The Chainlink

The Craig's List Ad section revisited...classic...clever.....outlandish....Elgin guy....tiring and so forth.

This one caught my eye, and yes Howard, I think this merits re-discussing.

First the link:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1065285621.html

And since it will probably be flagged soon, here is the text:

RE: Re: Re: Re:::::: (Thunderdome)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-znkft-1065285621@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-03-07, 10:48PM CST

There is ONLY ONE way to SETTLE THIS!

All "RE" posts can now sign up for CRAIGSLIST DEATH MATCH. Each week I will be hosting a fight to the death, no holds barred, grudge match--- pitching bitching opponents against each other to settle their disputes the good old fashioned way-in public-in person.

Bring your spell check, bring your sense of hipster entitlement, bring your tight jeans and disapproving stare, bring your seat posts as weapons! Most of all, BRING IT ON!!!

No longer do you have to fight for clever ironic virtual dominance! If you don't like his price-BASH HIM ONE! If you think he's selling imperfect wheelsets-STEAMROLL HIM! It's down and dirty weasel vs. wussy!

Craigslisters submit your favourite annoying Re-posting whiners by Thursday of each week, and on Friday night we can ride our bikes to a selected location to cheer on your selected cheerless rivals.

Two will enter, one will leave.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1065285621

Views: 5754

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

too bad he already sold the transparent one.

1972 Schwinn Super Sport opaque green - $250 (Itasca)

Date: 2011-01-30, 7:19PM CST
Reply to: sale-h3jmc-2188976249@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Vintage Schwinn road bike. 1972 Super Sport model - opaque green. New rear derailleur, new matching bar tape, new cables, and new reflective front tire. Recently serviced at local bike shop. More pictures upon request. Local pick-up only. Frame has typical scratches but chrome is great. Weinmann rims and brakes. Nice fillet brazed frame. Nice rider as is, or potential fixed gear. Really cool eye catching color! Hand made in Chicago.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Actually, i believe that's what that colour was really called by Schwinn.

We always called it Slime green or Gangrene

John L. Jensen said:

Thanks for the educatination.

mike w. said:

Actually, i believe that's what that colour was really called by Schwinn.

We always called it Slime green or Gangrene

John L. Jensen said:

Isn't the spelling of the brand name imprinted on the bicycle somewhere? :) 

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/2243260923.html

Schwynn 10 Speed La Tour - $100 (So Loop)

Date: 2011-03-02, 1:29PM CST
Reply to: sale-uedct-2243260923@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

10 Speed in excellent condition 
Schwynn approx. 20 yrs 
Don't be concerned about seat-it can be changed. 
Cell 312 296-4848 

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
image 2243260923-0

I just had someone tell me in another forum that spelling and grammar are NOT important online because it is what is inside someone and how they treat other people that is what is important.  And besides the way someone talks does not at all reflect on their intelligence.  Language is constantly evolving and changing because if you look back a hundred years they spelled things differently and used old words that we no longer use.  So when language evolves like this it is NOT wrong and anyone who judges others on their spelling and grammar is wrong!  This is not a test...

You are just being mean by laughing at this person's "alternative" spelling of the brand name!

Although I respect the views and opinions of whoever told you that nonsense, I will continue to harshly judge others who post ads who cannot at least copy the correct spelling from the item they are selling. I simply do not adapt well to such change and evolution of language and another's personal creativity.

**Schwynn Schwyng! It really is a nyce byke! ** (I took creative liberty in advertising)

By the way, James, that is hilarious.  I may have to avoid forums altogether if that really is the case. 

James Baum said:

I just had someone tell me in another forum that spelling and grammar are NOT important online because it is what is inside someone and how they treat other people that is what is important.  And besides the way someone talks does not at all reflect on their intelligence.  Language is constantly evolving and changing because if you look back a hundred years they spelled things differently and used old words that we no longer use.  So when language evolves like this it is NOT wrong and anyone who judges others on their spelling and grammar is wrong!  This is not a test...

You are just being mean by laughing at this person's "alternative" spelling of the brand name!

Once a teacher, always a teacher...

It is scary how we are rapidly slipping into a post-literate society. 

I now know why I would never have cut it teaching in the public schools.  I'd have snapped like a twig!  At least in the construction trades nobody is expected to write much so I never had to flip out on an apprentice who was illiterate.  

Peepz steel 20-yoyo swchyyynz?  For shiz?

LOL  -you could have something there.  

I've read that people post ads for similar bikes/brands/types but not the exact stolen bike they are actually selling.  This is why when you call a lot of those C-list ads they say that the bike listed is "sold" but they have this other bike for sale which is almost the same thing but an brand-Y for the same price. This makes it imposable for the guy with the stolen brand/model-X to search his own bikel since the thief never advertises it as an brand/model-X.  

If you ever call an ad to buy a bike and they do this switch tactic on you there is a good chance the guy is selling stolen bikes.   Also he can sell a number of stolen bikes off of one ad as well and not attract as much attention.  He can always get the fake picture off of an old listing in some other town and just copy the stats and it looks legit.

Cameron Puetz said:

I read somewhere that misspelled brand names are often stolen bikes and the misspellings and to throw of the owner's searches.

James Baum said:

wow.

is this webbed cite ever so edukational !

I would've thought thieves mispelled on purpose 'cuz they never finished skool (dey got thrown out

for stealing)...or to thwart of damn spammers !

If all the people who couldn't spell or write became thieves there wouldn't be a bike (or even car) left on the streets...
Please send me a link to that forum, I need somewhere to spread hate.

James Baum said:

I'm actually more concerned about that saddle.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service