The Chainlink

New Belgium Brewing’s Tour de Fat Rolls into Chicago

On July 13 for a Day of Bikes, Beer and Bemusement

Don’t Miss Mucca Pazza and Headlining Act Reggie Watts!

CHICAGO, IL 2 JULY 2013 – If dressing freaky, riding bikes, listening to bands and drinking beer are things you like, then don’t miss the most FUN fundraiser around … Tour de Fat is coming back to town! New Belgium Brewing, maker of Fat Tire Amber Ale and other award-winning beers, is bringing the 14th annual Tour de Fat to Chicago on Saturday, 13 July in Palmer Square.

Gather up your friends, family and neighbors and come enjoy eclectic entertainment and stellar beer, all while helping local bicycle nonprofits raise funds. The event is free, yet all proceeds from beer and merchandise sales and donations from parade participants will help make Chicago a better place to ride a bike. Last year, approximately 4,500 people came to the festival and raised more than $26,500 for West Town Bikes.

To properly kick-start the festival, Tour de Fat begins with a giant bicycle parade that weaves through city streets. Each parade route is designed for people of all skill levels; everyone is welcome and colorful costumes are encouraged. For the rest of the afternoon, the stages heat up with world-class acts like Reggie Watts and Mucca Pazza and the park becomes a celebration unlike any other.

Kids of all ages can ride funky bikes, eat delicious fare, relax in the grass, and participate in games and activities such as a “Thousand Person Dance Contest”, which will determine the winner of a 2013 New Belgium Cruiser Bike. Everyone 21 and older can sample new and classic favorites from New Belgium, including the brewery’s flagship brew, Fat Tire, this summer’s seasonal, Rolle Bolle, and selections from the acclaimed Lips of Faith series.

Parade Registration: 10:00 a.m.

Ride Times: 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

Entertainment: 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Headliner: Reggie Watts

Performances By: Mucca Pazza

Sustainable Support: Illinois Recycling Association

Benefitting:

Views: 2650

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There were some food trucks last year also, but yes, more this year. My vote for best improvement was the Lips of Faith beer tent with kegs of limited production ales. The Pluot (pluot is a hybrid of plum and apricot) was great, as was the Paadebloem - (Dandelion Greens, Grains of Paradise). I also loved the Rampant IPA. The line for Lips of Faith was kind of long, but it moved fast and by definition everyone in the line was interested in beer, so the conversations were great. 

My vote for "was better last year" was the headliner. Los Amigos Invisibles last year was a transcendental life changing experience. Reggie Watts was funny, but he was pretty non-compelling. I didn't even stick around for the end of his set. 

Jared said:

The assortment of food trucks was nice this year.  Sort of thought it strange that the organizers never had any food vendors.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

My 3rd year at TdF. Was great as usual. Best improvement over previous years? Finally enough food choices.

Next year it would be nice if the last call were included in the published schedule. We arrived thirsty after riding over from Edgewater at 4:35 (the earliest we could make it), hoping to catch the tail end of the festival, only to discover that no beer was being served after 4:30.

+1 on the kudos - this is my 5th? 4th? TdF and once again it's my favorite Chicago summer fest, too (hi Tony), but man, this year was CROWDED! I've never seen so many normal-looking people there...weird. 

I hope West Town made lots of cash!

I saw Lebster today while commuting to work !!!  we had a great chat on Chicago Ave. and then

he peeled off for coffee at Star Lounge.

After his coffee he would have blown my doors off....

three cheers for WTB and TdF and tattoos.....

DB

Hi Sarah! DNAInfo says that West Town got $35k!

Sarah D. 1-3.3 said:

+1 on the kudos - this is my 5th? 4th? TdF and once again it's my favorite Chicago summer fest, too (hi Tony), but man, this year was CROWDED! I've never seen so many normal-looking people there...weird. 

I hope West Town made lots of cash!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service