The Chainlink

I was wondering what the etiquette is on this. From what I've read, they don't make a lot and online searches don't give any consensus.  What's the standard in Chicago and if it's expected, how much?  What about tipping on work that is done under warranty?

Views: 1812

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you don't support your internet parts supplier they are going to go out of business and put good people out of work...
I prefer to support the employees that work for places I can walk into and hold someone accountable.

James Baum said:
If you don't support your internet parts supplier they are going to go out of business and put good people out of work...

I like that this became a debate of austrian economics and whether or not people have free will in the workforce.   I'm a bike mechanic and I enjoy when people tip me.  I also love what I do and am more dependent on steady business to make an hourly wage. 

If you can't tip or do not feel like it, that's fine.  It isn't expected.  As for standards, I'd say 80-90% of folks do not tip and those that do generally give in the $2-10 range although beer and food do seem to be acceptable to many mechanics. 

James, while you're welcome at any bike shop, I hope that your opposition to tipping keeps you out of restaurants.

Paul, I hope you didn't read that I am in opposition to tipping -I'm not.  I was in opposition to anyone who said I could NOT tip.  I'll tip or not tip as I feel fit (even over-tip sometimes because that's my choice.) And I'll fight for anyone else's right to do the same and to enter into mutualy-agreed-upon  contracts in exchange for labor and or other value at what ever rates they wish without outside interference from governmental, pseudo-governmental, or guild bosses telling them it is for too little or too much.  

As an espouser of the true Free Market how could I expect any less?

Paul Fitz, Scrabblor said:

I like that this became a debate of austrian economics and whether or not people have free will in the workforce.   I'm a bike mechanic and I enjoy when people tip me.  I also love what I do and am more dependent on steady business to make an hourly wage. 

If you can't tip or do not feel like it, that's fine.  It isn't expected.  As for standards, I'd say 80-90% of folks do not tip and those that do generally give in the $2-10 range although beer and food do seem to be acceptable to many mechanics. 

James, while you're welcome at any bike shop, I hope that your opposition to tipping keeps you out of restaurants.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service