The Chainlink

seeking a route of 100 miles of scenic road biking, starting and ending in Evanston

I'd like to do a century, since I've not done it before, and wondered what might be a good route, or links to check out, or maps online somewhere.  I'd like to start and end in Evanston, and avoid as much traffic as possible, trails are welcome

thanks

Views: 578

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks for the link! 

I've always just stayed on Sheridan road from Great Lakes all the way to up to Wisconsin. Personally, I think it's a pretty nice route through North Chicago and Waukegan. Bowen Park is a nice rest stop as well (also a good turn-around point if you're looking for more of a 50-60mi ride).  

JeffB (7+ miles) said:

How far north do you stay on Sheridan before going back to the trail?  I'm not a fan of that section either, mainly due to the frequent street crossings (and occasional harassment from the residents)

Lanterne Rouge said:

I will say though - after riding on Sheridan exclusively past the Great Lakes Naval center this past Saturday, I'll never take that section of the McClory trail again. I was expecting craziness and lots of bad drivers to buzz me, but surprisingly people were giving me lots of room (except for near the Piggly Wiggly on the border, people were driving like animals by that minimall.) It was a much better alternative to being on a gravel path in the hood.

Good call. I actually stopped a little ways north at Lyons Woods parking lot. It wouldn't be a ride if I didn't fill my bottles with skunky well-water, ha!

Just to be different, I thought I'd offer a route heading south.  If you start at, say, Dawes Park, you could head south toward the Lakefront Path in Chicago, then follow the extension to Northwest Indiana (NWI), and ride on the Burnham Greenway Trail to the Eerie Lackawanna Trail.  I believe the 50 mile mark would be somewhere around Griffith, IN.  You can grab some ice cream, food, or whatever, then return back.  I live on the south side, so my distances from Evanston may be a little off.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service