The Chainlink

"With all the stolen bike posts lately (and no one thinking "I wonder if there's something under Useful Links for this."), I think it's well past time to make a sticky about the Stolen Bike Registry"

- Tank-Ridin' Ryan

Well said Ryan.

http://chicago.stolenbike.org/

Done and done.

And sticky too.

Cheers - Lee Diamond

Views: 27034

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I should think the first thing a clever thief would do is grind off the serial number from the frame, so even having a receipt in hand may not prove anything.  That being said, you could put your business card in little plastic zip bags, roll them up and hide them inside the handlebars, seat tube, bottom bracket, glue to the bottom of the seat, put one anywhere you can stick a card--even if the thief found one and removed it, the others would still prove your ownership.  Engrave your name on the handlebars and frame--I know, the thief could grind those off too, but a big paintless spot on the frame might make the bike harder for the thief to fence.

Anyone know of any downsides to this strategy?

Kelvin Mulcky said:

Is having pictures, serial numbers, and a stolen bike registry post good enough?

I write my name or my wife's name with a sharpie on the cloth rim strips of both wheels on our respective bikes.  Not sure how practical it would be in the event I found a bike after it had been stolen (considering I'd have to deflate and remove the tire, which would take some time), but I figure it is something easy to do that could help identify the bike as mine in a pinch. 

Thunder Snow said:

I should think the first thing a clever thief would do is grind off the serial number from the frame, so even holding a receipt in hand may not prove anything.  That being said, you could put your business card in little plastic zip bags, roll them up and hide them inside the handlebars, seat tube, bottom bracket, glue to the bottom of the seat, put one anywhere you can stick a card--even if the thief found one and removed it, the others would still prove your ownership.  Engrave your name on the handlebars and frame--I know, the thief could grind those off too, but a big paintless spot on the frame might make the bike harder for the thief to fence.

Kelvin Mulcky said:

Is having pictures, serial numbers, and a stolen bike registry post good enough?

Good idea!  I'm going to do the same now.

ad said:
I write my name or my wife's name with a sharpie on the cloth rim strips of both wheels on our respective bikes. 
I write my name on a 3x5 notecard and roll it up into the seat post.

Thunder Snow said:

I should think the first thing a clever thief would do is grind off the serial number from the frame, so even having a receipt in hand may not prove anything.  That being said, you could put your business card in little plastic zip bags, roll them up and hide them inside the handlebars, seat tube, bottom bracket, glue to the bottom of the seat, put one anywhere you can stick a card--even if the thief found one and removed it, the others would still prove your ownership.  Engrave your name on the handlebars and frame--I know, the thief could grind those off too, but a big paintless spot on the frame might make the bike harder for the thief to fence.

Kelvin Mulcky said:

Obliterating the serial number is actually very rare in my experience (in fact I have never come across an obliterated serial number personally.)  It's a little like using freon to shatter a U-lock-- widely discussed but doesn't seem to be a widespread practice.

Your other ideas are sound-- no downside.

More valuable-- getting owners to register their bikes or at least record their serial numbers.

Very few do.

Thunder Snow said:

Kelvin Mulcky said:

Good to know, h'.  Luckily for us, most thieves aren't very clever or enterprising enough to make recovery any harder.

h' said:

Obliterating the serial number is actually very rare in my experience (in fact I have never come across an obliterated serial number personally.)  

Agree that there is no downside to having a method of identifying yourself as the owner of your bike. Don't tell anyone, but I employ the Mr. Bike method of hiding a business card inside my handlebars. 

With respect to any attempts by thieves to alter the appearance of the bike, my experience is that it very rarely ever happens. Bikes were recovered last year at the Swipe-O-Rama that had all the same accessories still affixed, including one which had a saddle bag still attached containing the victim's prescription asthma inhaler (with prescription label still attached). 

Elliott's experience is the norm not the exception. 

h' said:

Obliterating the serial number is actually very rare in my experience (in fact I have never come across an obliterated serial number personally.)  It's a little like using freon to shatter a U-lock-- widely discussed but doesn't seem to be a widespread practice.

Your other ideas are sound-- no downside.

More valuable-- getting owners to register their bikes or at least record their serial numbers.

Very few do.

Thunder Snow said:

Kelvin Mulcky said:

Not to be a drag or anything, and believe me, I like a good recovery story as much as the next guy, but I just approved the seventh entry to the Chicago Stolen Bike Registry today! Five of them were locked with cable locks, one was locked to an object which was cut, one wasn't locked.

Write down your serial number, take a picture of your bike, lock it with a decent lock to a secure object.

once the sailing season is over I would like to join in on a Swap-o-Rama trip.
Hey Tim, you doing the Tri-State this weekend? I'll be on J105 Valhalla.

Edit: Thanks guys, it's great to hear your encouragement. I'm doing this on my own time and dime, because F*CK bike thieves. I'd want somebody to do the same detective work for me.

I went out west to the Swap-o-Rama in Melrose Park today -

Recovered: Trek DS 8.3 today in Melrose Park.
Trek

Same vendor was there from Wednesday's Alsip market, who had the Trek above. Also the guys in the yellow van were there, but this time they only had a few crappy bikes. I think they're getting the message.

The sellers just say they bought the bike from somebody else. I think they're just glad they're not getting arrested.

I've recovered bikes from a few different vendors now, and they all see me walking in with the police. Hopefully they are discouraged from buying/stealing more bikes and thefts will start to decrease soon.

Will be doing the Tri State on the J111 Kashmir, swing by the boat when you get in, see you in St Joe.

Also, who on here is the owner/admin of the CSBR?

I think you/we should print business cards and distribute to local bike shops to hand to people when they buy a bike that prompt the following:

• Save your receipt and write down the serial number.
  • Register your bike on http://bikeregistry.com.
  • If your bike is stolen, post immediately with as many details as possible about the bike on http://chicago.stolenbike.org/
  • Do something to your bike to make it unique - scratch your name/initials somewhere, drill a hole or make a divot somewhere non-structural, etc.
  • Put your name/phone number/email address on a card in the seat tube and down tube and handlebars, etc.
  • Check the Swap-O-Rama.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service