The Chainlink

New Belgium Brewing’s Tour de Fat Rolls into Chicago

On July 13 for a Day of Bikes, Beer and Bemusement

Don’t Miss Mucca Pazza and Headlining Act Reggie Watts!

CHICAGO, IL 2 JULY 2013 – If dressing freaky, riding bikes, listening to bands and drinking beer are things you like, then don’t miss the most FUN fundraiser around … Tour de Fat is coming back to town! New Belgium Brewing, maker of Fat Tire Amber Ale and other award-winning beers, is bringing the 14th annual Tour de Fat to Chicago on Saturday, 13 July in Palmer Square.

Gather up your friends, family and neighbors and come enjoy eclectic entertainment and stellar beer, all while helping local bicycle nonprofits raise funds. The event is free, yet all proceeds from beer and merchandise sales and donations from parade participants will help make Chicago a better place to ride a bike. Last year, approximately 4,500 people came to the festival and raised more than $26,500 for West Town Bikes.

To properly kick-start the festival, Tour de Fat begins with a giant bicycle parade that weaves through city streets. Each parade route is designed for people of all skill levels; everyone is welcome and colorful costumes are encouraged. For the rest of the afternoon, the stages heat up with world-class acts like Reggie Watts and Mucca Pazza and the park becomes a celebration unlike any other.

Kids of all ages can ride funky bikes, eat delicious fare, relax in the grass, and participate in games and activities such as a “Thousand Person Dance Contest”, which will determine the winner of a 2013 New Belgium Cruiser Bike. Everyone 21 and older can sample new and classic favorites from New Belgium, including the brewery’s flagship brew, Fat Tire, this summer’s seasonal, Rolle Bolle, and selections from the acclaimed Lips of Faith series.

Parade Registration: 10:00 a.m.

Ride Times: 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

Entertainment: 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Headliner: Reggie Watts

Performances By: Mucca Pazza

Sustainable Support: Illinois Recycling Association

Benefitting:

Views: 2652

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I won't be held responsible for the outcome of your second tattoo, but I'll take partial responsibility for how many beers you drink!

Julie Hochstadter said:

why did you just tell me that?  I'm ready for a second!

Carmelita Sams said:

Our WTB youth instructor, Lebster does tattoos. Come to the Tour de Fat, drink some beers, be entertained, and get tattooed! He he, in no particular order.

Dann B (5.25 mi/8.75 mi) said:

Dammit!  I have a tattoo appointment that day, and my artist has become REALLY hard to book with recently so I can't cancel.

Somebody ask them if they can move the date by a week, so I can go

Sooo, are they going to make Reggie Watts clean up his material for this family-friendly event, or are there going to be a bunch of upset parents of young children as f-bombs rain down from the PA?

I certainly hope Watts keeps it clean!

Martin C said:

Sooo, are they going to make Reggie Watts clean up his material for this family-friendly event, or are there going to be a bunch of upset parents of young children as f-bombs rain down from the PA?

I feel like there was a little more advance notice this year...got it into my calendar in time to avoid being scheduled to work that day.

Bikefreeek said:

Roll Call: Who's going to (IMHO) the most fun bike event this summer!?!

How is bike parking handled at this event after the parade? Will there be a large bike corral of some kind where bikes can be locked up?

Hi JimmyD! At last year's event there was a huge bike corral similar to the one in the photo below. I'm sure there will be provisions for locking your bike up this year as well.

JimmyD 3.75 mi said:

How is bike parking handled at this event after the parade? Will there be a large bike corral of some kind where bikes can be locked up?

Some folks have concerns as to whether or not the TDF is a "family" friendly event. There will be activities for kids of ALL ages. However, the last performer, Reggie Watts, has been known to use a lot of profanity. Hopefully he'll clean up his act for this event.

Keep in mind that Watts is scheduled for 4pm so you'll have plenty of time to enjoy activities and entertainment with your kids before then.

The following excerpt is from West Town Bikes' website and includes the Tour de Fat line up:

Gather up your friends, family and neighbors and come enjoy eclectic entertainment and stellar beer, all while helping West Town Bikes raise funds. The event is free, yet all proceeds from beer and merchandise sales and donations from parade participants will help make Chicago a better place to ride a bike. Last year, approximately 4,500 people came to the festival and raised more than $26,500 for West Town Bikes.

LINE UP
10am: Parade Registration
11am: Danger Zone Parade Launch
12pm: Scot Nery Show
12:30pm: Honeymoon Cabaret
1:15pm: Slow Ride
1:30pm: Mucca Pazzza
2:15pm: Stunt Pepper Dance Contest
2:40pm: Yo-Yo People
3:30pm: Car for Bike Trade
4:00pm: Reggie Watts

There's already been a Tour de Gras of sorts started, but not by New Belgium Brewing. It's a spoof commercial for Jolt Energy Drink. Check out the video for a quick laugh!

http://youtu.be/ZXW2xQ8KOeY

Evan said:

Shouldn't it be "Tour de Gras"? 

Anyway I love New Belgium - check out their IPAs...

Mucca Paza musician, Sssnake, just did a 60+ second shout-out for TdF on WBEZ's Morning Shift!

Thanks for the info Carmelita!

Another question....

I have already registered for TdF online and I know that admission is free; but I recall seeing a $5 registration for the parade somewhere online from last years event.

Is there a registration fee for the parade? If so, how much is it per person?

Carmelita Sams said:

Hi JimmyD! At last year's event there was a huge bike corral similar to the one in the photo below. I'm sure there will be provisions for locking your bike up this year as well.

JimmyD 3.75 mi said:

Thank you for registering in advance JimmyD! The TDF parade is free as well. What you probably are referring to is the $5 suggested donation to benefit West Town Bikes. It's not mandatory, however.

JimmyD 3.75 mi said:

Thanks for the info Carmelita!

Another question....

I have already registered for TdF online and I know that admission is free; but I recall seeing a $5 registration for the parade somewhere online from last years event.

Is there a registration fee for the parade? If so, how much is it per person?

Carmelita Sams said:

JimmyD 3.75 mi said:

OK, thanks for the clarification... I'll be happy to donate!

Carmelita Sams said:

Thank you for registering in advance JimmyD! The TDF parade is free as well. What you probably are referring to is the $5 suggested donation to benefit West Town Bikes. It's not mandatory, however.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service