The Chainlink

I'm gonna put shellac on my cork grips today and I was wondering if I could do the same to my leather mudguards? I'm guessing it would be ok. The color on the flaps is slightly lighter than my Brooks Honey B17 so I'm hoping a single coat or two will do the job. 

Any advice on how long I should wait in between coats and how thick or thin I should apply the layers? 

Views: 6881

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We did this in Girl Scouts! Boy, was that ever a dumb craft.

I love your bike. I wouldn't do white rims myself, but hand-built wheels are just what this thing needs next. I'm pretty jealous!

Ryan L said:

I'm also thinking about an old project I did in 5th grade where our teacher (who was a vietnam war vet) had us wrap a glass bottle with masking tape and then rub shoe polish on it to give it a leathery look; of course, instead I will use shellac. I'm going to use this technique on the front fender to rack bolt and maybe as accents on the rear rack. If it looks like shit I can just remove it without any harm. Should be a fun little project.
The nice thing about hand-built wheels is that most people have hands.  Wheelbuilding isn't hard to do at all.  I could teach anyone to do it.
James--that's what someone once told me about sewing until they realized I was hopeless with the detail work. It turns out my hands are more like seal fins when it comes to using any fine motor skills. 

James Baum said:
The nice thing about hand-built wheels is that most people have hands.  Wheelbuilding isn't hard to do at all.  I could teach anyone to do it.
It doesn't really take all that much hand-eye coordination to build a wheel.  If you can butter bread you can build a wheel.  It's just knowing where to put each spoke and if you follow Sheldon's advice, even that isn't hard.    Sewing/knitting/crocheting is much harder than wheelbuilding IMHO.  The hardest part of wheelbulding is the tensioning and truing part and even that isn't hard once you do a few and get the feel.

Oh, I tried knitting, too...I sorta kinda liked it, but not enough to keep doing it. 

My friend is a really good guitarist. He always says that in order to be good at something, you have to be willing to suck at it for awhile.  I've found that to be true of just about anything I'm not naturally inclined to do.

I've always been really good at just "picking stuff up" but there are a few things that really eluded me.  Like you, I don't like sucking at things -I'm glad it doesn't happen very often. Two things I just couldn't get the hang of (even though I spent quite a bit of time sucking at them) were Guitar and Morse Code.
How sucky would it be to be really sucky at everything? My three things: hand sewing, playing stringed instruments, and applying that plastic weather protection film on my windows, although I am almost really good at applying that plastic stuff, but I didn't do it this year so I'll be back to sucking at that again.
That window film is just evil.  It's not that hard to put on but 2 months later it starts peeling back off.  The tape they use only sticks after 6 months and then it won't come back off at all.
It looks like the tip of your Brooks is high. A proper saddle adjustment should be level. Lay a six inch level on top the saddle to see if it is there.

Brooks are not always the best flat, they are often more comfortable a little nose high.

Actually many people like to have a saddle that is not exactly level; butts often care not for the 'rules.'

Bernard Joseph Hannigan said:

It looks like the tip of your Brooks is high. A proper saddle adjustment should be level. Lay a six inch level on top the saddle to see if it is there.

What Dug said and stuff.

Bernard Joseph Hannigan said:

The taint wants what it wants.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service