The Chainlink

New Belgium Brewing’s Tour de Fat Rolls into Chicago

On July 13 for a Day of Bikes, Beer and Bemusement

Don’t Miss Mucca Pazza and Headlining Act Reggie Watts!

CHICAGO, IL 2 JULY 2013 – If dressing freaky, riding bikes, listening to bands and drinking beer are things you like, then don’t miss the most FUN fundraiser around … Tour de Fat is coming back to town! New Belgium Brewing, maker of Fat Tire Amber Ale and other award-winning beers, is bringing the 14th annual Tour de Fat to Chicago on Saturday, 13 July in Palmer Square.

Gather up your friends, family and neighbors and come enjoy eclectic entertainment and stellar beer, all while helping local bicycle nonprofits raise funds. The event is free, yet all proceeds from beer and merchandise sales and donations from parade participants will help make Chicago a better place to ride a bike. Last year, approximately 4,500 people came to the festival and raised more than $26,500 for West Town Bikes.

To properly kick-start the festival, Tour de Fat begins with a giant bicycle parade that weaves through city streets. Each parade route is designed for people of all skill levels; everyone is welcome and colorful costumes are encouraged. For the rest of the afternoon, the stages heat up with world-class acts like Reggie Watts and Mucca Pazza and the park becomes a celebration unlike any other.

Kids of all ages can ride funky bikes, eat delicious fare, relax in the grass, and participate in games and activities such as a “Thousand Person Dance Contest”, which will determine the winner of a 2013 New Belgium Cruiser Bike. Everyone 21 and older can sample new and classic favorites from New Belgium, including the brewery’s flagship brew, Fat Tire, this summer’s seasonal, Rolle Bolle, and selections from the acclaimed Lips of Faith series.

Parade Registration: 10:00 a.m.

Ride Times: 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

Entertainment: 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Headliner: Reggie Watts

Performances By: Mucca Pazza

Sustainable Support: Illinois Recycling Association

Benefitting:

Views: 2652

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you can keep it with you, but I'll have to double check with the TDF organizers. I'll be tied up this morning into early afternoon, so I'll get an answer to you later today.

kiltedcelt said:

I'll be in attendance, but I'm wondering  - is parking your bike mandatory, or can you keep it with you, assuming you don't mind maneuvering it around all the other people in attendance?

That may work if you are willing to hang around the fringes. But in front of the stage it does get too busy to carry your bike around, and at the second stage you can't really see the action without sitting down in the stands. Then there usually is a little tent where shows are taking place. No bikes allowed inside.

So yes, if you want to miss out on all the fun, then do carry your bike around all day. ;)

kiltedcelt said:

I'll be in attendance, but I'm wondering  - is parking your bike mandatory, or can you keep it with you, assuming you don't mind maneuvering it around all the other people in attendance?

Exactly! Unlike most festivals, historically there has never been a fence or anything funneling attendees through any kind of checkpoints at which you'd be denied entrance with your bike. That is one of the many aspects of Tour de Fat which make it hands down the best summer festival we get in Chicago. (it is sad that our best festival is not of local origin...)

That said, as the Dupp notes, it can get pretty crowded around the stages so if you must drag your bike around with you, please be mindful that you will be nearly as annoying to your fellow festival goers as someone pushing a god forsaken stroller - and you won't have the benefit of the adorable child(s) to make up for it. (I assume.)

If your bike is so valuable that you can't bear locking it up for a few hours at a park in broad daylight with hundreds of other bikes and cyclists around, then I might suggest that you look into getting an additional bike - more of a beater that you can ride more and worry about less. 

Duppie 13.5185km said:

That may work if you are willing to hang around the fringes. But in front of the stage it does get too busy to carry your bike around, and at the second stage you can't really see the action without sitting down in the stands. Then there usually is a little tent where shows are taking place. No bikes allowed inside.

So yes, if you want to miss out on all the fun, then do carry your bike around all day. ;)

kiltedcelt said:

Thanks for clarifying that Duppie!

Duppie 13.5185km said:

kiltedcelt said:

Another great response, thanks Tony!

Tony Adams 7 mi (dirtbag hipstr) said:

Exactly! Unlike most festivals, historically there has never been a fence or anything funneling attendees through any kind of checkpoints at which you'd be denied entrance with your bike. That is one of the many aspects of Tour de Fat which make it hands down the best summer festival we get in Chicago. (it is sad that our best festival is not of local origin...)

That said, as the Dupp notes, it can get pretty crowded around the stages so if you must drag your bike around with you, please be mindful that you will be nearly as annoying to your fellow festival goers as someone pushing a god forsaken stroller - and you won't have the benefit of the adorable child(s) to make up for it. (I assume.)

If your bike is so valuable that you can't bear locking it up for a few hours at a park in broad daylight with hundreds of other bikes and cyclists around, then I might suggest that you look into getting an additional bike - more of a beater that you can ride more and worry about less. 

Duppie 13.5185km said:

kiltedcelt said:

Last year's TdF was on July 21.

No reports of thefts associated with the event received:

http://chicago.stolenbike.org/event/2012-07

(and all reported thefts on that day were either cable locked or not locked.)

You could but you'd be the jerk in everyone's way.  There is usually plenty of secure parking.

kiltedcelt said:

If you volunteer at The Chainlink table you can store your bike there while you are there.  Before and after just ask the other volunteers if they are ok with you leaving the bike there.

>>>Sign up for a time slot here 

what a great event! Thanks to all who make it possible.

Glad you enjoyed the event. I'm just a tiny little part of the "all" but your thanks is greatly appreciated!

h' 1.0 said:

what a great event! Thanks to all who make it possible.

My 3rd year at TdF. Was great as usual. Best improvement over previous years? Finally enough food choices.

The assortment of food trucks was nice this year.  Sort of thought it strange that the organizers never had any food vendors.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

My 3rd year at TdF. Was great as usual. Best improvement over previous years? Finally enough food choices.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service