The Chainlink

I am selling my Waterford R2200 frame and fork.  It was my training bike for the last 2 summers.  Since I can no longer race on the road, I don’t need a training bike anymore.

It is a 58cm Reynolds 853 steel lugged frame and fork.  The fork has a 1” steerer and I am including a quill stem adapter with it.  If you look it up on Waterford’s website you can see the geometry, it is built as a crit racing machine.  It has a bit of interesting history.  According to its serial number and previous owner, it was made in 1997 and never assembled.  I bought it from a guy in Louisville and when I got it I could see no evidence of it ever being assembled.  I bought it in Dec 2009 and built it up in Spring of 2010.  It has had 2 summers of training.  I didn’t ride it in the winter.  I did give the frame a rust preventative treatment.  It has a little cable rash on the top tube and it came with a small paint ship on the non-drive side chain stay.  I haven’t tried buffing the top tube yet.  It does have a coat of carnauba wax.  If you want a nice piece of custom American Made Steel this is your opportunity to get it cheap.  A new frame & fork lists at something like $2400!  I am only asking $950!

contact me at gm dot moderntile at gmail dot com

Views: 1392

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

stunning bike, too bad it's too tall for me.

Yes! pretty bike! 

Bump.

I was getting ready to take it apart and thought I would bump this to see if there was any interest before I have to deal with ebay.

It's a stunning bike but I think just about anything like this will net more as parts than it will as a whole bike.

Personally, I'd tear it down and try to sell all the components, frameset, and wheelset on CL before I stooped to PayBay.  At least you get to keep all of your money, don't have to mess around packing/shipping -and will get cash in hand right away, rather than having to wait 21 days for PayBay to come through with the money after hoping the customer doesn't claim they got an empty box or otherwise tries to rip you off.   Chicago is a huge bike market -there are plenty of people who will snap this bike up in pieces -especially after April 1 when people get the bike bug. It's still early and a lot of folks aren't even thinking about buying a new bike or bike parts. 

P.S.  A drive-side shot is usually very helpful -that's where all the candy is and you don't mention what level of components are on it.  The prospective buyer is left guessing...

PPS I also would not show a shot of it on the trainer.  When I see a nice bike on a trainer I think sweat/rust damage if the person wasn't careful.  If it were me I'd leave that shot out of any ads I put up trying to sell this bike.  I'm sure you were careful and put a towel down to catch the moisture but a prospective buyer might not assume that.  -just sayin'

I appreciate the advice.  April huh?  Been a long time since I have lived up north.  I forgot how much the seasons are different from Southern Illinois.  I was planning on selling the frame and fork only unless someone made a good offer on the complete bike. 

I was going to take the parts off of in and put them on my old Jake the Snake for a CX pit bike.  I will probably miss the 2012 cx season anyway so I have plenty of time to get that the Jake ready for 2013.  Hmmm, I am trying to switch all my stuff to Sram so maybe I could part it out....

2012 will be my first CX season.  I can't wait.  

My tastes in frames/components is a bit more pedestrian than yours...

Still pretty early in the build but I've got a bunch of time to get it finished before I start training on it.  I hope to have it finished by 1Apr12.

So far I've got about $350 invested.

CX is a blast.  Generally a laid back crowd until the 4Bs go off.  The 4B races in Chi are crazy.  I did that one in 2010 at Montrose Harbor at the State Championships because I had never raced CX in Chicago before.  It is crazy but fun. 

I was in this one:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjaGVjeOeNU

Make sure you keep an I out for the $1 sticking out of the rubber chicken!  Grab it!  The dollar I mean.

Was that you in the Gorilla suit?

I'll be entering in whatever the slowest n00b class for old 40-something fools I can get into.  I don't mind if I come in last place as long as I finish.  Then I'll work my way up from there slowly :-D

This bike is probably going to end up being nearly a 25lb beast as it is built around an old Trek 720 CroMo hybrid frame and Tier 1 components.  I will probably be at the very back of the pack -plus I'm not in very great shape yet.  It'll be a long summer getting ready so I have a lot to look forward to.

But it is an excellent excuse to get out there on the road and training the whole time. 

Weight doesn't matter so much in cx when you are starting.  That bike will be fine, it would be great down here on the trails we ride out cx bikes on. 

Just make sure you have a good set of pedals that will clean out easily and interupter brake handles.  I like crank candys because they are easy to get in/out and clean out easy, but every one has their on opinion on pedals.  Tires next, I started with Ritchey speedmax pros.  They were cheap and did reasonably well until you hit mud.  for mud: Michelin Mud or Vittoria cx XM Pro(which is the same tread pattern as Grifo which everyone likes on tubulars).  Tire pressure is always a debate.  I weigh 175 and I pinch flatted at 45.  I had to run 50-55.  Some can run clinchers at 40.

Practice mounting and dismounting.  That is where you can loose a lot of time.  just go out to the park or a field or something and practice.  Go slow you'll biff a couple of times but you'll get the hand of it.

Prolly too much info, but have fun anyway.

oh yeah, wasn't that a real gorilla?.  He was a strong rider especially for a big gorrilla

I'm coming from an extensive background in off-road racing -all motorized...

My bicycle racing background is total NADA.  I have never owned a set of clipless pedals and it's been years since I've tried clipped. 

My next task is to find a set of suitable bike shoes that fit me.  I've got super-wide but medium-small feet (8 or 8-1/2 EEEE) so it has been a struggle finding anything so far -in my budget or not.  When I find something that fits I'll get the matching pedals.  It is too bad that using platforms is probably not going to be doable in the long run so I might as well go clipless rather than mess around with platforms or platforms + Powerstraps or something like that in the short term. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service