The Chainlink

Clark Park is a pristine river front park which contains acres of green space and a half mile river front trail, soccer fields, native gardens and a state-of-the-art BMX trail. Also, it has a public canoe/kayak launch and is a recognized butterfly sanctuary and bird watching habitat.

We oppose constructing a 2 acre sized boat warehouse/crewing facility which will negatively impact the park - it will be too large for Clark Park and introduce a 3 story building, surrounded by concrete, increased vehicle traffic, and will interrupt existing activities at the park. The public demands a period of public review to investigate moving the facility to a larger park or a different location.

A much smaller boathouse facility could be constructed at Clark Park, containing canoes/kayak, badly needed washrooms and a public water source, concessios and possible bike rental. Green Space is the most valuable resource in the parks, especially in this one-of-a-kind riverfront park - it must be protected for future generations.

http://www.change.org/petitions/chicago-park-district-and-the-city-... 

Views: 11914

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Liz, I am trying to post here and do several things at the same time, so apologies if I'm being too vague, that was directed at the fellow making the argument that a boathouse serves the public but that a bike/ped bridge is somehow elitist.  I don't know what else to call that but total lunacy.

The gist of the situation is "Is it possible that the bridge could be designed in a manner that allows both a boat house and a bridge?"

No, it is not.  This has been made abundantly clear by everyone familiar with the situation.

I don't doubt your intentions as they sound sincere, but something stinks here.  And it is the posters who are now realizing this isn't simply about a boat house but is also about bike infrastructure and are moving the goalposts of the argument.

That argument basically boils down to should people in the larger area have final say in what happens in their park, or should the "rowing community."  I admit that community is a large mystery to me.  Having grown up in this area and still living nearby, and having canvassed for multiple campaigns, I'd put a demand for a giant boathouse pretty close to the bottom of the list in terms of what I've long heard residents in this area tell me they care about.  I don't have a problem with the concept whatsoever, this is just clearly not where that infrastructure is wanted.

I also note I posted a topic on this bridge a year ago - and nobody responded at that time "hey, I'd love a bridge but what I'd really prefer is a large privately-managed boathouse."

What seems to be happening is now that a boathouse some would prefer is on the table, loyalties to the biking (and walking) public have disappeared.  And for those of us west of the River, it is this boathouse which smacks of elitism.  I and the hordes like me living in Avondale are required to bike on Belmont to get to Clark Park (or Addison).  Our safety most definitely should trump someone's desire for personal boat storage on prime public riverfront property.

"While a private entity would be running the rowing club, members of the public would be able to join and use the facilities.  The same situation that exists with the current canoe/kayak rental. "

Just because the public is able to rent out storage space at a privately managed boathouse doesn't mean it isn't a private facility.

You are only somewhat correct regarding the canoe/kayak rental analogy, as anyone can show up and rent those boats (and the storage is far from permanent). 

The situation being proposed is more closely akin to the yacht club.  I can't go and rent somebody else's yacht.

But you live in Roscoe Village - and so I would simply ask, did anyone actually ask your opinion on the boathouse before as the Alderman's rep put it, it became a done deal as it's well into the planning stages? 

All anyone wants, expects and (IMO should demand) is a far more transparent process here and to know this is what the area wants and needs. 

What I do know is open space is extremely rare and valuable in Chicago, much less on the North Side along the River.  This park is a wonderful retreat from the chaos of the larger area, and should be preserved.  Furthermore, yes, the people like Bill and those with CPAC run an organization open to the public, and one which does river cleanups and all kinds of good works.  Can the rowing community say this about Clark Park?  If you want to talk about alienation, let's talk about people who started attacking Bill and the CPAC who clearly had absolutely no clue how involved in the park they've been.

Liz said:

To your first allegation that rowers just "showed up" on this forum, I have been a member of the chainlink for years and know many of the regular very well, having relationships with them for years.  I go to many cycling events posted through this website. You are the one who started forcing your negative opinion on this forum's users. 

To your second allegation, I live in Roscoe village about 1/4 mile from the park, I use clark park, and I very much enjoy it. I simply do not have enough information on the boathouse to make a decision to fully supporting or opposing it.  I do think that another rowing facility in the city is a good idea and that the claims of the facility being more harm than good to the park are false.  While a private entity would be running the rowing club, members of the public would be able to join and use the facilities.  The same situation that exists with the current canoe/kayak rental. 

I also like the idea of having a bike bridge there, and it seems that the boathouse would remove the bridge proposal.  I find myself crossing the river on Belmont fairly frequently and it is not a pleasant crossing to say the least. While funding has been allocated to the bridge there doesn't appear to be any discussion of an actualy design.  Is it possible that the bridge could be designed in a manner that allows both a boat house and a bridge?  

Making wild accusations and assumptions alienating users of this board will not help you win your argument and you are actually swaying me towards supporting the boathouse by insulting me. 

Apologies for bad tone, I really am out of time here & all you needed to do was go back a few pages in the conversation to find the info.  But  in the interest of staying on topic, here we go:

First, the official word from the 47th ward office clearly acknowledging the bridge has been removed from plans.  What is not clear to me (or anyone, it seems) is whether anyone from the public was ever brought into these conversations about "reevaluating the bridge."

>While I know they (*he's referring to CPAC) have many concerns about the boat house, prior to it being proposed, the bike bridge plan was being reevaluated to connect the parks (Clark to California and Horner Park) and maintain a riverfront bike path rather than a connection to Roscoe. We expect CDOT to call a community meeting about the bike/ped bridge once more of the initial planning for it is done; keep an eye on our newsletter for more information.

Best regards,

Bill Higgins

47th Ward Program Analyst & Coordinator/p>

Second, from Bill Donahue:

>In the early 2000’s the Clark Park Advisory Council proposed that a pedway/bikeway bridge be made a part of Clark Park. It would serve several ends and enjoyed up an enthusiastic response from the Alderman of the 47th Ward, amongst other elected officials. The plan was endorsed by Friends of the Chicago River and the Friends of the Parks. It would be an integral part of the river trail;,our vision is that it would bring many people from the residences west of the river to Clark Park , especially for the enhanced playground we hope to install.; and it should serve as a safe alternative for miles along Roscoe Street for bikes and pedestrians. The bridge would bring the many employees from west of the River to the park during the day. The bridge was included in all of the City of Chicago planning documents for the underbridge connections being funded now by the City of Chicago. The drawings were in the Northeastern Illinois Planning Commission report and detailed plans for the river trail. I have attached the TIF plan LINK for the area as funded by the TIF commission ($65M available within this TIF), seen below:

http://www.ginkgoplanning.com/project%20pages/Addison%20Master%20Pl... /p>

Third, not all TIF projects end up being funded.  But the link below demonstrates that the TIF is most definitely an example of planning long underway, that is the official page on the City's website:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dcd/supp_info/tif/addiso...

Fourth, my own posting of the topic last summer.  I bring this up simply to show that for the City to claim that the boathouse planning has somehow been more comprehensive than planning for the bridge is bs.

http://www.thechainlink.org/forum/topics/new-proposed-chicago-river...

And the bridge is just one reason why the boathouse is a bad idea.  As Bill D. and others have described in great length, the current usage of Clark Park, which represents a unique harmony of natural/open space and amenities like soccer fields and a kayak launch (both of which are still essentially open space) is nothing short of amazing.

Kevin C said:

I think I've read every post on this thread at least once. Was there something discourteous or disrespectful in my request which warranted this terse and non-responsive post?

Carter O'Brien said:

It's called the "Previous" button, Kevin. 

Kevin C said:

Please direct me to the documents regarding the bridge which you and Bill have shared.

Carter O'Brien said:

Bill and I have both shared documents attesting to the long-ago Addison Corridor TIF planning, which is where the bridge "lives."  As in planning documents.  As in the budget.  [snip]

Wow, the exact opposite of helpingmake your case...

Carter O'Brien said:

Kevin C said:

Please direct me to the documents regarding the bridge which you and Bill have shared.

Carter O'Brien said:

Bill and I have both shared documents attesting to the long-ago Addison Corridor TIF planning, which is where the bridge "lives."  As in planning documents.  As in the budget.  [snip]

Cameron, the debate is no longer just "should there be a boathouse."

The debate is, "should there be a boathouse knowing that means we don't get a bike/pedestrian bridge."

So yes - you choose the boathouse, you are being anti-cyclist.

End of story.

Cameron Puetz said:

This has to be the first time in my life that I have ever been accused of being antibike, and I believe my comment history will show me to be anything but some guy who just showed up. The personal attacks are doing nothing to further your cause.

Carter O'Brien said:

Get it?  It's not complicated.  And how ironic that on a bike forum we have rowers showing up and trying to push what is basically an anti-bike agenda as if they represented some large segment of the public.   Like Bill I have been familiar with and an occasional user of this park for DECADES. 

The velodrome is an excellent comparison to the boathouse. Both are large specialized facilities with scattered interest throughout the city, but no single park where a majority of current users are interested.

Your velodrome comparison is not on target.  You don't need anything to make use out of a pedestrian bridge except your feet.  Your Millennium Park quip is also off, there were calls for secured bike parking (and showers) for years predating the park, so that need was long-established, I sure don't recall any Loop businesses saying it was unwelcome. 

This has to be one of the most short sighted and ignorant statements I have read in recent times on this board.

The idea that choosing the 'non-bike' option in one situation makes a person 'anti-bike' is one of the dumbest leaps of logic I could imagine.  You would probably do better for your cause by not talking at this point because you are coming off as an ignorant jerk and bully.  If you do not have the time to properly answer questions maybe you should not do it at all...

Carter O'Brien said:

The debate is, "should there be a boathouse knowing that means we don't get a bike/pedestrian bridge."

End of story.

Cameron Puetz said:

This has to be the first time in my life that I have ever been accused of being antibike, and I believe my comment history will show me to be anything but some guy who just showed up. The personal attacks are doing nothing to further your cause.

Carter O'Brien said:

Get it?  It's not complicated.  And how ironic that on a bike forum we have rowers showing up and trying to push what is basically an anti-bike agenda as if they represented some large segment of the public.   Like Bill I have been familiar with and an occasional user of this park for DECADES. 

The velodrome is an excellent comparison to the boathouse. Both are large specialized facilities with scattered interest throughout the city, but no single park where a majority of current users are interested.

Your velodrome comparison is not on target.  You don't need anything to make use out of a pedestrian bridge except your feet.  Your Millennium Park quip is also off, there were calls for secured bike parking (and showers) for years predating the park, so that need was long-established, I sure don't recall any Loop businesses saying it was unwelcome. 

The case was made and is bulletproof. 

One can either support making Clark Park staying open and enjoyable to all, as well as keeping alive the possibility of making it more accessible via a pedestrian and cyclist bridge, or one can support a facility that is at best quasi-private. 

Choosing option B above means you are keeping a very dangerous status quo in place for your fellow bikers on two of the busiest streets on the North Side.

Take your pick.

Better yet, come out and join me for the river clean up at Clark Park next weekend (May 12), we can look at the site in 3D and everyone interested can see exactly what is at stake.

http://www.eventbrite.com/event/3113152523?ref=ebtn

Event Details

20th anniversary

CHICAGO RIVER DAY 2012

Saturday, May 12, 2012 from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.

Clark Park (Chicago)

SITE CAPTAIN:  Bill Donahue

Join us for an exciting morning along the banks of the Chicago River.

Volunteers will work side-by-side to collect garbage and sort for recycling, remove invasive vegetation, spruce up river-edge trails, plant native seedlings and more.   If you have any questions about this site and what activities will be happening, you can put your questions in the box labeled "ask my site captains." 

LIABILITY WAIVERS

All volunteers must print out and bring with them the appropriate waiver to their Chicago River Day location to participate. If you do not have a signed waiver, you will not be able to participate. For this location, please print one of the following waivers:

Adults (18 and over) – Download adult waiver here.

Minors (under 18) - Download child waiver here.

***Minors must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian while participating on Chicago River Day.  Children without parents/guardians will NOT be allowed to participate.  Students participating through their school will need to turn in signed waivers from parents and with their teachers to participate.

notoriousDUG said:

Wow, the exact opposite of helpingmake your case...

Carter O'Brien said:

Kevin C said:

Carter O'Brien said:

Oh, please.  In the past week I've seen the CPAC derided as a fake organization spreading lies and full of NIMBYs, and my comments are what get you motivated to chime in? 

I don't post anonymously here, and I'm quite happy verbally jousting with people who are obstacles to improving cycling in my neighborhood.  Because if you are one of the people who ruin this opportunity for actual bike-friendly infrastructure you are part of the problem, not the solution.

notoriousDUG said:

This has to be one of the most short sighted and ignorant statements I have read in recent times on this board.

The idea that choosing the 'non-bike' option in one situation makes a person 'anti-bike' is one of the dumbest leaps of logic I could imagine.  You would probably do better for your cause by not talking at this point because you are coming off as an ignorant jerk and bully.  If you do not have the time to properly answer questions maybe you should not do it at all...

Carter O'Brien said:

End of story.

Cameron Puetz said:

Carter O'Brien said:

Surely throwing 8-80 bicyclists who could have safety crossed at the zip-canned Roscoe ped/bike bridge under the wheels of the buses on the unsafe Belmont bridge in favor of a big Frat-boy sport-house rowing complex isn't anti-bike?  

Wow, CPAC was questioned because member of the organization have come on here making broad statements that have little to do with fact or reality.  Members of CPAC have also stating that a rowing facility is a fine thing on the river, just not where they are, which is exactly what being a NIMBY is.  

Your arguments remind me of Rick Santorum's. 

Carter O'Brien said:

Oh, please.  In the past week I've seen the CPAC derided as a fake organization spreading lies and full of NIMBYs, and my comments are what get you motivated to chime in? 

I don't post anonymously here, and I'm quite happy verbally jousting with people who are obstacles to improving cycling in my neighborhood.  Because if you are one of the people who ruin this opportunity for actual bike-friendly infrastructure you are part of the problem, not the solution.

notoriousDUG said:

This giant boathouse would impede the construction of much-needed bicycle infrastructure, for the benefit of a very few, who obviously have cash and influence to throw around.  The plan was somehow arrived at even though members of the community were already advocating for parking, bathroom, and other facilities.  Then, all of a sudden, there is a "magical" plan to build a giant boathouse for essentially what is a rowing club, which wasn't shared with any members of the community, which in Chicago means someone got paid off big-time.  There are other places to build it on the riverfront...  Like, maybe anywhere but in the middle of an existing park?  There's a BIG difference between NIMBY, and "Not In My Public Park Which Is a Public Resource Not Just for Rowers". So that would be, NIMPPWIPRNJR, I suppose.  You can reasonably object to an idea, on the basis of location.  Like, I want homeless shelters built, just not next door to day-care centers.

So if I'm reading this correctly, the bridge at Roscoe was already being reassed prior to the boat house proposal? So therefore the boat house did not alter the plan for the bridge, since that plan was already changed previously. 

Additionally the funding would be used to improve the bike infrastructure in a different manner so it would still be providing improvement to the cycling infrastructure.  

I'm not arguing that the crossings at Belmont or Addison don't suck, and I do think a bridge would be nice, but that doesn't mean its the best way of addressing the problem and not advocating and supporting it doesn't make me anti-cycling. 

Carter O'Brien said:

>While I know they (*he's referring to CPAC) have many concerns about the boat house, prior to it being proposed, the bike bridge plan was being reevaluated to connect the parks (Clark to California and Horner Park) and maintain a riverfront bike path rather than a connection to Roscoe. We expect CDOT to call a community meeting about the bike/ped bridge once more of the initial planning for it is done; keep an eye on our newsletter for more information.

Best regards,

Bill Higgins

Re-evaluated doesn't mean it was off the table.  Building the boathouse is what does that, as now the option for the bridge disappears forever.

Bill Higgins seems quite forthcoming, but if you follow Bill Donahue's timeline, while taking into account the lack of transparency, means it's all just conjecture. 

Something this important (and permanent) warrants a widely-circulated community meeting at the very least.

What we have that that is hard factual evidence are the TIF plans, which vastly pre-date the boathouse.

With all due respect, people who do not need to regularly cross the river at Belmont or Addison from the west don't understand the gravity of the problem here. 

I've been biking city streets since I was about 10, I'm not afraid of these stretches, but there is no doubt they are dangerous.  It wouldn't surprise me if I wake up some day in a hospital and traveling down one of these two roads is the last thing I remember because I got tagged from behind due to the poor layout and sight lines James has expounded on.

I am sure CDOT would be making Belmont or Addison for bike-friendly if they thought it was possible, there are likely IDOT issues/truck routes at play here. 

I have a 6 year old daughter I would love to bike to school at Marshfield and Cornelia.  If there was a bridge at Roscoe I could safely take Roscoe all the way east from Kedzie to Ravenswood, at which point I could jog a bit south or north and continue on a side street.  Right now, I have no safe option to ride with her (or to eventually teach her to ride on her own), and that doesn't simply suck, that is just wrong. I am quite certain from talking to fellow parents at her school that we have lots of company in this regard.

Liz said:

So if I'm reading this correctly, the bridge at Roscoe was already being reassed prior to the boat house proposal? So therefore the boat house did not alter the plan for the bridge, since that plan was already changed previously. 

Additionally the funding would be used to improve the bike infrastructure in a different manner so it would still be providing improvement to the cycling infrastructure.  

I'm not arguing that the crossings at Belmont or Addison don't suck, and I do think a bridge would be nice, but that doesn't mean its the best way of addressing the problem and not advocating and supporting it doesn't make me anti-cycling. 

Carter O'Brien said:

Best regards,

Bill Higgins

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service