The Chainlink

Been thinking about doing the TdS ride this year. I've seen videos on YouTube from the past 2 years and it looks like a blast. I've also read quite a few of the TdS threads here while searching before posting this question.

I was looking at the website, and saw that there is a pledge collection sheet, which brings me to my question. Is there a "minimum amount" that needs to be collected before being allowed to ride? I didn't see any mention of a certain amount, but I'd like to be sure before I think on this ride much more.

I've participated in past charity rides that required a minimum of $150 in pledges, which I always struggled to meet (usually had to make an extra donation myself at the end to make it). Never was too good at talking people into donating to a good cause, and I am hoping to avoid having to do a really hard sell to get pledges.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Views: 1596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hobart, IN? Or was it Hammond, IN?

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

Last year the first day of the ride was on Bike to Work Rally day and the t-shirt last year was pretty cool, so I went there first!  Rode very early from Belmont Harbor down to the Daley Center before going over to Millenium Park for the start.  Fortunately, the first day's ride was pretty flat all the way around except for a gigantic bridge overpass in--I think--Hobart, Indiana.  The second, shorter, day was the terrain of the Apple Cider.  And it rained a little just to add to the fun.  On the other hand, the barbecue at the end was really good. 

It could have been Hammond.  We went through both on the first day, but I don't remember the route well enough to be sure.  I do remember it seeming like a really big hill and we had to stop at a light almost at the bottom so there was no chance of getting any real momentum as I approached it.  Of course, I have better gearing on the LHT than I have on the Linus, so maybe it won't look so big this year. :-)

That sounds like Hammond, IN. A fun little bridge indeed.

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

It could have been Hammond.  We went through both on the first day, but I don't remember the route well enough to be sure.  I do remember it seeming like a really big hill and we had to stop at a light almost at the bottom so there was no chance of getting any real momentum as I approached it.  Of course, I have better gearing on the LHT than I have on the Linus, so maybe it won't look so big this year. :-)

Duppie is probably right that it was Hammond.  Nice detour, Adam, but then what would I have to whine about and how would I feel when everyone else rode up the hill and I didn't?  Now that I am thinking about it, it seems to me that not only did we have to ride up the hill but we also had to make a left turn at the bottom of it.  Of maybe I am just having nightmares.

Adam C said:

If that's the overpass just north of Sibley, I'd detour around it. I'd take Michigan east to Sohl, then Sohl south to Sibley, then Sibley west to the trail by the FBC parking garage. Yes, I hate hills of any kind LOL.

Duppie said:

That sounds like Hammond, IN. A fun little bridge indeed.

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

le Tour de Shore 2014 - registration is now open and at least once camping space has been taken :)

https://www.bikereg.com/Net/letourdeshore

When I registered there was an OPTION to receive information on donation pack.   I added a donation to my registration.    

This will be my first time and I am really looking froward to it.  I tried to register last year but the camping spots were full when I tried.  

The camping sells out quickly.  The tour itself does not.  I know someone who registered in late May last year with no problem.

Adam C said:

Does this event usually sell out pretty fast? I'm waiting on an insurance settlement check and once I get that, then I'll be able to register. Hopefully I'll be getting it within the next couple of weeks, and I don't want to miss out.

Yes, the camping option sells out VERY fast.  I would sign up within the next couple of days if you want to camp.  There are only 80 spots.  Actually, I'm sure there are less than that. I'm signed up, and I know of a few others who are signed up as well.  

On another note be VERY careful with the all dates they have on the website and also what they have reported to BikeReg.com to list.   Someone in charge of the TdS website and their information must have Calender Dyslexia as it seems to always be messed up somewhere.

The BikeReg confirmation email says that, "Ride Cue Sheet and Maps will be handed out at Start of Ride June 14 7:30am McDonalds Cycle Center (Millennium Park)239 E. Randolph St., Chicago, IL 60601. Looking forward to riding with you."

Um, the ride starts on Friday JUNE 13th -not the 14th.   That's kind of important...

A couple of years ago on the TdS website they had the dates really mixed/screwed up for the gear drop-offs times/dates/hours for the camping option.  Double-check this stuff.  

Just a head's up.

Adam C said:

Does this event usually sell out pretty fast? I'm waiting on an insurance settlement check and once I get that, then I'll be able to register. Hopefully I'll be getting it within the next couple of weeks, and I don't want to miss out.

How secure are the bikes during the overnight? At the camping, do you just lock them near your tent or is there some kind of storage?

If choosing the Hotel option, can you bring the bike into your room for security?

Last year I stayed at the Best Western in Chesterton.  We brought our bikes into our rooms with no problem. I am pretty sure the people who stayed at the Waterbird, which is right next door to the Best Western, also brought their bikes into their rooms.

Tom Z said:

How secure are the bikes during the overnight? At the camping, do you just lock them near your tent or is there some kind of storage?

If choosing the Hotel option, can you bring the bike into your room for security?

Security is a little lax IMHO.

I'm not at all worried about the overnight camping but when they unload the bikes from the trucks, once they arrive back in Chicago on Randolph,  they basically just prop them all up against the wall on the sidewalk.  

People just pick up their own bikes out of the pile.  There is zero stopping anyone from just picking any bike they like and wheeling off with it. No claim tickets, no nothing.  If the bus you're in comes a little later than the rest of the buses (due to traffic) they are sitting there exposed for a while.   

I would prefer some sort of claim-check system.  There are a lot of bikes and a lot of folks picking through them for their own.  More than one truckload of bikes, more than one busload of folks riding back, a lot of bikes sitting out for the taking, and a lot of random folks coming and going picking through them for their own.   It's chaos.  It's just a little bit too "honor system" for me in this honor-less City.   I'd lock my bike with a U-lock on the truck but all that would do is make someone need to carry it away rather than roll it.  Perhaps I'm just paranoid.  I don't think there has ever been a problem. 

Last year was my first on TdS, and it was chaotic at the end.  It seemed that the buses and the trucks were there at about the same time.  One thing I learned was to know what truck your bike is on!  I did not check the number of the truck that they put my bike on, and was not sure which truck to watch when we got to Chicago.

James BlackHeron said:

Security is a little lax IMHO.

I'm not at all worried about the overnight camping but when they unload the bikes from the trucks, once they arrive back in Chicago on Randolph,  they basically just prop them all up against the wall on the sidewalk.  

People just pick up their own bikes out of the pile.  There is zero stopping anyone from just picking any bike they like and wheeling off with it. No claim tickets, no nothing.  If the bus you're in comes a little later than the rest of the buses (due to traffic) they are sitting there exposed for a while.   

I would prefer some sort of claim-check system.  There are a lot of bikes and a lot of folks picking through them for their own.  More than one truckload of bikes, more than one busload of folks riding back, a lot of bikes sitting out for the taking, and a lot of random folks coming and going picking through them for their own.   It's chaos.  It's just a little bit too "honor system" for me in this honor-less City.   I'd lock my bike with a U-lock on the truck but all that would do is make someone need to carry it away rather than roll it.  Perhaps I'm just paranoid.  I don't think there has ever been a problem. 

So awesome to hear about the Pizza Fire Truck.  Soooooooooo Yummy!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service