The Chainlink

Shimano PD A-520 Pedals; Does the entire platform support your foot?

I'm finishing up my new bike and still need pedals. The bike will be used for long distance riding, not for commuting.

I am leery to go to road specific pedals because I want to be able to walk on my shoes for a few minutes. It seems that most SPD pedals only support at the point of contact (the cleat itself)

So for a shoe like a PD A-520, does it support the shoe over the entire pedal length, spreading the weight more evenly? And is it compatible with a MTB style SPD shoe?

Thanks,

Views: 833

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've used those pedals on my old road bike, and I have 520s on my cross bike. I used the same (stiff!) Northwave mtb shoes with both pedals and honestly could not tell the difference. YMMV depending on your shoes. I never got hotspots one either pedal with my Northwaves like I experienced with my previous entry level shoes.

I could see a real benefit if you used less flexy shoes like Chrome or Keen that deformed more around the pedal. On a related note, what's nice about those pedals is that you can use them as platform pedals with sneakers and they'll work fine for short jaunts.

Clipping-in is slightly more of a hassle compared to two sided pedals.

These are quite popular and reliable: 

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-M324-Clipless-Clip-Pedals/dp/B001A...

However MKS is known as the best in solid construction, ease of maintenance, and reliability:

http://www.amazon.com/MKS-Urban-Step-In-Pedal-Silver/dp/B008EFIU7I/...

I should have been clearer.

Currently I use M520 pedals. Due to a persistent injury in my left foot, I had to put the cleats all the way to the back, effectively putting the spindle far behind the ball of my foot.

When I went for a bike fitting at Get-a-Grip, the fitter said that it is less than ideal. A pedal that better supported my entire foot, would allow me to move the contact point forward. He pointed out road pedals as a solution, but I don't think I want those.

Hence my search for platform pedals that fit SPD cleats with MTB soles. I am not looking for dual sided pedals. I have some of those and they work well in daily commuting

Matt M, that MKS pedal looks promising. I have one pair of MKS Lambda pedals and their construction is better than anything else I have.

(On a second look, their SPD side does not have a platform)

Do you have a shoe with a carbon sole? I have an entry level pair of Sidi's and I think they have a nylon sole. The bike fitter mentioned that they are not specifically stiff.

Kelvin Mulcky said:

I've used those pedals on my old road bike, and I have 520s on my cross bike. I used the same (stiff!) Northwave mtb shoes with both pedals and honestly could not tell the difference. YMMV depending on your shoes. I never got hotspots one either pedal with my Northwaves like I experienced with my previous entry level shoes.

I could see a real benefit if you used less flexy shoes like Chrome or Keen that deformed more around the pedal. On a related note, what's nice about those pedals is that you can use them as platform pedals with sneakers and they'll work fine for short jaunts.

Clipping-in is slightly more of a hassle compared to two sided pedals.

I have used the A520, A530, and A600.

I currently use the A530s (Similar to the MKS Urban) on my commuter/camping bike because I ride with street shoes sometimes.  I don't recommend them or those MKS pedals on a bike you are going to put through fast turns, as the platform is closer to the ground and can be very problematic pedaling through sweepers. 

The larger platform of the A520 and A600 can help to eliminate hotspots and I use the A600s for everything else; road, gravel, randonneuring, CC touring.  I really like the A600s, they look better and seem to be better weighted than a520s so they are always ready to go when clipping in.

The larger platform on the A520 and A600 does contact the rubber portions on most of my shoes and I have noticed a difference in comfort on a couple of more flexible shoes like Kevin said.  Some shoes do require a bit of trimming of the sole area around cleat to make clipping in and out less problematic.

If you like your shoes and its a go-fast long distance bike, go A600 or A520.  If its being used for touring or you're not so interested in going fast through turns, the A530 or MKS urban are great for the versatility.

I do have some Performance brand dual purpose pedals and on my current go fast bike, and I have hit the pavement more than once with my pedals cornering too fast.

I had not seen the A600 before. They appear to be an Ultegra level version of the a520s. I might give that one a try.

I think it's technically a carbon reinforced nylon sole.

Duppie said:

Do you have a shoe with a carbon sole? I have an entry level pair of Sidi's and I think they have a nylon sole. The bike fitter mentioned that they are not specifically stiff.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service