The Chainlink

I'm thinking about selling my 1987 Lotus Excelle. I want to get some cash to purchase a nice single speed bike. I know this Lotus I have is a valuable bike but i'm not sure of what price to sell it for. A friend of mine told me I could sell it for 350 easily but I just want to make sure. I was told that the color and size of this bike were very popular and valuable.

Views: 3071

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you asking for estimates of how much your bike might be worth? I'd say probably around $250 if that's a 700c wheelset.

Why not just turn this into a nice single speed bike? You can make it so you can put the gears back on.

It's a very nice vintage steel bike with Ishatawa butted chromoly lugged frame and forged dropouts with adjuster screws.  The wheels should be Araya alloy 700c and on the rear the 6-speed freewheel & derailleur is an early indexed system. Brakes are 105-level single-pivot side-pulls.

I wouldn't say that $350 would be easy, but if you found the right buyer and the frame is really nice condtion with very few chips or scratches and the rest of the bike is in good shape and tuned it wouldn't be impossible -maybe even a little more. 

The hoods look like they are pretty much gone and the bar tape is hard to tell via a picture.  But all in all it looks pretty cherry for a bike of this age and vintage.

Better and more photos showing the details with close-ups, more information (like what size it is exactly) and a detailed knowledgeable listing is VERY important in selling a bike like this.

What size is this bike? I would be interested in buying.

It's a mid-level bike at best, the 'turkey levers' on the brakes are the giveaway.  That's not to say it's bad, it's not, but neither is it, IMHO, a $350 bike unless it is in perfect shape, completely overhauled, and you find the exact right buyer for whom it's the right size and the bike that was stolen from him in jr high or something.

As is, I think even $250 is optimistic.  Color is blue and white, pretty but not remarkable.  Size looks like 56 or 58cm, so for someone 5'10-6' plus. 

As your friend if HE would give you $350 for it or better yet offer it to him for $300 and tell him he can re-sell it for an 'easy' profit.  ;- )

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service