The Chainlink

You blew the red light east bound on Lawrence at Damen at 5:26 pm this evening.

There was enough time for the biker in front of me to make it half way into the intersection, northbound on Damen, before you came whizzing past my front wheel.

I yelled "You're an idiot!" at your big haired chick, self, and you looked back at me. I meant it!

I woulda testified for any of the cars, that managed to not kill you, if they had.

Keep riding like a tard!

love,

gabe

Witness bad behavior during your commute? Feel free to post. Maybe that lovely human can read it and think they are famous. Maybe you can also inspire the whole generation of kids to shower but we can start with small things.

Views: 105315

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

+1

You are seriously telling me that somebody honking while they pass you is your idea of threatening behavior? 

Get over yourself, you are the exact opposite of a hero and the next time somebody yells at me for no reason or tells me cyclists are jerks I will remember to thank you for that.

Kevin C said:

We all live in a big city. Honking in traffic, though not a particularly articulate means of communication, is a means of communication nonetheless. I'm sorry you were put into a position by a driver where you felt threatened or at risk. Whether their act was intentional or inadvertent, by the time you decided to assault the driver, the threat had already passed. You were safe. You may also have missed a teaching moment. If you wanted to talk to the driver at the red light, and could have done it civily-great. If you think you have somehow taught her a constructive lesson by striking her window with enough force that you are surprised you didn't break the window or your hand, I think you're wrong. The most probable lesson she took from the experience is that bike riders are assholes. I'm sorry you can't see the difference, and no, I don't think you are a hero, or that you behaved heroically.

Zoetrope said:

I guess that's one way of looking at a response to an act of physical and audible intimidation against a fellow cyclist.  Aren't you a cop?  Very telling...

The reality of the situation last night was the driver sped past me on a very narrow stretch of pavement and was using the horn as a way of saying "Get out of my way, or I will hit you".  The driver got the point, and she won't be startling any more newbs or causing accidents because of her horn.  I'm a hero, and you're the asshole.  Asshole.  :)

Kevin C said:

I'll see your asshole move and raise you my own asshole move. 

You said I assaulted the driver when I did not, and that's a jerky thing to do.  Reading your goofy philosophizing on the car horn as means of communication and preachy wannabe-zen platitudes aren't going to convince me my reaction was asshole-ish while the drivers was "inadverdant" or somehow OK, either.  Please feel free to go on though, because I could always use a laugh.   

Kevin C said:

We all live in a big city. Honking in traffic, though not a particularly articulate means of communication, is a means of communication nonetheless. I'm sorry you were put into a position by a driver where you felt threatened or at risk. Whether their act was intentional or inadvertent, by the time you decided to assault the driver, the threat had already passed. You were safe. You may also have missed a teaching moment. If you wanted to talk to the driver at the red light, and could have done it civily-great. If you think you have somehow taught her a constructive lesson by striking her window with enough force that you are surprised you didn't break the window or your hand, I think you're wrong. The most probable lesson she took from the experience is that bike riders are assholes. I'm sorry you can't see the difference, and no, I don't think you are a hero, or that you behaved heroically.

So you don't view a car running a cyclist off the road with their 2 ton vehicle and a horn blast to be assault then?  I'm still from Earth, where people tend to protect themselves against violence with like-minded actions.  Too bad that your head is so far up your self-righteous faux courteous ass you missed it.      

The main thing the driver will take away is it's not OK to run cyclists off the road and honk at them antagonistically, and that's what I wanted.      

Let me be the first to call you a liar here. In your first post you said they 'passed and honked,' your second post stated they 'sped past me on a very narrow stretch of pavement and was using the horn,' and now it is that they ran you off the road into a car; which one of these is it because those are all very, very different things.

Regardless of any of those what you did was the very definition of assault.  An assault you cannot even get away with saying was self defense because you were out of danger at the time and the driver was no longer doing anything to threaten you.  When you attempt to scare somebody or damage them or their property after the fact you are not defending yourself you are not only assaulting them but you are escalating the situation.  This has nothing to do with courteous behavior and more to do with not making a bad situation worse; what if they got angry and chased you down after?  What if they had been a big dude who got out and beat you senseless?  Actually scratch that last one because I seriously doubt you would have pulled a jackass stunt like that if it had not been somebody you knew you could bully...

The main thing that driver is going to take away is that cyclists are violent asshats.  Depending on how severe the whole thing actually was, and I place very little value on your word after all the changing of your story, there is a good chance the driver never even knew they had done something; did you know a lot of driver honk as they pass a cyclist to let them know they are there?  Yeah it's obnoxious but they think they are being nice.

One would think you would take the hint on this one when every response here is calling you an asshole.  You can justify this to yourself all you want but it will not change the fact that you are an asshole.

Zoetrope said:

So you don't view a car running a cyclist off the road with their 2 ton vehicle and a horn blast to be assault then?  I'm still from Earth, where people tend to protect themselves against violence with like-minded actions.  Too bad that your head is so far up your self-righteous faux courteous ass you missed it.      

The main thing the driver will take away is it's not OK to run cyclists off the road and honk at them antagonistically, and that's what I wanted.      

MMMM, delicious BACON sandwich!

Take it offline fella's, this is one of my favourite threads and you are killing it.

I love how the more I ignore you, the longer and angrier your posts get.  lol  

notoriousDUG said:

Let me be the first to call you a liar here. In your first post you said they 'passed and honked,' your second post stated they 'sped past me on a very narrow stretch of pavement and was using the horn,' and now it is that they ran you off the road into a car; which one of these is it because those are all very, very different things.

Regardless of any of those what you did was the very definition of assault.  An assault you cannot even get away with saying was self defense because you were out of danger at the time and the driver was no longer doing anything to threaten you.  When you attempt to scare somebody or damage them or their property after the fact you are not defending yourself you are not only assaulting them but you are escalating the situation.  This has nothing to do with courteous behavior and more to do with not making a bad situation worse; what if they got angry and chased you down after?  What if they had been a big dude who got out and beat you senseless?  Actually scratch that last one because I seriously doubt you would have pulled a jackass stunt like that if it had not been somebody you knew you could bully...

The main thing that driver is going to take away is that cyclists are violent asshats.  Depending on how severe the whole thing actually was, and I place very little value on your word after all the changing of your story, there is a good chance the driver never even knew they had done something; did you know a lot of driver honk as they pass a cyclist to let them know they are there?  Yeah it's obnoxious but they think they are being nice.

One would think you would take the hint on this one when every response here is calling you an asshole.  You can justify this to yourself all you want but it will not change the fact that you are an asshole.

Zoetrope said:

Doug is neither loud or angry yet.  I haven't even seen him smash on someone's window with his hand hard enough to almost break it and scream obcenities in someone's face.

THAT is loud and angry.  These are just words in an internet forum.  Mere electrons and shapes on a computer screen.

Zoetrope said:

I think you are mistaking me trying to explain to you that you are an asshole and make others on bikes look bad for anger.  I am not so much angry as disappointed; behavior like yours is never productive.

The fact that you responded shows you are not ignoring me, think about it....

I am still waiting for you to clarify what, exactly, the driver did to you so we can tell which one of your three different stories are the truth.

Zoetrope said:

notoriousDUG said:

Zoetrope said:

I'm not condoning any type of violence, but the argument that drivers are going to think that cyclists are all assholes because of the actions of one person doesn't make any sense. Of course there are ignorant people out there that would think that, but are we calling all drivers ignorant? That's quite ironic. Likewise I don't think all drivers are assholes because there are bad apples out there (i.e cage rage, etc) . It's the person, NOT the form of transport they choose that one should judge.

You seriously don't think that actions like that do not reflect horribly on cyclists and promote the image that cyclists are assholes?

I do not think that it is a stretch, in the slightest, to say that the view those two women have of cyclists is a bit more negative than it was before that interaction.

MagMileMarauder said:

I'm not condoning any type of violence, but the argument that drivers are going to think that cyclists are all assholes because of the actions of one person doesn't make any sense. Of course there are ignorant people out there that would think that, but are we calling all drivers ignorant? That's quite ironic. Likewise I don't think all drivers are assholes because there are bad apples out there (i.e cage rage, etc) . It's the person, NOT the form of transport they choose that one should judge.

You didn't read my whole argument notoriousDUG.  Like I said, the actions of a few DON'T reflect on a group at large. Would it be reasonable for me to say that the actions of a few drivers reflect horribly as the entire group of drivers? For example, a person texting on an SUV and cutting me off, honking and flipping me off (un unlikely scenario all at once, but for the sake of argument) Also, why is the opinion of an ignorant minority of drivers (i.e. "bikers are all assholes")  trump the opinion of an ignorant minority of bikers (the counterargument?  Both opinions  are just as ignorant. Do you see that?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service