The Chainlink

The premise is this:
You ride out on an afternoon/early evening, find a camping spot overnight, camp, and wake-up and ride home the next morning.

This supposedly works well for those that would like to camp but their time is limited due to work and/or family schedules.

I don't know of any good camping spots within 20-30 miles of Chicago, but I know they are there. Who's interested in this sort of thing?

Best to start thinking about it now, so when summer comes it can actually happen.

Views: 2387

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have never bike camped, I'm so there!
I came across this link a while back: http://jump.suntimes.com/list.cfm?tag=camping
It has some good information and maybe jump start a plan to get some of us out there as a group for a weekend tour come early spring. I can't wait till touring starts again! I know TerryG is with me on that.
Bookmarked! That's a good one, thanks Salvo! I'm so ready to go on a ride. Bit, meet Chomp. Chomp, Bit.

OK..... I just looked at the REI site, and they do in fact rent essential camping gear. Seeing as how I'm not yet fully equipped, it's something I might consider if it hurries me up on out.
Oh, why rent when you can own! If you are an REI member,$20 lifetime, you can go to their garage sales. I scored a sleep pad for $5 with a small hole in it, which I patched and it works fine, a $300 sleeping bag for $20 that shows some use but works fine, and a nice backpacking tent for $20 without poles, but those aren't too hard to come by. They also will have clogged stoves that need a good cleaning for cheap, panniers, etc. Also, I'm sure some folks here, me included, have some extra stuff around to lend.
Right, I'd much rather have my own. I do in fact have the REI membership, and I think I just missed a garage sale. bummer!
hey the farther to the site the better you sleep lol. youd be surprised how little gear you need for only one night.
Thanks for bringing this up, and thanks to all for the good links.

The Dunes are a 'choose-your-own-length' ride: you can take the South Shore Line (runs on the Metra tracks, but ain't the Metra) all the way there or any subset of the distance.

Oh, and amen to: "youd be surprised how little gear you need for only one night." A sleeping bag and an old vinyl shower curtain between you and the ground, a good quality thermos-full of coffee, and you've got a cozy night and warm wakeup in the morning.
This sounds like a fun idea.
Specially if it's a bunch of people riding.
I've always thought the South Shore line unequivocally denied bikes. grrr. I guess folding bikes are allowed, in a bag or something.

We'll be in the 40s this weekend.....

herdingbats said:
Thanks for bringing this up, and thanks to all for the good links.

The Dunes are a 'choose-your-own-length' ride: you can take the South Shore Line (runs on the Metra tracks, but ain't the Metra) all the way there or any subset of the distance.

Oh, and amen to: "youd be surprised how little gear you need for only one night." A sleeping bag and an old vinyl shower curtain between you and the ground, a good quality thermos-full of coffee, and you've got a cozy night and warm wakeup in the morning.
i'm totally game!
I plan on riding out to Sycamore Speedway to watch the spectator races on a Friday or Saturday night... and then just crashing out in the field behind the Winner's Circle. pretty sure it's just about 50 miles straight west on North Ave.
So, I am curious: How cold is warm enough to camp? I haven't been out in a tent much below 40. It wasn't too bad with a 30 degree bag and tent, but not to sound like a wimp or First of May, but any tips on sub 20 degree camping?
Jamie said:
I plan on riding out to Sycamore Speedway to watch the spectator races on a Friday or Saturday night... and then just crashing out in the field behind the Winner's Circle. pretty sure it's just about 50 miles straight west on North Ave.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service