Self-Thinning of the Herd (Witnessing Dangerous/Stupid Behavior on the Road)

I'm sure everyone has witnessed people on the road (pedestrians, cyclists, motorists) doing stupid things that put their lives in danger. Any specific instances come to mind?

2 rules:

1. Specifics only - no 'running reds' or j-walking'. Details needed.
2. Only instances that put the perp in danger. No 'this car almost ran this cyclist over' but 'this car sped across the tracks as the gates were coming down' yes.

Calling them out not needed, but it makes for a better read.

Coming up Halsted around Irving, I pass a cyclist on her cell phone. I look back at her while passing. She blows through the red light at Broadway and Montrose, then she's back on her cell phone coming up to Leland. I look back at her again and this exchange takes place:

Her: Do you have a problem?
Me: Just don't want to see you get killed.
Her: Ok, don't watch.

Views: 499

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You know of course, if you had said this, she would have told you to "wear earbuds."

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said: Either way, I can turn my head, but I can not close off my ears to the accompanying sounds (none of which are sure to be pleasant).

But her actions can hurt others.

For one thing she can collide with a pedestrian or another cyclist causing them physical harm and injury as well as property damage all resulting in monetary loss. Just because we are in the 90th percentile when it comes to vulnerability out there it does not mean there are not people we can injure.

But there is another aspect to it as well; look back at the story Arrak posted. His mother was permanently traumatized by an accident that was not her fault. Running a light and getting hit by a car may hurt you worse physically but the person you caused to hit you is going to carry it with them forever and I don't think it is really fair to them.

Spencer "Thunderball" Thayer! said:
Tank, basically Mills is saying that ones actions can only reasonably be limited by another if said action will cause harm to another and then only limited in such a fashion to ensure that the harm does not fall on anyone but the actor.

Or in other words, unless you know it'll hurt someone else mind your own business yo.
Haha, and I would've asked how I accidentally was cycling through a rock concert.

Kevin Conway said:
You know of course, if you had said this, she would have told you to "wear earbuds."

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said: Either way, I can turn my head, but I can not close off my ears to the accompanying sounds (none of which are sure to be pleasant).

i tend to practice what i preach. have i/do i? yes...but in 'safe' circumstances, ie no one else on street, no traffic, etc. definately not flying down one of chicago's busier avenues and boulevards, and not even in a bike lane. and if i fuck up, i will take responsibility. like someone else mentioned...too many are quick to say "why me".

more notable, though...is really the safety issue, and what you mention, if the safety concerns have been evaluated...of talking on phone while on bike, particularly vs car. tho i havent looked up documented studies, i actually believe talking on phone while cycling is more dangerous than driving...

have you ever tried breaking suddenly with only one hand on the bars? its funny to watch from a spectator aspect, not so much the rider. at least in a car, you break with your foot. we can then include the other typical distractions it offers which are the same as a car...impaired hearing, impaired clarity due to mind being elsewhere. We also have impaired mobility due to the one hand on bars, and having to turn to view your peripherals...bikes typically dont have mirrors mounted on, let alone 3 that the car offers.

H3N3 said:
Iggi,
You don't talk on the cell phone while riding
But have we even established that riding a bike while using a phone is dangerous even to the person doing it?
Is talking on the phone hands free and listening to music through ear buds statistically different?
As a matter of fact, no.

H3N3 said:
Mike,
You've never talked on a cell phone while on your bike?

Two riders riding West bound on 99th, against East bound traffic. I was distracted myself, not a good combo.
The guy who was riding E into WB traffic on Golf (between River and the Tollway) last friday afternoon rush. (You were very nearly my hood ornament, fella. And not for the first time...)
Driver I passed NB on Damen last week while I was riding home, smoking in her left hand, cellphone conversation with her right hand, and shifting her manual transmission with her left hand as well. A virtuoso performance of distracted stupidity.
I have to call myself out on this topic. Last night I met some friends for drinks in Pilsen, and I had a couple too many. As I was riding back home I swerved way out into the lane a couple of times. Good thing it was so late and there was no traffic...

I know many of us drink and ride, but sheesh sometimes too much is too much.
rad thread.
Separate issue. I never tell people how they should be riding, walking or driving. Very, very rarely, I will yell at a bike, pedestrian or car, but that has more to do with my acute anxiety in the immediate aftermath of a perceived threat, as opposed to seizing a "teaching opportunity." I think it's wasted energy and I'm not going to change how people ride, walk and drive. My job is to miss them.

Audrey Crescenti said:
[continuing to break my place as a lurker] I'm sorry but...I'm not. Yeah the reply was wittier than her middle finger, but that doesn't take away from the fact that she was being a moron. Can we stop peddling semantics and agree to that? If you're on your cell on a bike (like some have intimated), then you are also a_total_moron.

That being said, in the spirit of misguided Millian wisdom, how about we mind our own business more often? Unless that girl swirves into you, or does something to immediately threaten your own welfare, leave her the hell alone. They'll do what they do anyway. They always do.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service