The Chainlink

Last weekend I went to SwapORama to look for my Novara Strada (no luck) and I saw a couple of bikes that may belong to members here.  The list follows:

A red Schwinn Madison

A grey Novara Buzz (I believe it was a single speed)

A DBR (diamondback racing) bike with black brake/shift levers (probably Shimano 2300)

A red specialized road bike with Sora

An old Fuji (gold)

An old Trek (grey)

I'm not sure if this is helpful to anyone or if there's a better way to post this (I could not find these bikes on the Chicago.stolenbike.org registry).  If anyone is interested in going again tomorrow I may be up for it though it is exhausting...

Views: 227

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Samir,

It's nice that you're thinking about others while looking for your own bike.

It's been an ongoing frustration that there are so many clearly stolen bikes kicking around out there, yet apparently so many victims don't bother to report their bikes stolen.

In regard to Swap=O=Rama-- much better to have others with you when you go, for various reasons, but be aware you may be shooting yourself in the foot by posting plans on a public forum-- even if the thieves may not be internet savvy, they have "friends" who are. Better to solicit for help and then coordinate specific trips out of public view.

Also, something that may not seem obvious-- spreading the word about Swap O Rama may seem like a good thing, but consider that not everyone who reads the stolen bike registry or this forum has only good in their heart-- you may be giving free advertising to this filthy operation, and helping the thieves and the "dirty" vendors with increased sales.

As to your bike-- considering it's almost a month since the theft, I think it unlikely to turn up at SoR at this point-- if it ended up there at all, it was probably fenced there the same week, and is off in some happy person's garage on the southwest side. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Was their any surveillance video of your theft, by chance?

There was no video of the theft, but I am certain power tools were used.  Thanks for the advice, it's kind of a relief to hear that I can stop looking at SOR...

h' said:

Hi Samir,

It's nice that you're thinking about others while looking for your own bike.

It's been an ongoing frustration that there are so many clearly stolen bikes kicking around out there, yet apparently so many victims don't bother to report their bikes stolen.

In regard to Swap=O=Rama-- much better to have others with you when you go, for various reasons, but be aware you may be shooting yourself in the foot by posting plans on a public forum-- even if the thieves may not be internet savvy, they have "friends" who are. Better to solicit for help and then coordinate specific trips out of public view.

Also, something that may not seem obvious-- spreading the word about Swap O Rama may seem like a good thing, but consider that not everyone who reads the stolen bike registry or this forum has only good in their heart-- you may be giving free advertising to this filthy operation, and helping the thieves and the "dirty" vendors with increased sales.

As to your bike-- considering it's almost a month since the theft, I think it unlikely to turn up at SoR at this point-- if it ended up there at all, it was probably fenced there the same week, and is off in some happy person's garage on the southwest side. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Was their any surveillance video of your theft, by chance?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service