The Chainlink

I am sure many of the other threads here touch on this topic to some degree but I would like to see this thread focus on the topic specifically.  Why do you feel that aside from what the rest of the world  sees as the norm, riding sans helmets, that all of the US feels inclined to always don a brain bucket and condone others when not doing the same?

Amsterdam

India

Denmark

China

Views: 3137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it's because we tend to "run" as opposed to "walk" our bikes.

Basically most of the commuters I encounter, myself included, tend to commute at a similar exertion level to that of someone going for a jog or run. While in communities where helmet use is rare, most cyclists probably ride at an exertion level closer to walking. At least that is the behavior I've observed in Frankfurt. Also the bikes in those communities tend toward the heavy utilitarian cruiser side negating any urge to ride harder. For instance, I don't see a single bike with drop bars in the OP pics. 

+1

Agreed—for me, it has a lot to do with speed, and the danger of falling when you're moving 15-20 mph. Also the proximity with fast-moving cars without a lot of space between. I'd like to add that the average car size on the roads in the U.S. is larger than in Europe. In total, it doesn't seem like this is the same experience as riding a bicycle somewhat slowly, surrounded by other cyclists.

My theory: It's a capitalist world. Helmet companies may have government lobbyists that may have suggested the preference of wearing a helmet.

Comparing statistics with China or Amsterdam is not a fair comparison. They have been a bike nation for much longer than we have. We are still riding on streets with cars deliberately aimed at bicyclists.

You know you can always get an argument support with Google if you use the correct search words. Try searching "why is eating poop good?" in Google. I mean, seriously?

Those are only photos to support your theory that you may have searched about not wearing helmets and are completely bias.

I can spend a day at the 606 and take photos of how many people not wear helmets there and completely rebut your argument.

Aaron said,
"but I am looking at the trigger that has our society as a whole more invested in cranial protection than other societies."

Aaron, the trigger has be, the need to protect ourselves from debilitating brain injury. British & American society seems to be more sensible and practical than others, except for the 'risk taker' types like you and many 'biker'-motorcyclists which you spoke of.

Again, it's totally fine with me, free choice and all that you know old chap. Cycle away in your ball cap, that's fine. In this hot weather many cyclists have stopped wearing their helmets due to feeling uncomfortable and overheated. Aaah, the air blowing through your hair,(or the surface area of your scalp) ! Yes, do what you wish !

1976 schwinn 13

Many cities, like Chicago, provide extensive well marked bike routes. Here, cyclists ride along the Magnificient Mile, Michigan Avenue. It's one of the many streets comprising Chicago's Bikeway network. Thousands of club cyclists take advantage of the city's scenic spots... for fun and recreation as well as commuting to the job.  Schwinn add copy, vintage 1976.  Looks like one helmet wearing rider.

The Center of Disease Control determined, "A fall from 4' or higher can cause brain injury."  This I believe is the catalyst for bicycle helmet compliance in the USA.  

More people wear helmets in America because it's a cultural thing. Culture, because the idea is passed from one person to another. Many people would rather not think for themselves ("So may choices! It's too hard!) so they look around and see what others are doing. Monkey see, monkey do. So they wear helmets because they see others wear them, or hear the repeated mantra to 'Be safe! Wear a helmet.' even though that has nothing to do with riding a bike safely. The choice of bike also feeds that. Road bikes became popular in the U.S., so many people got them, even they're more dangerous than other bikes (faster, more likely to take a bad bounce on a pothole, more likely to send a person headfirst over the handlebars, more crashes/falls due to the thin road tire getting stuck in a grate or crack). The greater danger, along with the 'helmet saved my life' anecdotes associated with this greater incidence of crashes, fuels the helmet mindset, when they should just get a safer bike instead.

I have a "safer" bike (i.e. a single speed townie)---and I do not wear my helmet when riding it because I'm generally moving slow, so i guess I get what you're saying.  When I'm riding a road bike though, and I'm hitting speeds plus 25 mph, I wear one.  

Call it monkey see, monkey do, if you want, and I'm sure you'll dismiss this as "anecdotal," but I've personally seen the helmets of two good friends that went down because of road hazards while riding fast.  In both instances the helmets looked bad enough that I can't even imagine what their heads would have looked like without one.  

Riding a road bike fast is fun, and entirely safe when roads aren't built for sh*t.  But I want to do it safely.  Fix roads so that I can do so without worrying about hitting a crack or pavement seam on a road I've never ridden before, and I'd gladly be willing to do so without a lid on.    

bump

This is a photo of traffic in India. Do you really want to ride around on a daily basis here?

Ruh roh

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service