The Chainlink

Red Lights for Bikes: Sure Thing or Stupid Nuisance? Tawlk amongst yourselves!

ON WBEZ's 848 this morning, Tony Sarabia chatted with Transportation Commissioner Gabe Klein about Chicago’s newest protected bike lane that will run along Dearborn Street in the Loop and will include red lights for bikes.  More details here!

Views: 1780

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

License sk8 boards and roller blades too...

Hell, license everyone who use the  public thoroughfares... especially pedestrians .

James BlackHeron said:

License sk8 boards and roller blades too...

Wasn't it our buddy Art Golab at the Sun-Times that said:

I say it is traffic jams, energy-wasting stop signs and inefficiently timed red lights, and the elderly who take too long to cross the road that are an environmental disaster.

How about "Bicyclist GoLytely?"

Duppie said:

How about we call them bicyclist traffic light, just there are pedestrian traffic lights?

I think that traffic signals come with the territory. As the infrastructure becomes more complex you have to add more controls. I'm not a huge fan of separate bike infrastructure but in this case it makes sense. Hopefully the added organization and structure encourage others to consider bicycling for their commute as well as help perpetuate the notion of bicycling as transportation.

I hope they turn the bicycle red light on in time so bicycles won't be in the intersection when cross traffic gets the green light.

The protected lane on Ninth Ave in NYC (IIRC) has cycling lights, and I liked them a lot. Much like the usual traffic lights, they work well when they're obeyed and there's a sensible infrastructure for their users. I'm in favor of anything that lends a sense of legitimacy to urban cycling, since its intrinsic legitimacy and the sheer number of cyclists on the streets apparently aren't enough to win over the hearts and minds of drivers in Chicago.

I also reckon they entail both responsibility and recourse for cyclists. Not necessarily bad things.

edit, o yeah, basically what Matt said above.

Done properly, they will not be in lockstep sync with the cars' lights. Cars turning left will have red lights, eg, while cyclists' lights are green, protecting the cyclists from turning cars. That's how they work in NYC and Berlin.

spencewine said:

Assuming that the red lights will be placed where there are already red lights....it seems like a bit of a waste. Cyclist who ignore them, will probably continue to ignore them and cyclist who heed them, will probably continue to heed them.

Hey, this could mean more stop light cameras and revenue for the city!  No thanks.  I'd rather the money be spent for new bike lanes in underserved areas. 

I think this is a great idea, and will be money well-spent.  Sure, there will be some cyclists that continue to ignore, but it probably make them think twice and will definitely have an impact on new riders -- and we all know there are more new riders out there than seasoned ones.

Kudos to Chicago -- keep questioning the status quo!

Visited Copenhagen and Amsterdam last month where hundreds of bike riders commute to work on dedicated bicycle paved paths between the street and walkways. Yes these are equipped with traffic signals and they work great. The riders pay attention and they help protect them and the walkers.

Joe Beemster

If I was going to obey traffic signals I'd buy a car.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service