The Chainlink

What's everybody's thoughts on Panniers?  Good, bad or ugly?

Thinking about picking some up. 

Thanks

J

Views: 566

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Need more info, like:
-for what use?
-for which bike?

Y'know, the basics :)
Otherwise there is no basis for opinions.
I have a single speed Jamis and a trek MTB

I just need somthing to get to and from work, my lunch and change of clothes for the gym are a bit much on my back...

Arrak Thumrs said:
Need more info, like:
-for what use?
-for which bike?

Y'know, the basics :)
Otherwise there is no basis for opinions.
personally I'm all about panniers. Anything really that makes a bike even more useful then it already is, will always be a plus in my book :D

They can be needlessly expensive however
JFred4 said:
I have a single speed Jamis and a trek MTB

I just need somthing to get to and from work, my lunch and change of clothes for the gym are a bit much on my back...

I think using panniers to carry stuff on your commute is a no-brainer. I guess there is the issue of cost, but you will be more comfortable and better able to control your bike if the stuff you're carrying is in a pannier rather than on your back.

To me, the question is not whether to use panniers, but what type / manufacturer to use. If you commute daily, year-round, think seriously about getting something that is water-proof, or at least very water resistant. If the clothes you bring to work will not stand up well to being rolled (or folded, or scrunched), consider using a garment-bag style pannier. (I have a set that does a good job of carrrying the suits I occasionally have to wear).

If you have other considerations, post them. You'll get plenty of feedback.
I have a pair of Ortlieb panniers that would probably survive a direct nuclear hit on the city and I love them, but for lunch and clothes they're a bit much. If you shop on your bike or need to carry anything that absolutely can't get wet they're great, but I'd look into a serious, Carradice-style saddlebag, as that might fit your needs better.
Yes I can learn something new too. I just call em saddlebags but I don't want to get banned for offending anyone either...
For starters...

Pro's:

-Get's weight off your back leading to less sweat and less discomfort
-Lowers center of gravity of you and bike combined
-Usually increases storage/hauling capacity (panniers only vs. bag only)

Con's:

-Becomes "unsprung" weight on the bike reducing handling or "nimbleness" of bike
-Can cause clearance issues in tight spaces
-Requires addition of pannier rack to bike - an obstacle if you regularly ride multiple bikes.
I agree. I am very much pro-pannier (aka saddlebags). And you can get some reasonably priced ones on ebay.

FatTireFool said:
personally I'm all about panniers. Anything really that makes a bike even more useful then it already is, will always be a plus in my book :D

They can be needlessly expensive however
Be sure to check them out in the store for fit. I had to return mine because I couldn't position them to avoid my heels on each revolution
THANKS GUYS, I saw some over the weekend and found them online for 40-50% cheaper...
If your budget is a bit tight, consider using some cheap army/navy surplus ammo bags (total cost would be around $25). A good many are reinforced with plastic so they keep their shape (you can also waterproof them with silicone spray) and you can attach them via small carabiners:
Attachments:
Make sure they attach securely. The type I bought have a tendency to slip off. A bungee cord helps but it's still something I have to worry about.

RSS

Groups

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service