The Chainlink

I saw one of the stop sign stings for bikers this morning on Wells Street.  It was pretty obvious as to what it was, but people were still blowing through the stop sign.

Anyone here get caught?  Any thoughts on this?

One thing that I thought was funny was this girl who passed me while I was stopping, and then was flagged over and still tried to go.  The police stepped in front of her...it looked like she was going to make a break for it, but she ended up stopping.

Views: 451

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What exactly did you tell the police when you called 911?

Amy Abramson said:
Interesting. Had the cops been on Wells at around 4:45pm they would have caught a guy walking (very quickly, westward) with a bike frame (no wheels, etc.) and rolling another bike by his side. I called 911. Did they follow up on that? Who knows...

I really question the priorities here.
Please tell me how this is anti bike and not just apathy or uneven enforcement?

In my opinion I have seen more people in danger from running lights and stop signs then I have because a car was less than 3 feet from the.

Jason W said:
Ridiculous! Why don't they pull over the 10+ cars that pass me within 3 feet every time I ride and lecture them? This is just more evidence that the CPD is anti bike.
This is just a flat out ignorant view because no matter how well you justify your opinion of what should be it does not change what the law actually is.

It's your life but how does your choice affect the pedestrian you run over and injure or the motorist you ride in front of and traumatize?

There are more cars then there are bikes and if we want to use the roads we need to acknowledge the rules of the road and accept that we can follow them or pay the price; usually with a ticket but occasionally our physical well being or even life.

If cars suck so bad I challenge you to live a 100% car free life, and by car free I mean quit buying anything or using ant service that requires a motor vehicle to get to you; let me know how starving to death works out for you.

Eddie said:
...Not the same speed, weight, and killing power, hence not the same rules. Cars suck, and if there weren't so many, we wouldn't need all these stop signs. F'k the stop signs, and the cops who try to enforce them!! It's my life, and my time, and I choose when to stop, and when not to.

Regards,

A guy who has already been run over by a stupid driver.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
While this should be enforced for all road users, keep in mind that blowing a stop sign carries graver danger for a cyclist than a motorist.

Remember - Same Road, Same Rights, Same Rules.
I'll play to.

Here is the thing, and I drive and ride a lot all over the city and suburbs, it is almost NEVER that I see a car completely blow a traffic control like I do a cyclist. It has been MONTHS since I have seen a car completely blow a stop where they did not slow down or do more then tap a brake. I last saw it from a cyclist this morning and before that it as 2 days ago and the day before that as well. Of the three one of them put themselves in serious peril and one of the others made a car have to hit the brakes unexpectedly.

Most of the time you see cars miss a stop they do a rolling stop like many cyclists endorse for themselves which I think is no where near as unsafe or dangerous as a cyclist outright blowing a stop.

I think it is unfair and poor sense to ticket cyclists for rolling stops because they make sense on a bike but they are out enforcing for bikes because the most dangerous situations are mostly the fault of cyclists.

H3N3 said:
Sure Ryan, I'll play.
Hold on, let me review the ground rules . . .

OK, I'm back . . .

*Ahem*

A car blowing a stop sign poses graver danger for cyclists, other motorists, and pedestrians than a bike.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
While this should be enforced for all road users, keep in mind that blowing a stop sign carries graver danger for a cyclist than a motorist.

I have to agree. The day that I receive the same benefits as the car inching its way into my lane, then I will abide by the same rules. I don't think it's unfair to say that there is a hierarchy here and most people don't thing we are at the top.
Also, there is a difference between cars and bikes stopping at stop signs and that difference is the physical exertion involved. If I made a complete stop, rather than a slowdown, at every stop sign I encountered my trip time would be doubled and I would exhaust myself (in a not so good way). These are two factors that would make people much less likely to bike regularly. And I would think any city that prides itself on being bike friendly wouldn't hear of this.

Dan Korn said:
Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
How do you figure? A car can kill someone much easier than a bicycle can. To me, this is much more about stopping people from hurting others than about stopping them from hurting themselves. And there's absolutely no question that cars pose a greater danger than bicycles.
Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Not exactly. For instance, cars are not allowed to park in bike lanes. I wonder if they're cracking down on that on Wells Street.
Geez Doug, learn to form an opinion!

notoriousDUG said:
This is just a flat out ignorant view because no matter how well you justify your opinion of what should be it does not change what the law actually is.

It's your life but how does your choice affect the pedestrian you run over and injure or the motorist you ride in front of and traumatize?

There are more cars then there are bikes and if we want to use the roads we need to acknowledge the rules of the road and accept that we can follow them or pay the price; usually with a ticket but occasionally our physical well being or even life.

If cars suck so bad I challenge you to live a 100% car free life, and by car free I mean quit buying anything or using ant service that requires a motor vehicle to get to you; let me know how starving to death works out for you.

Eddie said:
...Not the same speed, weight, and killing power, hence not the same rules. Cars suck, and if there weren't so many, we wouldn't need all these stop signs. F'k the stop signs, and the cops who try to enforce them!! It's my life, and my time, and I choose when to stop, and when not to.

Regards,

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

*groan* Not looking to pick a fight here.

As you said, "It was pretty obvious as to what it was, but people were still blowing through the stop sign."

Blowing through a stop sign implies that the one doing it isn't looking anywhere but straight ahead. Now, if it was "It was pretty obvious as to what it was, but people were still rolling through the stop sign.", it would be a different story.

jamimaria said:
Just talked to my bike commuting coworker and she got pulled over. Essentially the sting just lectures cyclists and gives them a brochure on following the rules of the road.

While I came to a full and complete stop for this stop sign, I didn't for the majority of my commute...or any commute. Do you come to full and complete stop, Ryan? I won't complain if I'm busted for it, but proceeding with caution through stop signs makes sense...I can see obstacles clearly and can assess the risks.
As it stands now, yes, Same Road, Same Rights, Same Rules. If you have a problem with it, try to get it changed. Just because you don't like a rule doesn't mean you don't have to follow it. I'm sure all cyclists would be overjoyed if motorists decided to run red lights with abandon, etc. I have a feeling the number of ghost bikes would skyrocket.

Eddie said:
Regards,

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

Dan Korn said:
Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
How do you figure?

A minor fender bender for a motorist can result in death for a bicyclist.
Even though technically I am not following the law, I prefer to roll through stop signs AFTER yielding the right of way. This means to cars who have come to a stop and are waiting for their turn or any pedestrian who is in the crosswalk. It is a ton of extra work to put a foot down and start from scratch each stop sign, but it beats getting hit by a car or hitting a pedestrian.
Let's say there were less cars and more bikes. Wouldn't the increase in bike riders still make stop signs necessary?

Eddie said:
Did you even read my message? I think you misunderstood. I choose to break the law when my safety is not compromised. And again, (if you didn't hear it the first time), if there weren't so many cars, we wouldn't have so many stop signs. And personnally, I think that if you drive a car, you should be penalized with more stop signs. If not for the mere fact that you are more dangerous, and you polute.
Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
As it stands now, yes, Same Road, Same Rights, Same Rules. If you have a problem with it, try to get it changed. Just because you don't like a rule doesn't mean you don't have to follow it. I'm sure all cyclists would be overjoyed if motorists decided to run red lights with abandon, etc. I have a feeling the number of ghost bikes would skyrocket.

Eddie said:
Regards,

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

I get upset when people get that ignorant and it shows.

Here is the thing:

While I do not agree with the current laws regarding cyclists and traffic controls or the selective enforcement of these laws the fact remains that it is still the law and it can be enforced. If you feel the law is wrong, useless or unjust you have three choices; ignore it and face the consequences like an adult, work to change the law or shut the hell up. Running around railing on the internet about how cars suck, the law sucks and the police suck is not going to do anything to solve the problem, in fact that kind of attitude makes things worse.

I run stops using what I consider to be good judgment but if I get pinched you aren't going to see me complaining about it.

Kellie said:
Geez Doug, learn to form an opinion!

notoriousDUG said:

Eddie said:

Regards,

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service