The Chainlink

I am planning on getting a touring bike or a bike that can hold racks. I have always wanted a Long Haul Trucker, but would prefer to not have the same bike as half the city. Suggestions? I ride a 54 if anyone has one they are looking to get rid of

Views: 8510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does half the city have Long Haul Truckers?

I got one from Uptown Bikes last year and plussed it up with fenders, racks and a lighting system with a hub generator. I'm a big fan and got it b/c of the price point and how comfortable it is.

Not to bombard on your discussion and not really help. 

I would like to point out that when I asked the same question two years ago. LHT was the one bike you spoke very highly about, soo much that I actually bought mine b/c of how awesome you thought they were ;)

just sayin

to help though, Ryan and John love their masi's and even though my masi is not the touring bike I do love my frame and the way it feels between my legs

I myself have a Jamis Aurora which has proved itself quite capable.  With Jamis, sizing runs small.  I myself have a 55 cm. while most other bikes range between 57-59 cm.  For a bike spec'd with Reynolds 520 tubes, its price was quite reasonable. There should be plenty of Jamis dealers in Chicago.

Exactly Shar! Like I said, I have always wanted one, and am kind of sad I have decided not to get one! When I told you to buy it was before I started to notice that so many other people have them.  (also you love your bike don't you! then I did a good job)

shar said:

Not to bombard on your discussion and not really help. 

I would like to point out that when I asked the same question two years ago. LHT was the one bike you spoke very highly about, soo much that I actually bought mine b/c of how awesome you thought they were ;)

just sayin

to help though, Ryan and John love their masi's and even though my masi is not the touring bike I do love my frame and the way it feels between my legs

I have this new Rocky Mountain, which I started to build for someone else, but haven't heard from lately.  Aluminum frame and fork with rack mounts at both ends and long stays for heal clearance.  I could build it to suit, you could try it with no obligation to buy.  Paint isn't quite as drab as it appears in the pic, has some metallic so will be a bit brighter in the sun.  Sorry about the clutter, the basement's a mess.

I've heard good things about the Trek 520 as well. I'm planning on getting a touring bike at the end of this year and the Soma Saga and Double Cross are both on my short list.  

Long Haul Trucker is by far a best value; you cannot beat the price of it as it comes built up.

If you build your own from parts the Soma Saga is a great deal

If you want a more multi-use bike the Cross Check is where to be for a complete bike and the Handsome Devil is another fine cross/tour bike option.

I've heard from more than one person that has attested to the fact that the LHT is a bit on the firm-ride side unless it is loaded up for touring like it was designed to be loaded.

It's a truck, and it rides like a truck when it is unladen.

There are plenty of choices in nicer vintage lugged frames out there at a fraction of the cost of a new LHT -even lugged 531 Reynolds butted frames.  

+1 on the Cross Check which is a nice bike -but for my money if I want such a bike I'd rather just find an older well-made Trek or similar 29-er hybrid frame like the 90's Multi-track and build it up as a drop-bar commuter/cross and save a whole ton of cash.  

Another option for a heavier-duty (but still not a full-on truck) would be the lugged VO Rando.  They are selling them on closeout now for $500 which is a really good deal on "new" mediumlong-haul frames. 

Just follow your heart and join us.

LHT Brigade.

Having owned a LHT for nearly 5 years now, I have done semi-loaded tours on it, STP, regular long rides, and for the last year or so it has been my main commuter. The ride is smooth and fast, loaded or unloaded, maybe only surpassed by my single speed when it is unloaded.

And as DUG said, there is probably no better value for money for a complete bike in that price range.

Also, Surly is the only brand I am aware of that puts all their decals on top of the clear coat, so that it comes off relatively easy, if you worried about looking like a metoobie. They even have instructions on their website on how to do that.

Of course, if you are mainly concerned about buying something that no one else has, you should look at this.

I can attest to the awesome ride of the VO randonneur bike. My partner has one that we were able to score cheaply complete from craigslist and it is the best of both worlds as far as light weight, lightening fast and responsive road bike and full on long distance tourer. The only issue is that it really carries weight better up front so if you've already invested a chunk of change in rear panniers you might want to go with a frame with a more mid-trail geometry. I must add though, Rico commutes on this bike most of the time with the rear rack super loaded and never bitches about its handling.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service