The Chainlink

I've noticed that our friends at the ATA have become quite vocal in support of red light cameras.  I wonder if camera-love is widespread among their membership base (in which I'm included).  I always ride when I'm not working, but I have to drive on the clock, and I've been nailed twice.  Kinda rubs me the wrong way, especially because Chicago seems to have the shortest yellows I've ever seen.  Opinions?  

Views: 446

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Did you see the Trib today?

Alderman Ed Burke:
"So I guess the myth that we apparently have held out that this is some kind of a great plan to create education and a plan to dissuade people from violating the law is more a myth than anything else," Burke said. "It's a money machine, that's all. Period," he added.
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/clout_st/2010/03/ald-burke-red-...

And allow me to repost my awesome video for those who haven't yet seen it. I'm in love with it.

I will say that several years ago I got a ticket for a red light infraction on Elston.
This was before there were any red light cameras in Chicagoland. The cop specifically mentioned the yellow as being a 3-second yellow. It isn't something they changed for the sake of the red light cameras, it is something put in place long since to trip up the non-locals ;-)
Well I think it's B.S.! Especially when you get a camera involved.

David Lieb said:
The cop specifically mentioned the yellow as being a 3-second yellow. It isn't something they changed for the sake of the red light cameras, it is something put in place long since to trip up the non-locals ;-)
I thought the point of the 3-second yellow was that if you are traveling at or below the speed limit, you should be able to either make it through the light, or safely slow down and stop. If you're speeding, you don't have time to stop OR to get through the light before it changes to red.

David Lieb said:
I will say that several years ago I got a ticket for a red light infraction on Elston.
This was before there were any red light cameras in Chicagoland. The cop specifically mentioned the yellow as being a 3-second yellow. It isn't something they changed for the sake of the red light cameras, it is something put in place long since to trip up the non-locals ;-)
The length of the yellow light is proportionate to the speed limit. I just do not get this whole thing. If you saw a squad car at the intersection you would NEVER accelerate into the intersection on yellow. Why complain about a method of law enforcement that does it's job without prejudice?

heather said:
I thought the point of the 3-second yellow was that if you are traveling at or below the speed limit, you should be able to either make it through the light, or safely slow down and stop. If you're speeding, you don't have time to stop OR to get through the light before it changes to red.

David Lieb said:
Yellow proportional to speed limit? What are you basing that on? If you're going only by the video, 35 to 40 is not the same proportion as 3 to 4.5. Not even close.

The 3 second yellow is the issue - the cameras only the irritant. Why such a short yellow? REVENUE. It's my contention that 1. a longer yellow would reduce "red light runs", creating a safer intersection, and 2. that making decisions on the time of the light based on REVENUE as opposed to SAFETY is WRONG and UNJUST.

There are people out there who have done math and physics on the issue - but I'll spare you, except for this nugget - the commonly used reaction time is 1.5 seconds (.75 sec to process yellow + .75 to put foot on brake) and that would leave 1.5 seconds to brake from 35 to stop in worst case scenario. Is that enough time? I don't think so.

And the assumption that I accelerated into the yellow (or that I'm type A (HA!), or any number of other assumptions made here) is incorrect (despite jokes to the contrary).

I think that's about as clearly as I can state my case.

Michael A said:
The length of the yellow light is proportionate to the speed limit. I just do not get this whole thing. If you saw a squad car at the intersection you would NEVER accelerate into the intersection on yellow. Why complain about a method of law enforcement that does it's job without prejudice?

heather said:

David Lieb said:
Strongly against cameras. The City states the only valid contest for a camera red light ticket is if you can prove you didn't own the car at the time. I think that's BS, and that having human judgement at the scene of the infraction is necessary to rightfully issue a citation.

I got dinged for one when I got caught behind a large panel truck that I couldn't see beyond. It was snowing, and he was going about 20 mph before accelerating at the intersection (Western and Irving Park). I was following at a 3 second distance, and only after he got out ahead of me could I see the stale yellow. I felt that I would have lost control of my car had I tried to panic stop at that time, so I made eye contact with the driver in opposing left hand turn lane and went through.

I went in for a hearing and argued for the conditions, and for the insufficient (3 second) yellow length per national traffic engineering guidelines for that intersection. My appeal was denied.

I wrote about this at length on my blog (go figure :).

Active Transportation Alliance said:
Official response from Active Trans: Red light cameras only record those that break the law. They do not record everyone who enters an intersection -- just those who enter them illegally.

This is demonstrably false. The video cameras are rolling well before the light turns red, and you can see vehicles driving through the intersection in a fully legal fashion. The video snippet I was forwarded for my infraction showed this clearly.
Joe,
I usually agree with you, but not this time.
I think the back to back comparison of the suburban and city lights is kind of bogus-- the implication being that all Chicago yellows are inappropriately short. Surely they're all different lengths for different situations and locations.
I also think you weaken your case by quoting Alderman Burke in support of your argument-- show me an alderman with a true concern for moving Chicago forward in any way (and I'll bet you it's not him.)
People die all over this city every day due to an ever worsening deterioration in safe behavior behind the wheel-- the cameras aren't the perfect solution but they're available and affordable, and I haven't seen any viable/realistic alternatives suggested.

Joe TV said:
Yellow proportional to speed limit? What are you basing that on? If you're going only by the video, 35 to 40 is not the same proportion as 3 to 4.5. Not even close.

The 3 second yellow is the issue - the cameras only the irritant. Why such a short yellow? REVENUE. It's my contention that 1. a longer yellow would reduce "red light runs", creating a safer intersection, and 2. that making decisions on the time of the light based on REVENUE as opposed to SAFETY is WRONG and UNJUST.

There are people out there who have done math and physics on the issue - but I'll spare you, except for this nugget - the commonly used reaction time is 1.5 seconds (.75 sec to process yellow + .75 to put foot on brake) and that would leave 1.5 seconds to brake from 35 to stop in worst case scenario. Is that enough time? I don't think so.

And the assumption that I accelerated into the yellow (or that I'm type A (HA!), or any number of other assumptions made here) is incorrect (despite jokes to the contrary).

I think that's about as clearly as I can state my case.

Michael A said:

heather said:

David Lieb said:
Thanks for the courtesy of acknowledging our happy history of agreement, H3N3 - I echo the sentiment. We might end up agreeing to disagree, but we are still on two different pages.

I hate to belabor a point, but if the yellows are all different lengths for different reasons, how am I to know how long the yellow will be? They might as well all be as ("inappropriately") short as the shortest if we are to always safeguard against tickets. And again, I find the cameras distasteful, but it is the combination with unreasonably short yellows that I find truly unjust.

The arguments made here in favor of red light cams (consistency, efficency, etc) carry no weight when the disagreement isn't with their performance but with their application. To put it another way, the schoolyard bully may be consistent, efficient and without prejudice in doling out beatings to anyone who looks at him funny, but he's still wrong and should be stopped.

If the city has a set of guidelines on yellows, I like to see them. Otherwise, maybe we'd be better off with a consistent yellow that we can live with (longer than 3 seconds). Make all the yellows 4.5 seconds and keep your cameras and I'll shut up.

H3N3 said:
Joe,
the implication being that all Chicago yellows are inappropriately short. Surely they're all different lengths for different situations and locations.
Make all the yellows 4.5 seconds and keep your cameras and I'll shut up.

I'd be fine with that. (the 4.5 second thing . . .)
notoriousDUG said:
The problem is the camera is a still camera and there is no way to differentiate between rolling the light and a legal right turn on red.
So, the camera doesn't show when cars are turning?

Sean W. said:
I got dinged for one when I got caught behind a large panel truck that I couldn't see beyond. It was snowing, and he was going about 20 mph before accelerating at the intersection (Western and Irving Park). I was following at a 3 second distance, and only after he got out ahead of me could I see the stale yellow. I felt that I would have lost control of my car had I tried to panic stop at that time, so I made eye contact with the driver in opposing left hand turn lane and went through.
If you're following so closely that you can't see traffic signals, you're breaking the law. If you're driving too fast for the conditions, you're breaking the law. The "three second rule" may be fine in good weather, but not when it's snowing.

Sean W. said:
I went in for a hearing and argued for the conditions, and for the insufficient (3 second) yellow length per national traffic engineering guidelines for that intersection. My appeal was denied.
Okay, so you had your due process and it didn't go your way. If you really did get a bum rap, then I feel bad for you. But that anecdote doesn't convince me that the entire traffic regulation and enforcement system should be thrown out. Am I surprised that the judge dismissed your argument that the problem was that the traffic signal was "insufficient" for you to be able to stop? No. More to the point, if you had been issued a ticket by a cop, would you have fared any better in court?

Sean W. said:
This is demonstrably false. The video cameras are rolling well before the light turns red, and you can see vehicles driving through the intersection in a fully legal fashion. The video snippet I was forwarded for my infraction showed this clearly.
Yeah, and you know what else I can see clearly? Almost every time a light turns red, at least two drivers gun it and blatantly run the light when they could have easily stopped. And most of the time, those drivers were already speeding. How do you propose we change this behavior?

Oh yeah, if it's actual video, not just still pictures, then again, doesn't that show whether someone is making a right turn on red versus just blowing straight through? And again, wouldn't you rather have video evidence in court instead of just your word against a cop's? You can feel free to actually answer that question in one of these go-rounds.

No, you'll still have those same cars running the "orange" lights.

See, while I feel bad for anyone who's gotten a bum rap for running a red light, I feel much worse for people who are killed because drivers are treating this like a f***ing game. One pedestrian is killed by a car every single week in the City of Chicago, on average. If I have to choose whether to err on the side of letting a few people get traffic tickets or letting more people die, it's no contest. If you want to think of it as an extra little driving tax, that's okay by me; whatever it takes to get drivers to slow down and stop driving recklessly and killing so many people.
I get the impression some people here feel justified in supporting unfair policies out of some kind of punitive impulse toward motorists.

This is the only reason to articulate the argument that a 4.5 second yellow is bad because people would still run it and that ticketing even drivers who WOULD stop if the light was a REASONABLE length is preferable to giving them a fair shake. By that logic, a 1 second yellow is even a better option because people would have to drive very slowly to stop in time, and if some people doing the speed limit are tagged because a 1 second yellow is completely impossible to stop for, then so be it. A "tax" is collected. Of course, that's a ridiculous proposal.

Yes, some people will push it no matter what. But those who intend to obey the law deserve a law that's reasonable. These folks would be less likely to run "orange" lights if they felt safe stopping.

If you want a "tax," fine, I have no problem. The city stickers, for example - a revenue booster - but at least the city isn't insincerely pushing it as a safety issue. This situation is - cue the chorus - WRONG AND UNJUST

Here's my argument AGAIN - If you don't want people running red lights, you got to give them a yellow that can live with. But that's not what the city wants. The city wants your money. The estimate I read in the trib is $75 million a year grossed by those cams. I bet they'd make the yellows even shorter if they thought they could get away with it.

Dan Korn said:
No, you'll still have those same cars running the "orange" lights.

See, while I feel bad for anyone who's gotten a bum rap for running a red light, I feel much worse for people who are killed because drivers are treating this like a f***ing game. One pedestrian is killed by a car every single week in the City of Chicago, on average. If I have to choose whether to err on the side of letting a few people get traffic tickets or letting more people die, it's no contest. If you want to think of it as an extra little driving tax, that's okay by me; whatever it takes to get drivers to slow down and stop driving recklessly and killing so many people.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service