The Chainlink

First, anyone watching the UFC fights tonight? I'll bring beer!

Second, any bikers around here who train in martial arts or use it as a type of crosstraining?
I train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu during the winter; does great things to strengthen the core. Curious if anyone else trains, competes, or is a fan on the 'Link?

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been training in aikido for about 9 years. I do not really think of it as cross training but I am sure it qualifies. Aikido is an integral part of my life; I cannot imagine not training. I currently train 3 times a week plus whatever things I might do on my own at home.

Core strength, balance, control, body awareness...all things I gain from my practice. A number of years ago I was hit by an idiotic motorist. My bike ended up under the front of her car. I end up on my feet just in front of her car...this despite having been actually hit. I attribute my martial arts training to having helped me to not go down with my bike and to even land on my feet.
I'm a huge fan; I'm actually working on a book proposal related to the sport. I've been watching the fights at Morgan's on Halsted lately, but am rethinking that since I was one of four people out of about 150 who was pulling for Sonnen last night.
I have actually been practicing martial arts on and off since I was kid. Few years of TaeKwonDo, but after a few soccer injuries I had to stop for a while. Most recently training in Muay Thai and Shidokan Karate. I would definitely consider it more cross training since I don't really have the time to train and compete seriously.

anyone watching near a blue line? I'm at work until 9 downtown.

p.s. does anyone know of a place where I can watch K1 fights?
It is true what Kevin says. If you wanna come by I can get you a free training session. I train MMA(mostly grappling, ground and pound, and boxing) Mon, tues, thurs. Then Muay Thai on Wed with former 9-time world champion Manson Gibson.

http://chicagofightclubs.com/home.aspx

Where do/did you train?

Kevin Conway said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service