The Chainlink

On Friday afternoon someone cut through my U-lock with an angle grinder!

In the middle of the afternoon!!  

Right after I got done warning someone about locking up with a cable lock.  

BYE BYE bike #2 to Chicago bike thieves. Great way to start the summer.

Views: 454

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

S&G's is no longer open 24 hours on the weekends but they open @ 5am which is at least 2 hours earlier than everyone discussed meeting.

Gabe said:
S&G's isn't 24hrs - they open at like 5 or 6 am and close at 4 pm
I'm up for the ride down to swap-o-rama as well.
My thoughts were that if the intent is to locate any stolen bike or bikes like this, it would be best to utilize an element of surprise. I would imagine that people who are in the business of selling stolen goods might decide to maintain a low profile on a day they know that something like this is planned.

Dr. Doom said:
I don't see what it hurts to have the conversation on a public list. If a hot bike dealer sees a mob gathering and decides not to sell at the swap meet that's... good! Do it a few times and it might get him thinking about other ways to spend his Saturday and put a little bit of a dent in the market, which strikes me as part of the point. Actually finding a stolen bike would just be a bonus.

Don't think we need anyone staying at home checking the stolen bike list, unless that stretch of Ashland has particularly bad 3G reception.
That really sucks, same thing happened to me right outside of my apartment.
I would totally go if my wheel hadn't been stolen three weeks ago :(

Ron said:
Sorry for your loss. I agree, U-locks suck and don't use one myself. It takes about 25 seconds to the models you have pictured, so perhaps no one actually saw the thief jack your bike.
The Flea market at 43rd and Ashland is littered with stolen shit. Some guys wait 6 months of more to put a bike out for sale. Easy to do since inventory cost is really cheap.

Perhaps a ride of about 40 or so people that visits this market every Saturday for a few weeks in row would reclaim some of these bikes. It would help if folks take and post pictures of their bikes especially the serial #. I'd be happy to sponsor coffee for the early morning ride and serve as a meetup place. I've gone to markets before and reclaimed property that I knew belonged to others. Trust me, they will very easily let you take it back. If there are 40 people staring them down, they may actually shit their pants. Have fun and reclaim other cyclists property. That's a win/win. Now who's in?
Which wheel was stolen? What type. I get a pretty good deal on new replacements. You could perhaps have it rolling again. Send me an email.

mattbikes1 said:
I would totally go if my wheel hadn't been stolen three weeks ago :(

Ron said:
Sorry for your loss. I agree, U-locks suck and don't use one myself. It takes about 25 seconds to the models you have pictured, so perhaps no one actually saw the thief jack your bike.
The Flea market at 43rd and Ashland is littered with stolen shit. Some guys wait 6 months of more to put a bike out for sale. Easy to do since inventory cost is really cheap.

Perhaps a ride of about 40 or so people that visits this market every Saturday for a few weeks in row would reclaim some of these bikes. It would help if folks take and post pictures of their bikes especially the serial #. I'd be happy to sponsor coffee for the early morning ride and serve as a meetup place. I've gone to markets before and reclaimed property that I knew belonged to others. Trust me, they will very easily let you take it back. If there are 40 people staring them down, they may actually shit their pants. Have fun and reclaim other cyclists property. That's a win/win. Now who's in?
Also, I was speaking of meeting at my shop. 1152 N. Milwaukee. We could buzz down to Halsted and be at 43rd street in 1/2hr? 35min?. I get coffee from Grinderman. He's a local cyclist that buy and roasts his own beans in his garage. Then delivers them by bicycle. Pretty tasty, I might add. Shameless plug here. You can read about him at my blog. www.lugschicago.blogspot.com
What is the meeting time?

Ron said:
Also, I was speaking of meeting at my shop. 1152 N. Milwaukee. We could buzz down to Halsted and be at 43rd street in 1/2hr? 35min?. I get coffee from Grinderman. He's a local cyclist that buy and roasts his own beans in his garage. Then delivers them by bicycle. Pretty tasty, I might add. Shameless plug here. You can read about him at my blog. www.lugschicago.blogspot.com
7:30 A.M. Hungover or not.

notoriousDUG said:

Ron said:
It was recommended earlier that we be at Swap-o-rama BY 7:30. what do you think about leaving a little earlier?

Ron said:

notoriousDUG said:

Ron said:
Well we could leave at 7:30 meet at 7:15. Any earlier, I think we risk too many no shows.
what do ya think?

Laura said:
It was recommended earlier that we be at Swap-o-rama BY 7:30. what do you think about leaving a little earlier?

Ron said:

notoriousDUG said:

Ron said:
I'll be there when ever and probably very hung over.

Someone should bring doughnuts.

Ron said:
Well we could leave at 7:30 meet at 7:15. Any earlier, I think we risk too many no shows.
what do ya think?

Laura said:

Ron said:

notoriousDUG said:

Ron said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service