The Chainlink

Some 'o y'all wanted a forum to have yer bikecycle questions answered direct from the source, well here I am in the cyber flesh ready, willing and able to answer all of yer dumb questions in a mostly judgement free manner.

Ask away you unwashed chumps.

Views: 1381

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is actually a very good answer to this but I do not have the time to type it all up right now, I'z gots bikecycles to fix but I will address this one because it is a  valid question.

Blatherskate said:

Why are certain bike shop employees such pricks?

I said mostly.

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

. . . in a mostly judgement free manner.

Way to take all the fun out of this thread right away.

Everything I know about bikes I learned from taking my bike apart and putting it back together. YouTube and the Park website (or the awesome Blue Book) are great. The biggest problem with my method of learning (and doing my own repair/maintenance) was the incredible cost of Park tools. I justified it knowing I won't have to rely on anyone to maintain my bike but all that money could have gone to better causes.

Oh man Tom - the idea of that terrifies me! I wish I'd kept my older bike if I was going to pull that one - I don't want to take apart my new beautiful one!!!!! But its awesome that you don't have to pay to maintain your bike. 

Ya knows derz other companies what for make bike tools, right?

Some of dems even better den de park ones...

Tom Dworzanski said:

Everything I know about bikes I learned from taking my bike apart and putting it back together. YouTube and the Park website (or the awesome Blue Book) are great. The biggest problem with my method of learning (and doing my own repair/maintenance) was the incredible cost of Park tools. I justified it knowing I won't have to rely on anyone to maintain my bike but all that money could have gone to better causes.

Which other brands do you recommend? Are they available at many LBS?

Hey! Bike Shop Guy said:

Oooh! 

Chain oiling. 

I have a feeling that this is something I should already be doing. How is this done? What product should I use if I love my bike but am not wealthy? How often to a) keep my bike working but b) not spend every moment of free time on this? 

There was this bike shop guy who was holding free classes last winter.  I was the only one who showed up for a couple, and another woman and I were at another.  That bike shop guy was really helpful.  I learned a lot, and I even remember some of it. 

So what tools?

Sign up for a build a bike class at West Town Bikes. Step-by-step they walk you through all the parts on the bike and teach you how to maintain them. 8 weeks. Well worth your while

Then take advantage of their open shop. They have all the common tools available for your use

Michelle said:

Oh man Tom - the idea of that terrifies me! I wish I'd kept my older bike if I was going to pull that one - I don't want to take apart my new beautiful one!!!!! But its awesome that you don't have to pay to maintain your bike. 

Was just going to suggest this, or WTB's awesome DIY tune-up class, which looks like they're not offering anymore - boo -  I loved it. Michelle, if you fear commitment, they also offer a one-night basics class - it's worth every minute and every penny!

http://westtownbikes.org/node/185149

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Sign up for a build a bike class at West Town Bikes. Step-by-step they walk you through all the parts on the bike and teach you how to maintain them. 8 weeks. Well worth your while

Then take advantage of their open shop. They have all the common tools available for your use

Michelle said:

Pedros, Ice Tools and Var are all good.  for some stuff Hozan is nice as well.

any LBS should be able to get any bike yer heart desires.

OLB 0.1 said:

Which other brands do you recommend? Are they available at many LBS?

Hey! Bike Shop Guy said:

To the OP, thank you for helping us dumb bike customers out. Sadly, it will soon be the season that the bike business declines & your hours will be cut.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service