The Chainlink

Does anyone know any organizations that might be to provide a bus service to New Glarus Wisco for the Oktoberfest at the end of September?  Ive looked at a few charter services, but one is more expensive than the next ($2500 + lodging for the bus driver).  will be loading camping gear and a few bikes.

any ole skool bus will do.

Views: 584

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I want a bus like the one in the photo or I'm not going.
too bad we do not know any RAGBRAI teams (or do we ???) locally - those types of busses were
everywhere during RAGBRAI.

I agree with Shay - iggi has set the standard for our ride !

Dan
I think there's a coach that goes from O'hare to Madison. I believe it is Coach USA, and I've read (on the chainlink possibly) that they allow bikes. After that, i'ts only 29 miles of bike path To New Glarus.
anyone want to reach out on the RAGBRAI forums for me...pretty pretty please? i dont have access on there anymore, i gave mine away to my repalcement rider.

someone mentioned that off season Burning Man busses might be a possibility...if anyone knows any of those folks. i actually think that bus in the picture is from Burning Man
This will likely be one of my dumbest suggestions yet. Caveat aside, perhaps you could give this a shot? It's also the closet thing to the photo you posted that I could think of.
Most school type buses do not require a CDL.

FYI CDL is required over 26,000 GVWR or for air brakes.

Cameron Puetz said:
Does anyone know if driving a bus like that requires a CDL? If it does do we have any potential drivers?
Michael...BRILLIANT!!!!!

Reggies is DOWN for this! They will do this for $650. Split that 20 ways and its only 32.50 each. I have a feeling we can get more than 20 ppl.

Who is ready for this!!!
i just spoke/left a vm for the wonderful people of new glarus brewery. in addition to this plan, im trying to arrange that we actually camp on the brewery grounds instead of the state park.
PS...Reggies Bus

Hi Iggi/Eric (former roommate, Annette, here :))
I've taken the Van Galder bus from Janesville back to Chicago and it was a very pleasant experience (bike loaded in, fully geared, into bottom bus storage, bus was clean, driver was pleasant, and the bus even got into Chi an hour early!) http://www.coachusa.com/vangalder/

I think you can take to/from Madison too. Each would put you about 20 - 40 (est) miles out from New Glarus and the ride in is very hilly (driftless area) but well worth it when you roll into the amazing little Swiss-like town of New Glarus! Not sure about camping on the brewery grounds (!) but the State Park is rather close to the brewery - I do recall stumbling back after some extensive sampling...

Anyways, enjoy your trip out there! I'm actually going up there the weekend of Sept 11 - 12!
Awesome. I guess me not so dumb after all sometimes.

By the way, riding that bus is an absolute blast.
Hi Annette. Yah, the State Park is right there...i just wanna be sure we can be free from state supervision...i know how rowdy we can be. if the brewery says no, i may try a nearby farm. and ill look into group sites in new glarus/blue mound

i tried the Van Galder lines as a charter...they quoted me $2800. And taking the bus to Madison is fine, if its a small group, but i think theres gonna be quite a few of us, the bikes, and camp gear/trailers, etc. Being dropped off right in town would be ideal for the situation.

Annette said:
Hi Iggi/Eric (former roommate, Annette, here :))
I've taken the Van Galder bus from Janesville back to Chicago and it was a very pleasant experience (bike loaded in, fully geared, into bottom bus storage, bus was clean, driver was pleasant, and the bus even got into Chi an hour early!) http://www.coachusa.com/vangalder/

I think you can take to/from Madison too. Each would put you about to 20 - 40 (est) miles out from New Glarus and the ride in is very hilly (driftless area) but well worth it when you roll into the amazing little Swiss-like town of New Glarus! Not sure about camping on the brewery grounds (!) but the State Park is rather close to the brewery - I do recall stumbling back after some extensive sampling...

Anyways, enjoy your trip out there! I'm actually going up there the weekend of Spet 11 - 12!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service