The Chainlink

Someone harvested about 5 wheels from the pub ride tonight!  
One of which was mine!
I'm pissed, I'm sure the others with missing wheels are pissed, and you're probably pissed if you're reading this!
It's bullshit and I know wheels are hard to get back, but the least we can do is try.
The flea market and craigslist are the places to look!
If anyone hears anything let us know!
I had a rear white velocity deep V with 17 and 19 tooth cogs on either side.
If you lost your wheel let me know the description. 
I have people who will be scouring the flea markets this weekend.
All we can do is try!

Views: 985

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

you're pretty much wrong.

Rememeber, the thieves are steeling wheels worth over a $100 and selling them for $25-50 which if you have a cost of $0 is a pretty decent profit.

jolondon30 said:

We've had this discussion before, or I have. The market on ebay and craiglist for a single wheel is extremely minimal. you don't get much for them as very few people buy just a single wheel and if you do you typically want to match an existing one. So the odds a given single wheel/rim will sell on those sites is extremely low. My guess is that somebody is going to consolidate these wheels with other wheels and sell them on mass to somebody who sells big lots of parts.  

notoriousDUG said:

It all depends on the type of thief; here are those who choose what to take based on opportunity and ease and then those who choose to take based on resale value.

The guy stealing a Q/R wheel is the crack head selling it for 10 bucks where ever they can and the person stealing the nice wheels with bolts on them are the people selling them via e-bay and CL for what they are worth.

Chicago Bicycle Advocate said:
I have always assumed that thieves will only target easy marks like an unlocked quick release wheel. When I used to have a bike with quick release skewers I would just put a hose clamp over it believing that a thief probably wouldn't bother carrying a screw driver. Obviously, I was naive. Since hearing about this I've just been in the fetal position rocking back and forth afraid to take my bike out;-)

notoriousDUG said:
Why is this unbelievable; do you not think thieves carry tools or know how to take apart bikes?

Chicago Bicycle Advocate said:
That is just unbelievable.

Lindsay E. Stout said:
I even had a chain tensioner on my wheel!
They were stolen from next to El Mamey Lounge on North ave and Talman.
There were no bike racks, so all the bikes were locked to the gates and everyone whos bike was on the inside had their shit taken.

I see way more single speed bikes with mismatched wheels then ones with wheels that match. A quick sale for a in vogue wheel is easy money. LOCK UP YOUR WHEELS !  Locking skewers are pretty easy to beat, and thinking that a thief does not have a crescent wrench or allen key with them is NOT a good security plan. 

If you happen to notice a Fuji Sportif, in 58cm  Let me know, so I can come over and nail the guys testicles to a tree. 

My bike was stolen the day I bought it.  If I ever find the guy who stole it, the police will be his last concern.  Living through the meeting, would be his first concern.

notoriousDUG said:

FWIW I am stopping on the way home from work tomorrow to check out a very suspicious bike seller with an INSANE amount of bikes...

Sorry to hear that happened to you Mark. Would be nice if the thief tried to bring the bike on a Metra train when you happen to be working your shift as conductor. Hope you're able to recover your bike either way. 

Mark said:

If you happen to notice a Fuji Sportif, in 58cm  Let me know, so I can come over and nail the guys testicles to a tree. 

My bike was stolen the day I bought it.  If I ever find the guy who stole it, the police will be his last concern.  Living through the meeting, would be his first concern.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service