The Chainlink

"With all the stolen bike posts lately (and no one thinking "I wonder if there's something under Useful Links for this."), I think it's well past time to make a sticky about the Stolen Bike Registry"

- Tank-Ridin' Ryan

Well said Ryan.

http://chicago.stolenbike.org/

Done and done.

And sticky too.

Cheers - Lee Diamond

Views: 27033

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sometimes they just bug out other times there is a very, very awkward conversation.

The times I have recovered bike the person who has bought it got the kind of price on it that caused them to suspect it was stolen.

Here is a good bike shop recovery story and good way to think on your feet if the opportunity is ripe (like, I can't change a flat tire).  Bike was stolen 3 houses from mine.  

You can also browse recovery stories here:

http://chicago.stolenbike.org/search/node/recovered

Although there seems to be an odd trend of late of people not letting us know when their bikes are recovered. Still don't know which listing Comerade's recovery pertains to.

that's not too bad, does anyone have any opinions or ideas on sticker design?  

Is what I came up with ok, or is there something else people would like to see? 

h' said:

The above sticker would probably run something like $350 for 2000. 

Great initiative!

Peter Muller said:

Hey everyone,

I just started a Chicago stolen bikes Twitter feed. We need to get bicyclists to follow the feed so that in the event a bike is stolen, the word can get out ASAP to everyone and eyes can be immediately peeled.

follow "chistolenbikes" or just tweet @chistolenbikes

Finally, a useful purpose for Twitter!

So, another recovery story today thanks to keen eyes and community-mindedness at Comrade Cycles (Chicago/Damen):

http://chicago.stolenbike.org/node/190609

And I finally got around to asking for details to pin down the recovery from April 24:

http://chicago.stolenbike.org/node/184536

Note the date of theft on both of these.

Next time you pass the shop, give it a hug for me.

h' said:

Ah, another piece of the puzzle. The victim's wife sent an e-mail earlier wanting to make a donation without much other info besides the 2-year figure. Awaiting further details. We generally wouldn't name a bike shop that assisted in a recovery unless they specifically requested to be named.

Thanks for your role in that one, CC!

I want to make the point here that those recovery stories at Comrade could not have happened if people had not put their bikes on the registry.

The lest week or so I have seen several bikes that I would bet cash money were stolen and none of them were on the registry.

I will also contribute time and money.

Cameron Puetz said:

Do people still want to pursue this? I'll volunteer time and money to make it happen as well.

Liz said:

that's not too bad, does anyone have any opinions or ideas on sticker design?  

Is what I came up with ok, or is there something else people would like to see? 

h' said:

The above sticker would probably run something like $350 for 2000. 

I sent an email to those who have expressed interest in going in on the sticker.  If anyone else is interested let me know. 

Thanks! 

Saw some questionable activity 5/17 around 2pm, but not an actual theft... so if anyone lost or knows of a stolen, older red mountain bike with bar-ends near Wells and Adams... It looked like it had a thick uncoated steel chain (stainless?) coiled around the top (?) tube but I couldnt tell if it had been cut.  The bike was loaded into the back of a new-ish white van, untinted windows, that had just pulled up.  License plate 70 771 V (I think).  They had a bunch of empty boxes in the van, I didn't see any other bikes.

stocky hispanic looking guy with a black shoulder bag was wheeling the bike, eastern european looking guy driving the van.

I am once again going to reiterate how important it is to register you bike on the stolen bike registry!

This morning I saw an Independent Fabrications bike that I am 99.9% sure is stolen.  All of the indicators were there; the 'owner' did not have cycling shoes and it had SPD pedals, there was alock around the frame he did not have a key for, he did not have the proper tool to remove the rear wheel and when questioned about where he got the bike it took him a minute to say his uncle gave it to him.

Sadly the bike had no hits by brand, description or S/N on the registry so they left with it.

damm...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service