"With all the stolen bike posts lately (and no one thinking "I wonder if there's something under Useful Links for this."), I think it's well past time to make a sticky about the Stolen Bike Registry"

- Tank-Ridin' Ryan

Well said Ryan.

http://chicago.stolenbike.org/

Done and done.

And sticky too.

Cheers - Lee Diamond

Views: 27126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sadly adding my beloved Jamie to this list:

The CX bike was stolen downtown between 11:45am and 4pm-ish, despite my ABUS Mobile Security Bordo lock. Small Giant Brava bike in pink/white/black with bike rack, pink bar tape & pedals and -like all my bikes - some stickers & tchotchkes. Rear wheel locked with locking skewer. Theft report is filed, and bike is registered with BikeIndex. Please keep your eyes open and let me know of anything else I could/should be doing!

Jasmin, check out the swaporama listed in this thread.  I and others recovered and returned stolen bikes to their original owners that were located there.  I had a bike stolen years ago and wish I did that.  Take a copy of your purchase receipt and pictures of your bike should you need assistance from local security there.

Alleged Bike Thief Downtown Chicago - LaSalle and Division

sharing a recent post from Craigslist:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/d/chicago-bike-thief-downtow...

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the group. My Trek 8.4 DS was stolen yesterday right off of Wacker Drive (211 West Wacker). Security camera in my office building caught the guy, he was hanging in the building lobby for a good 15 minutes before walking to the bike like it was his, used a small saw and cut the U-Lock off. 

This guy was pretty heft, had a polo and pants on and a messenger style bag. Looks like he works in the area.

Are there any solid GPS tags that one can use, such "Find my iPhone" but for bikes? Also, theft-deterrents like skunklock? 

I hope this guy who stole my bike falls in traffic. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service