The Chainlink

Almost every bike lane I use regularly looks like this one (taken tonight):

 

Anyone know if the city still intends to maintain the current painted bike lanes, or are they being abandoned in favor of protected bike lanes?

Views: 1158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can barley tell that it is just to the left of the Designated Corn Cart lane.

If you call 311 and complain, they might do something about it- like the potholes they're supposed to fix? Or, you could do it yer damn self 

http://youtu.be/19oo7Ejq9WI

For what it's worth, multiple stretches of Milwaukee and Kedzie avenues have been recently re-striped.  My assumption is that Damen (the street in your photo, I think) will be too, along with others.

CDOT's Bike Program has a google map showing where they will be doing bike lane restriping.

2011 bikeway installations

Up until the new fearless leader took over from the last fearless leader there was ZERO road paint marking maintenance for about 5-6 years.   Stuff is happening now -but after a half decade or more it's going to take a LONG time to catch up to where we should have been had even a modicum of upkeep have taken place during that linage interregnum

 

With the workers out putting up the promised new bike infrastructure I'm surprised that they have anyone left to work on the old ones.  By the stupid way some of the older lanes have been re-lined I figure they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for city workers who can operate on their own without their hands being held by a supervisor on site.    

 

I guess it is better than nothing. 

Thanks for this.

The photo is of California.  The lanes are almost gone on S. California and S. Western.  The lane on the canal bridge on Western is especially important.

 

Nothing in my part of town (12 ward) is on this list.  Lazy-ass losers.

 

Todd Fujimoto said:

CDOT's Bike Program has a google map showing where they will be doing bike lane restriping.

2011 bikeway installations

From what I hear  from an acquaintance within the water dept., Rahm has private contractors "racing" against city crews to get things done-- if the city crew doesn't come close to the time it takes the contractor to get a similar workload completed, heads roll.

Things are getting done.

What we're seeing now is what it would have looked like all along if city workers actually did their jobs (or had real, actual jobs, or whatever.)

 

James BlackHeron said:

 

With the workers out putting up the promised new bike infrastructure I'm surprised that they have anyone left to work on the old ones.  By the stupid way some of the older lanes have been re-lined I figure they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for city workers who can operate on their own without their hands being held by a supervisor on site.   

The bike lane on King Drive through Bronzeville & Washington Park is being repainted currently. It looks good. Hopefully that'll spread towards the rest of the city.

I hope the crews get to Wells Street soon. The paint is pretty much gone for an entire block north of North Avenue.

 

Gooseberry Pie! said:

Nothing in my part of town (12 ward) is on this list.  Lazy-ass losers.

Actually, there's a stretch of 26th Street in there which is in the 12th Ward.  But yeah, most of it's on the boring old North Side.
W. 26th St. (Pulaski to Sacramento)
New CMAQ Funded Marked Shared Lane - Completed

3 blocks (from Sacramento to Troy) are in the 12th.


But what is this exactly? I haven't noticed any changes. There's a "real" bike lane from Pulaski to Kostner that's looking bad (not on this list of course.)
Dan Korn said:

Gooseberry Pie! said:

Nothing in my part of town (12 ward) is on this list.  Lazy-ass losers.

Actually, there's a stretch of 26th Street in there which is in the 12th Ward.  But yeah, most of it's on the boring old North Side.

All I know is that's what's on the Google map in the link Todd Fujimoto posted.  I would assume that it falls under the "new bikeway installations" category more than the "restriped bikeways" category, though admittedly that may make it less relevant to this thread.  But you're right, nothing seems to actually be "completed" there.  The map seems to originate from here:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/cdot/provdrs/bike/news/2...

 

But that page doesn't provide any more information.  Who do we know at the city who can shed more light onto what this map actually means?


Gooseberry Pie! said:

W. 26th St. (Pulaski to Sacramento)
New CMAQ Funded Marked Shared Lane - Completed

3 blocks (from Sacramento to Troy) are in the 12th.


But what is this exactly? I haven't noticed any changes. There's a "real" bike lane from Pulaski to Kostner that's looking bad (not on this list of course.)
Dan Korn said:

Gooseberry Pie! said:

Nothing in my part of town (12 ward) is on this list.  Lazy-ass losers.

Actually, there's a stretch of 26th Street in there which is in the 12th Ward.  But yeah, most of it's on the boring old North Side.

RSS

Groups

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service