The Chainlink

On Friday afternoon someone cut through my U-lock with an angle grinder!

In the middle of the afternoon!!  

Right after I got done warning someone about locking up with a cable lock.  

BYE BYE bike #2 to Chicago bike thieves. Great way to start the summer.

Views: 456

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't see what it hurts to have the conversation on a public list. If a hot bike dealer sees a mob gathering and decides not to sell at the swap meet that's... good! Do it a few times and it might get him thinking about other ways to spend his Saturday and put a little bit of a dent in the market, which strikes me as part of the point. Actually finding a stolen bike would just be a bonus.

Don't think we need anyone staying at home checking the stolen bike list, unless that stretch of Ashland has particularly bad 3G reception.
Nobody was talking about whether this conversation should be public . . .(?)

If someone has mobile web device chops, so much the better; I only suggested the home support because nobody with such a device has been willing to help on previous missions. As long as there's a way to check a bike against reports and contact the owner. It gets kind of retarded when you're standing there looking at bikes you 'just know' are stolen but have no way of being sure.

This is pretty amazing-- it sounds like you'll have 20 or more people there Saturday-- very inspiring that all the folks posting here are willing to get up at 6 AM on a Saturday morning to serve their local bike community!
Dr. Doom said:
I don't see what it hurts to have the conversation on a public list. If a hot bike dealer sees a mob gathering and decides not to sell at the swap meet that's... good! Do it a few times and it might get him thinking about other ways to spend his Saturday and put a little bit of a dent in the market, which strikes me as part of the point. Actually finding a stolen bike would just be a bonus.

Don't think we need anyone staying at home checking the stolen bike list, unless that stretch of Ashland has particularly bad 3G reception.
My worry would be that by sending the message they cannot sell at the flea market we are sending a message that it is easier to scrap bikes...

Dr. Doom said:

I think there's value in reducing the size of the market. So we're set. 5/8/10 7:30 am Swap-O-Rama. Anyone want to ride down from wicker park?

notoriousDUG said:
My worry would be that by sending the message they cannot sell at the flea market we are sending a message that it is easier to scrap bikes...

Dr. Doom said:

Halsted should get us almost all the way there. We should find a coffee shop on halsted to meet at. any suggestions? I think we should plan on leaving said location at 6:45 (damn thats early) to get there by 7:30. someone suggest a meeting spot and I'll make an event for it.

Kevin Conway said:
I think there's value in reducing the size of the market. So we're set. 5/8/10 7:30 am Swap-O-Rama. Anyone want to ride down from wicker park?

notoriousDUG said:

Dr. Doom said:

A coffee shop open before 7:00 am on a Saturday is a pretty tall order. Hollywood Grill at North and Ashland may be the only option.

Laura said:
Halsted should get us almost all the way there. We should find a coffee shop on halsted to meet at. any suggestions? I think we should plan on leaving said location at 6:45 (damn thats early) to get there by 7:30. someone suggest a meeting spot and I'll make an event for it.
I didn't see this on the events list... do you think you'll post it on there? Its just easier for keeping track of what's going on, and you'll probably get more people to show up. Of course, this is totally up to you obv. Cheers for having the idea.

p.s. Sorry about your bike Laura.

Ron said:
Sorry for your loss. I agree, U-locks suck and don't use one myself. It takes about 25 seconds to the models you have pictured, so perhaps no one actually saw the thief jack your bike.
The Flea market at 43rd and Ashland is littered with stolen shit. Some guys wait 6 months of more to put a bike out for sale. Easy to do since inventory cost is really cheap.

Perhaps a ride of about 40 or so people that visits this market every Saturday for a few weeks in row would reclaim some of these bikes. It would help if folks take and post pictures of their bikes especially the serial #. I'd be happy to sponsor coffee for the early morning ride and serve as a meetup place. I've gone to markets before and reclaimed property that I knew belonged to others. Trust me, they will very easily let you take it back. If there are 40 people staring them down, they may actually shit their pants. Have fun and reclaim other cyclists property. That's a win/win. Now who's in?
I thought the meeting place was Ron's or did I misunderstand his post?
I'm just being lazy--- didn't want to read through 4 pages of the thread to figure it out.

notoriousDUG said:
I thought the meeting place was Ron's or did I misunderstand his post?
I think S&G's on Lincoln and Wellington is open 24 hours on the weekends. They have a hugh area that is nearly empty at that hour. I'd love to join you but I cant on the 8th. I will in the future though.

Kevin Conway said:
A coffee shop open before 7:00 am on a Saturday is a pretty tall order. Hollywood Grill at North and Ashland may be the only option.

Laura said:
What would you recommend instead of a U-lock?

Ron said:
Sorry for your loss. I agree, U-locks suck and don't use one myself.
S&G's isn't 24hrs - they open at like 5 or 6 am and close at 4 pm

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service