The Chainlink

So I had an interesting thought the other day regarding "sticker bombing" my bike. Until now, my bikes have always had pristine frames with no stickers other than the frame decals the came with. For those unfamiliar with the term, to "sticker bomb" a bike is to plaster all manner of stickers on every available surface of the bike. Some folks do it to make a political statement, some to be wacky, some even do it to make their bike less attractive to thieves.

Until now, I'd taken any bike-related stickers and just stuck them on a tool box or the back of my car that I almost never drive. It occurred to me that while I personalize my car with stickers, why not my bike until now? I asked a general question of some cycling folks I know and their thoughts on stickers on a bike and almost universally the response seemed to be that stickers were either juvenile on a bike (but okay on tool boxes), and/or that a bike should remain pristine and unadorned in anything but what it left the factory with.

I see sticker bombed bikes a lot although they're definitely in the minority. I was intrigued by this seemingly innocuous practice which seems to have such polarizing potential, like a discussion about chain lube or fenders. I'm curious as to what a larger segment of cyclists thinks versus the small cross section that is my own circle of cycling folks.

Views: 4768

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ooooh- that is the best! 

Jaik - 4.3mi said:

If you're looking for some extra stickers, that are somewhat random, Sticker Mule will send you a sample pack of 9 stickers for $1. It just so happens to include one of my favorite stickers, the Nerd Life tattooed knuckles... http://www.stickermule.com/products/sample-pack

Here is what I do- buy mailing labels (any size, I prefer 8.5" x 11") draw or write or print on them whatever you want. Cover with clear packing tape for shine and durability (not always waterproof!) Trim stickers into whatever shape/size you like. Stick onto your bike! Or helmet, which is more my thing. I love bikes with stickers- its art. Pristine bikes are nice, but when I see one with stickers, I think that person is more one with their bike, it is a means of self-expression and it can be really fun.  

I did some 3M reflective tape and some bikey stickers... 

So did I!

Hope this is not too inappropriate, but here is one I made- 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/157684770/butterfly-bike-helmet-or-oth...

The first few years I kept my fixie pristine as part of the minimalist nature.

Then one day there was a single sticker I really liked (naked ride maybe?) and I decided what the hell, it's mine to decorate as I please (same as my policy on tattoos), and now its fairly covered.  At one point it was an experiment to compare durability of different types, but now I've long since forgotten which were test and which were control, and some are two layers deep.  I joke that they provide improved structural integrity, but seriously I do think they've drastically reduced my theft risk.  Partial shown below, also wrapped in holiday lights.

Where did you guys get the reflective tape? I'd like to buy some.

I think all Madones should be covered in stickers, except for Fabian's and Jen's

I got mine from Amazon - 3M reflective tape.
If anyone has some hello kitty stickers to give away I'll take them.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service