The Chainlink

I was wondering what the etiquette is on this. From what I've read, they don't make a lot and online searches don't give any consensus.  What's the standard in Chicago and if it's expected, how much?  What about tipping on work that is done under warranty?

Views: 1808

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know what bike mechanic makes. That's between him and his boss and if he needs more dough he should take it up with him.

A roofer, car mechanic and lawyer better have some customer interaction if I'm the customer, otherwise how would they know what I need done? And I sure as Hell ain't tipping them.

I usually tip with a 6er of beer. But I do most of my own work so that isn't too often. Get to know your mechanic, and tip with cash or something you know they like (like beer). Mmm, beer.
I agree that the mechanic should state his wage up front and expect that wage when his work is done. That may sound cold but, the mechanic's tip is my return, to this shop, and request for his service. That means his service is worth his cost and my frequent return makes him his bread and butter. Tipping hurts me more and that hurt may make me unable to return for his service frequently.

Cameron Puetz said:
Agreed, personally I hate tipping. The salary of the person performing the work is part of the cost of a service and in my opinion should be included in the upfront cost of said service, not tacked on by the customer in the form of a tip. When I perform work my expected pay is declared upfront and I would hate to be in the position of people who work for tips where after I did some work, the client paid what they thought was good.

That said I still tip the service jobs where it’s expected because I don’t want to take my frustration with the system out on somebody who’s just trying to make a living and is really the tipping system’s biggest victim. Although I’d much rather business pay their employees properly and charge a price upfront that included labor rather than count on customers taking on a little extra to make up for low salaries.

S said:

I'd think that if bike mechanics are being paid so little that they're not earning a living wage, that it'd be better to advocate for the mechanics to be paid a living wage and only get service at shops that pay living wages rather than forcing bike mechanics to depend on tips to survive.  If they go above and beyond that's one thing to create an expectation for tipping would result in reduced wages for the mechanics since they'd make it up on tips (which will probably never happen).

People don't typically tip car mechanics, electricians, plumbers, etc.  and bike mechanics shouldn't be different.  They should be getting a fair wage to start with and which doesn't require them to depend on regular tips to survive.

There are only so many jobs and so much money out there.  You are either don't make much or you don't work on bikes; sad but true.  Consider this: Most people find bike service to be 'too expensive' and are frequently upset with the cost of labor.  Shops can only charge so much ans expect to keep customers; how does the employer provide the better wage?

Old Tom said:

I don't know what bike mechanic makes. That's between him and his boss and if he needs more dough he should take it up with him.

A roofer, car mechanic and lawyer better have some customer interaction if I'm the customer, otherwise how would they know what I need done? And I sure as Hell ain't tipping them.

No one is making anyone tip anyone; it's your choice.

Elihu Blanks said:
I agree that the mechanic should state his wage up front and expect that wage when his work is done. That may sound cold but, the mechanic's tip is my return, to this shop, and request for his service. That means his service is worth his cost and my frequent return makes him his bread and butter. Tipping hurts me more and that hurt may make me unable to return for his service frequently.

Cameron Puetz said:
Agreed, personally I hate tipping. The salary of the person performing the work is part of the cost of a service and in my opinion should be included in the upfront cost of said service, not tacked on by the customer in the form of a tip. When I perform work my expected pay is declared upfront and I would hate to be in the position of people who work for tips where after I did some work, the client paid what they thought was good.

That said I still tip the service jobs where it’s expected because I don’t want to take my frustration with the system out on somebody who’s just trying to make a living and is really the tipping system’s biggest victim. Although I’d much rather business pay their employees properly and charge a price upfront that included labor rather than count on customers taking on a little extra to make up for low salaries.

S said:

I'd think that if bike mechanics are being paid so little that they're not earning a living wage, that it'd be better to advocate for the mechanics to be paid a living wage and only get service at shops that pay living wages rather than forcing bike mechanics to depend on tips to survive.  If they go above and beyond that's one thing to create an expectation for tipping would result in reduced wages for the mechanics since they'd make it up on tips (which will probably never happen).

People don't typically tip car mechanics, electricians, plumbers, etc.  and bike mechanics shouldn't be different.  They should be getting a fair wage to start with and which doesn't require them to depend on regular tips to survive.

Or, don't tip them. Then they'll take super good care of ME when I do!
Just don't tip the cop when he writes you a ticket -they get touchy about that stuff...
I see there is no consensus here either.  : )
Just want to point out re: the minimum wage and the living wage that even Hayek and Friedman actually supported a minimum guaranteed income. I don't mean that as an appeal to authority, it is just a non-controversial point among everyone from Austrians to Marxists that it makes a lot of sense.

To address the original question, (1) Chicagoland shops do generally tend to pay less than other big bike markets (2) There isn't the tipping culture here that you find elsewhere.

The exception to (2) may be at the pro shops, where it's certainly more common. But still quite different than other cities... more like "here are a few extra bucks for doing a good job" as opposed to "here's an extra $100 for rushing this wheelbuild".

(Not that I subscribe, but) here's what Bicycling magazine has to say about Bike Shop Etiquette.

I'd also like to add to the discussion that bike shops make very little money. When average markup on new bikes is only 40% you may come to appreciate that the folks who are working in the industry are doing it because they love bicycling and want to put more people on bikes. If you consider yourself a bike advocate or activist I would encourage you to help support those who actually keep people rolling on their bikes. They're working hard for little and love when people acknowledge it.

The Bicycling article hits on an important point, one that is far more important to the mechanic at your LBS than tipping.

Buy your parts at a LBS, The internet and great deals are a wonderful thing but they are not going to keep the doors of the bike shop that takes care of you when you have a problem open.

Bikefreeek said:

(Not that I subscribe, but) here's what Bicycling magazine has to say about Bike Shop Etiquette.

I'd also like to add to the discussion that bike shops make very little money. When average markup on new bikes is only 40% you may come to appreciate that the folks who are working in the industry are doing it because they love bicycling and want to put more people on bikes. If you consider yourself a bike advocate or activist I would encourage you to help support those who actually keep people rolling on their bikes. They're working hard for little and love when people acknowledge it.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service