The Chainlink

Almost every bike lane I use regularly looks like this one (taken tonight):

Anyone know if the city still intends to maintain the current painted bike lanes, or are they being abandoned in favor of protected bike lanes?

Views: 1201

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does it also depend on if the street is owned /maintained by the county instead of the city? IIRC that makes a difference for new bike infrastructure. I assume that it affects re-painting as well. I have no idea how to tell the difference.

a whole stretch of supernorth elston was just redone.  starting at logan blvd going north.  there was glittery reflective stuff all over thats supposed to be mixed with the stiping paint

i guess its not 'supernorth' to many of you.

I hope they did a less retarded job of re-lining Elston North of Logan than they did just south of it.
Re that half mile strip of Narragansett along the east side of The Brickyard: good that the city reduced it from two lanes of (sometimes dangerously) fast traffic each way and put in a decent bike lane both directions. However, the city failed to actually stencil in the bike and rider symbols in those lanes. Result - there are some stupid drivers still attempting to speed past other traffic in what would be a perilously narrow car lane, but is actually a bike lane. Extremely dangerous! Camera enforcement might be a good idea there, too.
The bike lanes along Diversey west of Milwaukee are in a parlous state, too. Pretty much invisible to motorists. In fact some of the lines on the westbound side look as though they've even been rubbed out.
Question: To help motorists not stray into bike lanes, why aren't the lines painted with those horizontal raised ridges that vibrate cars when they start to stray into the emergency stopping lanes on interstate highways?
that stretch of diversey is in fact dangerous.  all the establishments that have sprawled there increased traffic, double parking, valet misuse, and taxis quickly jumping into the lane any time someone raises their arm tryin to be the first to pick em up.  its only from ashland to damen, but its a stretch to be traversed with caution.
probably $$, but moreso, it would exacerbate potholes, id imagine. good idea tho

Bike Bloke said:
Question: To help motorists not stray into bike lanes, why aren't the lines painted with those horizontal raised ridges that vibrate cars when they start to stray into the emergency stopping lanes on interstate highways?
Increased wear probably and I'm not sure if asphalt would be able to keep the ridges intact.  The ridges I've seen have been on concrete.

Bike Bloke said:
And good luck "taking the lane" when necessary, if it involves crossing a rumble strip to get there.

I believe those horizontal raised ridges that vibrate cars are called "rumble strips".  I saw an example of that when I rode to Bong Recreation Area last September.  They were in the middle of WI 142 and they are the bane of many bicyclists.

From Grand To Elston is a mess.

The bike lane is painted north of Chicago but then cars park in right turn lane area so the bike lane is either a car lane or they make a right turn in front of you from the left/through lane.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service