The Chainlink

Does anyone know anything about what happened on the lakefront around North Ave this week?  I saw limited coverage of it.  I bring it up because of two things I noticed: the story in the Trib this morning said the jogger who was attacked called out "on your left" in the tunnel and was beaten for his trouble, and someone left this comment on the chicagobreakingnews.com site:

On the bike path by the beach south of McCormick Place yesterday, there were numerous young men blocking the path. They coolly walked out in front of oncoming bikers to force them off the path. They clearly hoped for a confrontation, but wise bikers simply slow down and go around them. I imagine the response to being hit by a cyclist, even though stepping in front of oncoming traffic would be the cause of the collision, would have been violent.

Bikers beware. There are young people looking for trouble on the lakefront bike path. They have not put away childish things. Do not give them the confrontation they so clearly desire.

Anyone else have any incidents to share?  I noticed the guys standing on the path around 31st St beach this week, but was able to go around without issue.  Be careful out there.

Views: 776

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I rode Monroe to Promontory Point starting around 6pm last night (6/1) with no issues. Turned around and rode back up towards Wilson. Around 7pm, there were noticeably more young guys (and some rather dense families strolling in the left lane) on the path at 31st , requiring some maneuvering, but no confrontations. Noticed an ATV cop next to the beach house talking to some folks. Saw a lot more bike cops and ATVs around North Ave, along with the typical crowds. I hope they can keep the presence up through the summer. It feels like its needed.
On a side note (rant), its too bad they can't police stupidity:
- groups stopping to chat in the middle of the path, with park land all around;
- people walking in the wrong lane (and acting like you're the crazy one as you approach)
- people walking in the painted lanes in the stretches from Ohio to Oak, and Oak to North, with those WIDE paved areas next to the lanes;
- people who walk their dogs on their left, putting the more unpredictable animal in traffic
I'm glad I'm not alone, I too think things have gotten worse. It seems like this is the place for thugs to hang out and strut their stuff. I used to think south of McCormick place was safe, it's no longer the case. North Ave to Oak St is also horrible, nothing but groups of gang members and their female co-parts walking 5 wide looking for trouble. I don't understand why it all shifted to the lake this year.

I ride with my GF to train for RAGBRAI and it has not been a pleasant experience. I've been using the path since 2004 and this is the worst it's ever been. Tourists/irresponsible parents are a constant, but the thug action is new. I will be buying the same horn I used on my old BMX bike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Rz6i_Okw0
That and the bear spray should do the trick!
I rode both the south and north branches today, entering at 31st, riding down to the Point, then up north to Montrose and back down to 31st. There was an undercover patrol car on the trail between North and Fullerton with two cops in it and one of the new giant police SUV's just north of 31st on the way back. The cop driving the Suburban waved at me after I gave him a "you're kidding with a Suburban on the LFT, right" kind of look. I guess they are taking this seriously.
Article today about police patrols and new vid cams on the lakefront. Riding yesterday down the LFP I saw heavy police presence on bikes and in squad cars b/w North and Navy Pier.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-lakefront-police-pa...
I've been riding the South half of the LFP about twice a weekend for several years now. I've always noticed that around 31st Street beach, and a little south, the path is crowded with people of all generations, because so many families grill out along those parks on the weekends. I've always had to slow down there and yield to little kids running out into the path, or groups of people ambling along. But they've never seemed at all agressive toward me or other cyclists, except maybe some a-hole who raced through and refused to be safe on that stretch.
I ride the LFP at least three times a week in the mornings. There are hardly ever any police south of Navy Pier at that time. So far only tourists have been rude. Let's hope things get better and look out for other cyclists who might be in trouble.
heheheh... a funny thought comes to mind. if (from a distance) someone looked enough like a bicycle cop, they would be well on their way before a potential attacker could muster up the courage to attack.
Brilliant

*Buys mountain bike, aerospokes, baby blue vest, short shorts, sun glasses*

Will probably still get beaten up for looking like a douche.

shapeshifter said:
heheheh... a funny thought comes to mind. if (from a distance) someone looked enough like a bicycle cop, they would be well on their way before a potential attacker could muster up the courage to attack.
I've actually started making clothing/gear choices based on what conjures "cop"-- if it helps, why not use it. Anyone have a good pic of a Chicago bike cop? I think the toughest part for me would be the footwear-- it's those court shoes in black leather, right? Or has anyone seen any wearing sandals?

shapeshifter said:
Here ya go. Good luck pulling off that look. I think I would rather get punched in the face.

For real though I think these look like they could fill the need for your gear choice. However depending on what you're wearing they could scream biking golfer so watch what you wear with them. I found these on velo-orange.

H3N3 said:
I've actually started making clothing/gear choices based on what conjures "cop"-- if it helps, why not use it. Anyone have a good pic of a Chicago bike cop? I think the toughest part for me would be the footwear-- it's those court shoes in black leather, right? Or has anyone seen any wearing sandals?
shapeshifter said:
Thanks, Steve . . . I think I'd rather get punched in the face than caught in those shoes :-)

steve rulz said:
Here ya go. Good luck pulling off that look. I think I would rather get punched in the face.

For real though I think these look like they could fill the need for your gear choice. However depending on what you're wearing they could scream biking golfer so watch what you wear with them. I found these on velo-orange.

H3N3 said:
shapeshifter said:
When winter roles back around, here's your look:

H3N3 said:
shapeshifter said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service