The Chainlink

Without opening a contemptuous, argumentative can of worms, I'd like to ask for some advice on helmets.

My landlord is a weekend club rider who usually puts on at least 100 miles a weekend at high speeds while riding with his posse. He recently crashed and broke a rib (or two.) As far as I know, he's otherwise fine, but he did ask me if I know what "the strongest, best helmet on the market" might be. I mentioned that there's probably not any sort of magic force-field of protection you can buy, but that I'd ask you folks here and forward any comments to him.

May I please request that we refrain from having one of those discourses on helmet effectiveness?

Cost is not of concern, but I would suppose that given the speed at which my landlord tends to ride, ergonomics are paramount.

Thanks.

(P.S. I really like having a landlord who's a bicycling enthusiast.)

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmm. I got clipped by a car's rear view mirror and split open my left pinky and ring fingers, maybe I should get some of these.

Kevin Conway said:

My wife has a Bern and really likes it. It's a nice helmet with some neat features like the built-in removable visor.  She says it is much more comfortable than her old helmet.

A bit pricey though. It came with some nice extra stickers to stick on other things and advertise the BERNtm name if you are into that sort of thing.

I'm not personally into giving Big Helmettm free advertising on my stuff.
you could always put them on your saddle, so every time you ride you are putting it to "the man"

James Baum said:

My wife has a Bern and really likes it. It's a nice helmet with some neat features like the built-in removable visor.  She says it is much more comfortable than her old helmet.

A bit pricey though. It came with some nice extra stickers to stick on other things and advertise the BERNtm name if you are into that sort of thing.

I'm not personally into giving Big Helmettm free advertising on my stuff.

Consumer magazines test helmets sometimes. This seems to be especially popular in Germany where ADAC  (like AAA) and Stiftung Warentest (like Consumers Union) have regular tests. Here is a link to a site that compiles the results (in German but Google can help you out).

http://www.testberichte.de/fahrradbekleidung/2599/fahrradhelme.html

Note that 1.0 is an A+, 4 is a D. The results from different sources don't compare well - Stiftung Warentest is a hard grader. And note also that many of these aren't common here. But it gives some info and maybe you can look in Consumer Reports for similar tests?

Nutcase kid helmets weren't TUV rated for kids last I checked; the adult ones are.

Thanks for the link, Allen Wrench.
Vielen dank!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service