The Chainlink

Does anyone know anything about what happened on the lakefront around North Ave this week?  I saw limited coverage of it.  I bring it up because of two things I noticed: the story in the Trib this morning said the jogger who was attacked called out "on your left" in the tunnel and was beaten for his trouble, and someone left this comment on the chicagobreakingnews.com site:

On the bike path by the beach south of McCormick Place yesterday, there were numerous young men blocking the path. They coolly walked out in front of oncoming bikers to force them off the path. They clearly hoped for a confrontation, but wise bikers simply slow down and go around them. I imagine the response to being hit by a cyclist, even though stepping in front of oncoming traffic would be the cause of the collision, would have been violent.

Bikers beware. There are young people looking for trouble on the lakefront bike path. They have not put away childish things. Do not give them the confrontation they so clearly desire.

Anyone else have any incidents to share?  I noticed the guys standing on the path around 31st St beach this week, but was able to go around without issue.  Be careful out there.

Views: 776

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder just how far you can go without technically "impersonating an officer?"
Could you mimic everything to a tee sans the word "police?"
Is it legal to ride with blinking blue lights?

PS. Get your regulation police kick stand

H3N3 said:
I wonder just how far you can go without technically "impersonating an officer?"
Could you mimic everything to a tee sans the word "police?"
I just rode from Lincoln and bryn Mayr to prominary point. I seldom ride the lfp at this time in this day in this direction. I cannot remember seeing this large a police presence. At least 3 groups of bike police. 2 mark squads on the path as well as an unmarked patrol car. Lastly 3-4 officers on foot patrol. My only gripe is the 25 mph headwind I hammered through to get here in 50 minutes has now died down to an occasional breeze. I sit here typing on my iPhone wearing a spandex kit waiting for the wind to pick back up
There's something wrong with you boy!

Michael A said:
I sit here...waiting for the wind to pick back up
Be careful what you wish for, The calm was brought on by a sudden rain shower, after which the wind shifted to be out of the south west, again riding home wet and into a headwind.....still a great ride

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35691295

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

Michael A said:
Nice Maximum Speed. The tailwind must have picked up.

Michael A said:
Be careful what you wish for, The calm was brought on by a sudden rain shower, after which the wind shifted to be out of the south west, again riding home wet and into a headwind.....still a great ride

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

Michael A said:
HAHA, I did not notice that, first major error I have seen the Garmin make, I am pretty sure max speed was 28ish

Kevin Conway said:

Michael A said:

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

Michael A said:
Dude when did it rain? We rode down LFP from bryn mawr to downtown around 9, and sat at navy pier talking til 1am.. I never felt a drop! Nice ride back.. Oh yeah, TONS of police presence early on, but didn't see any on the way north. Lots of teens milling about near the North Ave tunnel and chess area..

Michael A said:
HAHA, I did not notice that, first major error I have seen the Garmin make, I am pretty sure max speed was 28ish Kevin Conway said:

Michael A said:

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

Michael A said:
Happily riding home wet and into a headwind? - Get help. (And I don't mean the rocket engines you've apparently attached to one of your bikes)

Michael A said:
Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

Michael A said:
It was a brief rain shower that lasted about 10 minutes, I left promonary point at about 5:30 when it started to drizzle. It rained pretty hard, enough to make me and the path wet, by the time I got to 31st street it tapered off. Maybe I really do have dark rain cloud over me

Scott Hawley said:
Dude when did it rain? We rode down LFP from bryn mawr to downtown around 9, and sat at navy pier talking til 1am.. I never felt a drop! Nice ride back.. Oh yeah, TONS of police presence early on, but didn't see any on the way north. Lots of teens milling about near the North Ave tunnel and chess area..

Michael A said:
HAHA, I did not notice that, first major error I have seen the Garmin make, I am pretty sure max speed was 28ish Kevin Conway said:

Michael A said:

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

Michael A said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service