The Chainlink

Self-Thinning of the Herd (Witnessing Dangerous/Stupid Behavior on the Road)

I'm sure everyone has witnessed people on the road (pedestrians, cyclists, motorists) doing stupid things that put their lives in danger. Any specific instances come to mind?

2 rules:

1. Specifics only - no 'running reds' or j-walking'. Details needed.
2. Only instances that put the perp in danger. No 'this car almost ran this cyclist over' but 'this car sped across the tracks as the gates were coming down' yes.

Calling them out not needed, but it makes for a better read.

Coming up Halsted around Irving, I pass a cyclist on her cell phone. I look back at her while passing. She blows through the red light at Broadway and Montrose, then she's back on her cell phone coming up to Leland. I look back at her again and this exchange takes place:

Her: Do you have a problem?
Me: Just don't want to see you get killed.
Her: Ok, don't watch.

Views: 467

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Granted this is a study for work performance but I swear I have heard this applied to boxing training as well on the Discovery Channel. Research from University of Windsor in Canada showed the effect of music on the work performance of programmers. According to bacon eaters, without background music the quality of work was lowest and it took more time to finish anything. With background music, participants reported positive mood change and "enhanced perception while working". And a side note, they noted that this positive change in mood correlated with an increased in curiosity and willingness to explore new ideas.

How does this translate into biking? For me listening to music helps me keep pace and doesn't let my mind wander allowing me to experience the ride a little better. When I don't listen to music I ride slower and spend most of my time in contemplative thought with very little attention payed to my surroundings.
Regarding Tank Ridin' Ryan's question, there is no way I could play music loudly enough to drown out the sound of a siren. I don't use noise-canceling headphones or anything like that. They're just the cheap standard iPod earbuds. I can hear what's around me.

Listening to music isn't multi-tasking. For me, anyway. Likely if you saw me getting off my bike and asked me what songs had played during my ride, I'd have a tough time recalling.

Potholes don't just 'show up,' they're pretty visible from a reasonable enough distance to check and see if I have space to maneuver around. And I don't ride in the door zone.

notoriousDUG said:
A car can be on top of you in 5 seconds.

A pot hole can show up and cause you to swerve in 2 seconds and if you fail to shoulder check you're done for.

If a door opens wouldn't you like to know if you are about to be overtaken by a car?

As a motorcyclist as well as a bicyclist I can not imagine riding with music blaring in my ears because sound is the number one way I tell what is happening around me.

Thang and I were biking up the Hipster Highway (Milwaukee) a couple weekends ago. Approaching a red light at Damen, I followed him to a slow stop, a minivan waiting about a foot and a half to our left, all of us crowded by pedestrians trying to cross outside of the crosswalk. As I ease to a stop, some guy on a fixie barrels into the back of me yelling "whoa whoa!". He had the brilliant idea of trying to pass between me and the minivan!, rather than just coming to a stop and waiting his turn. Somehow he tumbled forward over his bike hitting the van's mirror, without knocking me over. And he was apologetic, I have to say. It's wierd though- that's the second time in less than a year that I've been rear-ended by a fixie. Last time the guy broke my derailleur.
1. You can't compare an activity where you're sitting in a chair (programming) to an activity where you're moving (cycling). Show me a programmer who has to navigate traffic, balance on two wheels, keep up speed, make sure they don't bump into anything while writing code and I'll eat my helmet.

2. Sorry that you're too busy with the meaning of life (btw, it's plastic) to pay attention to your surroundings.

Spencer "Thunderball" Thayer! said:
Granted this is a study for work performance but I swear I have heard this applied to boxing training as well on the Discovery Channel. Research from University of Windsor in Canada showed the effect of music on the work performance of programmers. According to bacon eaters, without background music the quality of work was lowest and it took more time to finish anything. With background music, participants reported positive mood change and "enhanced perception while working". And a side note, they noted that this positive change in mood correlated with an increased in curiosity and willingness to explore new ideas.

How does this translate into biking? For me listening to music helps me keep pace and doesn't let my mind wander allowing me to experience the ride a little better. When I don't listen to music I ride slower and spend most of my time in contemplative thought with very little attention payed to my surroundings.
I'm not sorry, I'm never bored.
I would disagree. I don't think instigation is limited to speech. A well placed glower is frequently more powerful. It seems quite clear, based upon the narrative, he was the instigator. And, for the record, I'd probably tell him to mind his own business as well.
Also, how/why did you turn that into a gender issue?

Clark said:
Audrey Crescenti said:
...Yeah the reply was wittier than her middle finger...how about we mind our own business more often?...leave her the hell alone...

Point taken Audrey....but you see, Ryan didn't instigate the conversation:

"...I look back at her again and this exchange takes place:
Her: Do you have a problem?
Me: Just don't want to see you get killed.
Her: Ok, don't watch."

Guys get blamed for trying to control women all the time (at least I do). But Ryan was just keeping an eye on her, and didn't say a word until she asked him a question...isn't that acceptable behavior? Can't guys even LOOK these days without getting into trouble?
It sucks when people don't pay attention to what they are doing, whether or not they can successfully multitask or whatever you want to deliberate about the definition of such things.

In the past week, I saw a cab slam into a truck while swerving in and out of lanes. A cyclist yard sale over a curb for not paying attention. And a pedestrian walk into a sign post. (last one I laughed out loud, sorry, it was hilarious)

Point, people either lapse in paying attention or really think the world will move around their intended path. It is impossible to tell which most of the time. I personally just steer clear of anyone I think is off in lala land or doing something stupid. Just like you never pass a swerving and assumed drunk driver, you keep clear of idiots that aren't paying attention on a bike. Being "right" doesn't always equate to keeping yourself safe. No matter what your definition of "right" is.
Jack, your post reminds me of seeing people walking down the sidewalk typing away at their Crackberries. I always go "Heads up!" as I'm approaching them. Most seem to realize that they're strolling down the sidewalk then.
This morning headed west on Armitage out by Pulaski I saw a young lady riding in traffic with her helmet hanging off of her bar...

What's the point of having it then?
Protecting the bike in the event of a crash.

notoriousDUG said:
This morning headed west on Armitage out by Pulaski I saw a young lady riding in traffic with her helmet hanging off of her bar...

What's the point of having it then?

If this post on craiglist is at all accurate, then I don't know whether to admire the cyclist's skills in multitasking and riding or to condemn the recklessness of riding a bike while eating a bowl of cereal.

Me: brown hair, green shirt, tall-ish, office worker type You: red-ish/blond hair, white & red cruiser style bicycle mid-late 20's
Alright, I'm not looking for a hookup or anything, I just want to know your story! I mean......you were riding your bike north on State St., being tailed by buses and cabs and YOU WERE EATING A BOWL OF CEREAL!!! Riding one handed, eating your bowl of Wheaties, Raisin Bran, Total, Special K or (perhaps ironically) Quisp?

If you see this, young lady, you should know that 1.) I fear for your safety (wtf no helmet?) and 2.) I somewhat admire your gumption!

PS. Tell me the color of your cereal bowl
FTW!.

Luckily this will soon be a thing of the past, as hipsters are ready to move on to the next hip thing

S said:

If this post on craiglist is at all accurate, then I don't know whether to admire the cyclist's skills in multitasking and riding or to condemn the recklessness of riding a bike while eating a bowl of cereal.

Me: brown hair, green shirt, tall-ish, office worker type You: red-ish/blond hair, white & red cruiser style bicycle mid-late 20's
Alright, I'm not looking for a hookup or anything, I just want to know your story! I mean......you were riding your bike north on State St., being tailed by buses and cabs and YOU WERE EATING A BOWL OF CEREAL!!! Riding one handed, eating your bowl of Wheaties, Raisin Bran, Total, Special K or (perhaps ironically) Quisp?

If you see this, young lady, you should know that 1.) I fear for your safety (wtf no helmet?) and 2.) I somewhat admire your gumption!

PS. Tell me the color of your cereal bowl

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service