I was already thinking about upgrading the wheels on my '71 Schwinn Suburban commuter, and tonight I noticed I have a broken spoke, and another loose one, so it is definitely time.

Are these what I need?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AO5FAQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?i...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AO9KN4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?i...

Or does anyone have 27 by 1 1/4 wheels that need to find a good home?  I already have puncture resistant Continental tires, so I want to stick with the 27" wheels.  I can find Schwinn Tubular S-6 engraved on the rim of the front wheel, and just Schwinn Tubular on the rear rim.

Views: 948

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's the size you  need.  You might be able to find a new 27" wheelset at a local bike shop at similar pricing.  Shipping has got to be pretty expensive for two wheels.

The "Schwinn Tubular S-6" rims are neither tubular nor S-6 in the traditional and conventional uses of these terms.   It's a 27" rim wheel like any conventional 27" wheel and takes 27 x 1-1/4" tires.

You can either put on more modern alloy-rimmed 27" wheels or maybe even 700c if your brakes have 4mm more of reach to them.  Or replace the brakes with longer-reach ones that can reach 4mm more.

Your rear hub is most probably 120mm spacing and the rear wheel you linked is spaced at 126mm.  The front is OK I think at 100mm.  The rear probably can be converted to 120mm by a knowledgeable bike mechanic and re-dished to match. 

Some info on Hub/frame spacing.

I would seriously advise NOT getting Wheelmaster wheels.  They are pretty crappy.   They are poor as far as build quality goes and will probably need some truing and definitely the rear axle re-spaced and correct dishing before use.  The cost of this will probably run more than the cost of the rear wheel and negate any savings you might make buying these online.   Plus, other than having alloy rims (and not being old and used) they are downgrades from the wheels you have now.   You are better off finding a nice set of gently used alloy 27" wheels or 700c if your brakes can reach a little farther.   Craigslist perhaps or your Local Bike Shop might have a set of nicer gently used wheels they might stand behind.    If you can find a nicer set of wheels with 120mm spacing you will avoid having to pay someone to convert them and re-dishing.

Thanks! I'm checking with both my LBS, and a local trusted mechanic. The bike is very comfortable for me, so I enjoy keeping it rolling. If I can improve it, all the better.

Those will work and the rear can be re-spaced to work if your frame is narrower on the spacing but I would just spread the frame a bit to fit it. 

It may be more but do yourself a favor and buy it at a local shop.  The wheel will be properly prepped then.

If you love your Suburban, you'll love it more once you get new alloy wheels.  The original Schwinn wheels are very heavy.   It'll seem like a new bike!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service