The Chainlink

I saw one of the stop sign stings for bikers this morning on Wells Street.  It was pretty obvious as to what it was, but people were still blowing through the stop sign.

Anyone here get caught?  Any thoughts on this?

One thing that I thought was funny was this girl who passed me while I was stopping, and then was flagged over and still tried to go.  The police stepped in front of her...it looked like she was going to make a break for it, but she ended up stopping.

Views: 451

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"If the city's goal was to cut down on the number of riders on the street, this would be the perfect way to do it (perhaps combined with a helmet law that was primarily enforced)."

I'd love to see a bike helmet law enforced while motorcycles still don't have to where them.
Perhaps car drivers/passengers should wear them as well as the same logic that says that they SHOULD be used on a bike can be used to argue significant benefits in automobiles.

Davo said:
"If the city's goal was to cut down on the number of riders on the street, this would be the perfect way to do it (perhaps combined with a helmet law that was primarily enforced)."

I'd love to see a bike helmet law enforced while motorcycles still don't have to where them.
Parking ticket revenue us down because there are fewer police on the streets to write tickets. They are too busy not being shot and killed to worry about parking enforcement. I really doubt that they will enforce bike violations. They don't do anything about the 30% of drivers on cell phones, the 50% of drivers that roll through stop signs, the 90% of drivers that speed, etc. Traffic laws exist only in theory around here.

Rick norris said:
It seems that this discussion has gone throught many changes and subjects and has been pretty interesting to watch... and now my opinion one issue that has been overlooked:

The stop sign sting and the up comming safety awarness program where they will be handing out "free" headlights are leading up to one thing, and that is soon bicycles will be "taxed" in the form of tickets issued for violations. There has been a leak of sorts in the news about parking ticket quotas not bringing in enough revenue. So probably some city mayor while sitting in his limo saw a couple of bicycles eat a stop sign and realized that while taxing bikes in the form of city stickers would prove to be wildly unpopular, pushing the enforcment of the current laws that allow cops to ticket bikes would probably be pretty popular with drivers, especially drivers that have been forced to slam on their brakes after already stoping once, when a bicyclist blew a stop sign.

We can discuss diss, dat, an' every uder ting...but it will all come down to $$$$

I wish I knew how much revenue ticketing bicycles will bring in this year, and how much will be brought in next year. I would bet a shinny new bike bell there will be a big jump....

Just could be pairaniod and cynical, but in the city I don't ever see the laws changing a stop sign being treated as a yield.
I know a guy who insists on wearing his bike helmet while riding in a car . . .

James Baum said:
Perhaps car drivers/passengers should wear them as well as the same logic that says that they SHOULD be used on a bike can be used to argue significant benefits in automobiles.

Davo said:

Generally agree- violent crimes have become almost the sole focus of CPD- they don't even come out for a home break-in anymore-- you're supposed to call 311 and wait for the report to be mailed to you, that's it.
Your numbers, however; I often consciously survey cell phone use among drivers to find that =every= driver in a string of 8 or 10 cars is talking on their cell phone, and have noticed that texting while driving is sharply on the rise . . . on a trip to Noble Square Saturday afternoon I had to negotiate with a car at an intersection twice, and both times they were clearly caught up in their texting while driving.

Joel said:
Parking ticket revenue us down because there are fewer police on the streets to write tickets. They are too busy not being shot and killed to worry about parking enforcement. I really doubt that they will enforce bike violations. They don't do anything about the 30% of drivers on cell phones, the 50% of drivers that roll through stop signs, the 90% of drivers that speed, etc. Traffic laws exist only in theory around here.

Rick norris said:
It seems that this discussion has gone throught many changes and subjects and has been pretty interesting to watch... and now my opinion one issue that has been overlooked:

The stop sign sting and the up comming safety awarness program where they will be handing out "free" headlights are leading up to one thing, and that is soon bicycles will be "taxed" in the form of tickets issued for violations. There has been a leak of sorts in the news about parking ticket quotas not bringing in enough revenue. So probably some city mayor while sitting in his limo saw a couple of bicycles eat a stop sign and realized that while taxing bikes in the form of city stickers would prove to be wildly unpopular, pushing the enforcment of the current laws that allow cops to ticket bikes would probably be pretty popular with drivers, especially drivers that have been forced to slam on their brakes after already stoping once, when a bicyclist blew a stop sign.

We can discuss diss, dat, an' every uder ting...but it will all come down to $$$$

I wish I knew how much revenue ticketing bicycles will bring in this year, and how much will be brought in next year. I would bet a shinny new bike bell there will be a big jump....

Just could be pairaniod and cynical, but in the city I don't ever see the laws changing a stop sign being treated as a yield.
I agree that CPD has better things to do, but while you and I can agree on this, do our great leaders?

"Parking ticket revenue us down because there are fewer police on the streets to write tickets. They are too busy not being shot and killed to worry about parking enforcement. I really doubt that they will enforce bike violations. They don't do anything about the 30% of drivers on cell phones, the 50% of drivers that roll through stop signs, the 90% of drivers that speed, etc. Traffic laws exist only in theory around here."

So if the great leader starts passing out "the word" from the back of his limo, can (will?) CPD ignore such demands. At some point cops will have to write these tickets just to shut up their boss, so their boss can go and say "see we are enforcing the laws" If CPD could truly ignor these demands would we have the stop sign sting?

As far as helmets go, I thought there is a law, for kids under 12 to have a helmet on their head, and also on people under 18 (or 21?) on a motorcycle
I think we can all agree that John Lennon was at best the fifth most impressive Beatle, and that anyone who cites the lyrics to "Imagine" as part of an argument can be deemed to have lost.

I think we can also all agree that at least one poster in this thread should do a bit of reading on Pigovian taxation.
I'm sure it would help him in a crash. As long as it doesn't cause mobility issues that would make it hard to see or turn his head and look out the sides of the car (or block his vision in any way) I'm sure it would help in a crash. Head injuries are still a large problem in automobile crashes even with seat belts, and multiple airbags from the front and the sides.

If the guy wants to wear his helmet in the car what is he hurting?

Oh yeah -you feel cars are evil and should be banned like the pro-lifers believe abortion is evil and should be banned. To me you are both the same kind of crazy...

H3N3 said:
I know a guy who insists on wearing his bike helmet while riding in a car . . .

James Baum said:

Davo said:

They were checking this afternoon on Lincoln @ Southport. Right in front of me a guy rides through red light without stopping and did get pulled over.

If you are so oblivious that you don't even notice the cop standing in the street, you make a pretty convincing case why the Idaho stop is a bad idea.
I was there yesterday during the Southport "sting"...Since I actually stop at most, if not all, stop lights,the bike advocates didn't have much to say to me, but they were really friendly and offered me a bunch of literature and maps and such. I don't see it as much of a "sting", more of a public education campaign.
And a reason to have these random checks.

Duppie said:
They were checking this afternoon on Lincoln @ Southport. Right in front of me a guy rides through red light without stopping and did get pulled over.
If you are so oblivious that you don't even notice the cop standing in the street, you make a pretty convincing case why the Idaho stop is a bad idea.
i don't agree with "john lennon was at best the 5th most impressive beatle." so not all of us can agree to that statment. also, it wasn't the lyrics to imagine that i saw quoted, but i'll look again farther back in the thread. it's hard to know what one is referring to without the text being referenced.

Dr. Doom said:
I think we can all agree that John Lennon was at best the fifth most impressive Beatle, and that anyone who cites the lyrics to "Imagine" as part of an argument can be deemed to have lost.

I think we can also all agree that at least one poster in this thread should do a bit of reading on Pigovian taxation.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service