The Chainlink

Cops writing tickets for rolling the stop signs just east of the river, in the protected lane. You're gonna want to stop :-/. One of the cops told me he was going to "knock me off my bike if I didn't stop". As always, a bunch of sweethearts.

Views: 3701

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The CPD conducts stings for cars not stopping for pedestrians in crosswalks.  I wish they'd do these stings more often though because obviously it's not sinking in with drivers, cyclists or jaywalking pedestrians.

Rachel Roszmann said:

If only they'd put this much effort into ticketing people who drive while talking on the phone or drivers who don't stop for pedestrians in crosswalks. Seems like those are the ones who could do serious damage. I'm just sayin'...

The point is simple, when a police officer tells you to pull your bike over to the side of the road and get off it, YOU LISTEN , What part of "PULL OVER" do you not get?

These types of stings get headlines and news coverage, if it makes 2% more cyclists start paying more attention it is a good thing. 

If you think it is OK to act like a belligerent brat to a cop, I'd say you give it a try. Let us know how that works out for you.

Dragonborn said:

What if a cyclist doesn't have identification on them at the time of being ticketed? How could a police officer give a ticket then? A citizen could simply exercise their Fourth Amendment (no unreasonable searches, merely blowing a stop sign is not probable cause for a search) and Fifth Amendment (remain silent, give no information) rights. Cyclists and pedestrians are not required by law to carry identification. Would a cop just arrest the cyclist then? An arrest would be a waste of time and resources, in my opinion.

They conducted a few of those when that law came out. I haven't heard about any since then. Let's face it, the police in this city are apathetic about traffic enforcing laws on bikes, cars and peds. The only reason they are doing these is because of all the anti cycling haters out there. Therefore they are applying the law in a unequal and unfair manner towards us.

Don said:

The CPD conducts stings for cars not stopping for pedestrians in crosswalks.  I wish they'd do these stings more often though because obviously it's not sinking in with drivers, cyclists or jaywalking pedestrians.

Rachel Roszmann said:

If only they'd put this much effort into ticketing people who drive while talking on the phone or drivers who don't stop for pedestrians in crosswalks. Seems like those are the ones who could do serious damage. I'm just sayin'...

Put me down for thinking it's a good idea to obey instructions from police officers.

Nowhere in my post did I imply to "act like a belligerent brat to a cop" or any similar words. I did not say it was okay to treat the police disrespectfully. You're being cynical and you totally misunderstood my post, Duppie. You didn't even bother to answer any of my questions.

Duppie said:

If you think it is OK to act like a belligerent brat to a cop, I'd say you give it a try. Let us know how that works out for you.

we have 2 separate things going on, not stopping for the officer who tells you to stop is totally different then not having ID on you. 

I am pretty sure (not 100%) that you do have to identify yourself when a police office asks you after you have violated the law. If you decide not to stop that escalates things to a much different level. If you feel you are being persecuted for blowing the stop sign take it up in court.

CPD has conducted the crosswalk stings on other occasions.  It just seems like cyclists get targeted because there are only a handful of places they conduct cycling stings, while there are thousands of crosswalks to choose from.

At least Chicago isn't like NYC where they really are targeting cyclists compared to drivers.  How the hell can there be double the number of tickets given to cyclists compared to truck drivers?  http://www.cyclelicio.us/2012/nypd-bicycle-tickets/

Jason said:

They conducted a few of those when that law came out. I haven't heard about any since then. Let's face it, the police in this city are apathetic about traffic enforcing laws on bikes, cars and peds. The only reason they are doing these is because of all the anti cycling haters out there. Therefore they are applying the law in a unequal and unfair manner towards us.

Don said:

Rachel Roszmann said:

If a cop pulls you over because you blew right through a stop sign, and you are getting all cutesy with exercising your Fourth and Fifth amendment rights, then yes, you are acting like a belligerent brat.

I am not cynical, I am merely practical. I don't want to waste my time sitting at a police station while the cops are trying to track down my identity. It is my understanding that they can arrest (not sure if that is the correct legal term) you when you refuse to identify yourself. And they can take you to a police station to verify your identity. I'd rather pay the ticket and move on with my day, having learned a valuable lesson along the way.

But don't take my word for it. Give it a try yourself. I am interested to hear about your experience.

Dragonborn said:

Nowhere in my post did I say to "act like a belligerent brat to a cop" or any similar words. I never said to treat the police disrespectfully. You're being cynical and you totally misunderstood my post, Duppie. You didn't even answer any of my questions.

Duppie said:

You do legally have to identify yourself to police; name and address are required beyond that they cannot force you to give them anything else unless you are being arrested.  It is true you are not required by law to carry ID but it is stupid not to; life is so much easier with it.  You also do not want to say you don't have one on you because if you are arrested and searched and they find out you had ID on you it opens a up a world of trouble.

You also have to obey a lawful command from an officer; if they yell stop and you do not stop they have the legal right to stop you physically; not only are they in the right pushing you off of your bike but you not stopping constitutes flight.

Michael A said:

we have 2 separate things going on, not stopping for the officer who tells you to stop is totally different then not having ID on you. 

I am pretty sure (not 100%) that you do have to identify yourself when a police office asks you after you have violated the law. If you decide not to stop that escalates things to a much different level. If you feel you are being persecuted for blowing the stop sign take it up in court.

And that's when you take off...

Not sure how exercising one's rights is automatically acting like a belligerent brat, but whatever. You're entitled to your opinion.

You are being cynical because from what you wrote, it seems that you believe I'm the type of person that goes out and blows stop signs in front of the police. I'm not such a person. I was only asking in a friendly manner my questions because it could happen to any cyclist who doesn't carry ID with them.

Duppie said:

If a cop pulls you over because you blew right through a stop sign, and you are getting all cutesy with exercising your Fourth and Fifth amendment rights, then yes, you are acting like a belligerent brat.

I am not cynical, I am merely practical. I don't want to waste my time sitting at a police station while the cops are trying to track down my identity. It is my understanding that they can arrest (not sure if that is the correct legal term) you when you refuse to identify yourself. And they can take you to a police station to verify your identity.

But don't take my word for it. Give it a try yourself. I am interested to hear about your experience.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service