The Chainlink

I've noticed that our friends at the ATA have become quite vocal in support of red light cameras.  I wonder if camera-love is widespread among their membership base (in which I'm included).  I always ride when I'm not working, but I have to drive on the clock, and I've been nailed twice.  Kinda rubs me the wrong way, especially because Chicago seems to have the shortest yellows I've ever seen.  Opinions?  

Views: 446

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the name of science and politics, yes.

Joe TV said:
Good idea. Can I borrow your car?

Michelle Green said:
Get another ticket tomorrow and use it as an opportunity to 1. contest it and 2. double check your math from last time.
Oh man, this is gonna be fun. Wait, do you own a car?

Michelle Green said:

Joe TV said:

Michelle Green said:
Get another ticket tomorrow and use it as an opportunity to 1. contest it and 2. double check your math from last time.

Michelle Green said:
Joe TV said:

Michelle Green said:
Awesome.

Matt AKA Jimbo/BMXican said:

Michelle Green said:
Joe TV said:

Michelle Green said:
I just found some interesting info here: http://www.highwayrobbery.net/indexExpanded.htm#Def3

On this page, less than 1/4 down, there is a table allegedly from CalTrans (California DOT) listing yellow light lengths based on posted speed limits. My MPH limit was 35, and the yellow was 3 seconds (as I noted, I went back and shot it) According this this table that's .6 seconds too short.

Hmm.
Timely thread.
The driver who ran a red light and killed Mandy Annis at Armitage and Kedzie is going to trial this Thursday at Daley Center, starting at 9 AM.
Contact me if you need further details. I took off work to attend.
Actually by the letter of the law entering an intersection you are unable to exit is illegal; when you sit in the middle of the intersection to make a left turn you are breaking the law.

I hate the cameras, they often get triggered by legal right turns on red and eliminate the judgment of an actual person writing the ticket.

I have never been tagged by one but a couple of my employees and father have, several of those where legal right turns on red.

caitlin e said:
I HATE THEM. I have gotten 3 red light tickets over the course of 2 months....this was earlier this year, seeing as how I am now carless. They are so ridiculous, because they don't account for situations in which you have no choice, get stuck trying to make a left turn, etc....ugh, it's all about extra revenue for the state, it's not really doing anything to make intersections safer.
Just got a letter stating that I was ticketed. I had an I-go car and it took them a month to inform me which is past the contestant deadline. I wasn't planning on contesting it as the pictures clearly show me going through the red light but it still bothers me they took a month to inform me. Of course they also charge a $20 "processing fee" which I'm under the impression is on top of the $100 going to the Department of Revenue.
As an x driver (big van), I see what you mean. Though I have run across my share of short yellows; stupid frickin lights, as a pedestrian and cyclist I cant stand people who run lights. A majority of which run them when they could easily have stopped. Too many times has a vehicle almost hit me or in one case hit me, because they thought they could make it. In that thought I'd like to see these people get theirs, but cameras are still not kool in my book. They are the last thing I want...

Its all just one step closer to the US looking like the UK.
I've heard it stated (too lazy to look it up). That initially the rate of rear ending accidents goes up, but after time the rate of accidents resulting in injury and death go down. If that's the case, then I support them.
No one is ever going to like them. But they are effective. Here's a blog post on the recent protest against them.
Hahahaha! This might be even funnier to you if you knew that we have framed cat photos in this apartment.

Matt AKA Jimbo/BMXican said:

Michelle Green said:
Joe TV said:

Michelle Green said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service