The Chainlink

Based on reports received and posted to the Chicago Stolen Bike Registry for April & May 2012:

Reported thefts:128 (+21% from 2011)

No Lock: 32 

Cable Lock: 45

Newer U-Lock w/flat Key: 14 (-5% from 2011)

Security Chain: 2

Other: 34

Defeated Fence/Post: 13 (-3% from 2011)

Garage/Common Area: 52

Knows serial number: 48 (-4% from 2011)

Change in overall thefts reported could be due to weather, could be due to increased CSBR awareness, could be due to sun spots and crop circles. Stats on U-locks and defeated fences and sucker poles is encouraging, though the continued use of cable locks and thefts from garages, porches and common areas of oftentimes unlocked bikes is disappointing.

Views: 920

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pretty small statistical universe to do any year-over-year analysis other than more people are reporting stolen bikes. 

The fact that only 48 of 128 know their serial number is pathetic.  If you don't know the serial number of your own bike was it ever really even yours?

I don't know the serial number of many of my bikes.  We should do a PSA to remind people how to find their serial number and where to store it.  Where would we find this info? Can someone post a link to those of us lazy folk (i'm up there and I'm sure a little searching would do it).

James BlackHeron said:

Pretty small statistical universe to do any year-over-year analysis other than more people are reporting stolen bikes. 

The fact that only 48 of 128 know their serial number is pathetic.  If you don't know the serial number of your own bike was it ever really even yours?

There's a link to Bike Revolution on the CSBR website which will redirect you to Bike Shepherd (name change). Registration is free.

Julie Hochstadter said:

I don't know the serial number of many of my bikes.  We should do a PSA to remind people how to find their serial number and where to store it.  Where would we find this info? Can someone post a link to those of us lazy folk (i'm up there and I'm sure a little searching would do it).

James BlackHeron said:

Bike manufacturers are just as responsible for the lack of standardization or even giving much effort into making serial numbers an effective theft-deterrent. 

And why should they?  A person who just got their bike stolen with an almost zero chance of recovering it is a potential new customer -right?

Serial numbers can be almost anywhere.  The bottom of the Bottom bracket (often under the cable guides so they can't be read) is common, as is on the seat tube near the top on old Raleighs. Sometimes on the head tube or at the top or bottom tube near the head tube (motorcycle style) or even on or near the rear dropout.  Sometimes the numbers are poorly stamped and the paint obscures them, sometimes there are multiple numbers in different places -that might not even match (isn't that great?  Nothing like a bike having two different numbers in two different places to confuse the situation right?)

I have a Trek 720 multi-track that has 3 different numbers stamped on top of each other on the bottom of the bottom bracket  going different directions.  It's such a jumble that it is impossible to even write it down without just taking a picture of it and hoping that whomever finds it reads the right numbers in the right order. 

But as bad as the serial number situation is, it's even worse when people give up or don't try.  It's best to write down all the information about your bike on a sheet of paper -Make, model, year, color, accessories, included equipment, identifying marks and stickers, and maybe a photo of what it looks like and store it with other important documents like your auto title and birth/marriage certificates. 

There is a website run by goodwill industries that does free pre-theft registrations and even sells special hard-to-peel-off number stickers to help identify bikes when they are stolen.  

BikeResgistry.com 

On a side note, I saw a news report last night stating that theft in Lincoln park is down 72% (!) now that the crazy police-harrassing guy with all the garage door openers is in custody.

Wow,  that's pretty amazing.  

I'd like to see some real numbers showing an accurate picture of how many thefts are done by salted pros, and  how many are done by opportunist small-timers.   

If it consists of mostly a small universe of hard-working thieves maybe I could just brush up on my voodoo curses and rid the city of a sizable chunk of bike theft. 

h' said:

On a side note, I saw a news report last night stating that theft in Lincoln park is down 72% (!) now that the crazy police-harrassing guy with all the garage door openers is in custody.

And it certainly doesn't hurt that Kenneth Robertson remains in custody:

h' said:

It's like a birth certificate for your bike!  I did one when I bought my bike. I even took a bunch of pictures of all the things that made my bike unique.

I also registered with the national bike registry.  I know it costs money, but it's pretty low and your bike stays registered for 10 years and cops nationwide have access to it. 

Everyone should pick up a city registry post card at their local bike shop.  It's free and takes 5 minutes to fill out and another ten to pop in the mail.  (Whoah... I just found out you can even do this online:  LINK)  I wonder if you still get a sticker...

Any way I am full believer in an once of prevention...and all that.   I only have one bike and the money to buy a new one isn't growing on trees.  Plus I depend on it every day!  

James BlackHeron said:

Bike manufacturers are just as responsible for the lack of standardization or even giving much effort into making serial numbers an effective theft-deterrent. 

And why should they?  A person who just got their bike stolen with an almost zero chance of recovering it is a potential new customer -right?

Serial numbers can be almost anywhere.  The bottom of the Bottom bracket (often under the cable guides so they can't be read) is common, as is on the seat tube near the top on old Raleighs. Sometimes on the head tube or at the top or bottom tube near the head tube (motorcycle style) or even on or near the rear dropout.  Sometimes the numbers are poorly stamped and the paint obscures them, sometimes there are multiple numbers in different places -that might not even match (isn't that great?  Nothing like a bike having two different numbers in two different places to confuse the situation right?)

I have a Trek 720 multi-track that has 3 different numbers stamped on top of each other on the bottom of the bottom bracket  going different directions.  It's such a jumble that it is impossible to even write it down without just taking a picture of it and hoping that whomever finds it reads the right numbers in the right order. 

But as bad as the serial number situation is, it's even worse when people give up or don't try.  It's best to write down all the information about your bike on a sheet of paper -Make, model, year, color, accessories, included equipment, identifying marks and stickers, and maybe a photo of what it looks like and store it with other important documents like your auto title and birth/marriage certificates. 

There is a website run by goodwill industries that does free pre-theft registrations and even sells special hard-to-peel-off number stickers to help identify bikes when they are stolen.  

BikeResgistry.com 

it would be cool if bike shops would register your new bike if you buy it from them. before you walk out the door they input your name and cell phone into one of the above named databases and ALSO email you the serial number as well. This way, you could always call the bike shop you bought your bike at and they can help you.

When my bike was stolen I called Boulevard and since it had only been about a year they were able to find my serial number. 

+1 to Kevin Womack! -he's a class act. 

Julie Hochstadter said:

it would be cool if bike shops would register your new bike if you buy it from them. before you walk out the door they input your name and cell phone into one of the above named databases and ALSO email you the serial number as well. This way, you could always call the bike shop you bought your bike at and they can help you.

When my bike was stolen I called Boulevard and since it had only been about a year they were able to find my serial number. 

We should find out which way his window faces and bring the mass by. I'll host the banner-making party.

Kevin C said:

And it certainly doesn't hurt that Kenneth Robertson remains in custody:

h' said:

Very few shops do not keep a record of serial numbers of new bikes. They're actually required to notify the city of the sale, with identifying info.

What I'd like to see is shops writing your serial number down on your ticket as a matter of course when you bring a bike in for service.

Julie Hochstadter said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service