The Chainlink

Hey all,
Me and a buddy are planning a trip to toronto in the following months and although i've been researching and preparing i still have a few concerns that someone who has (a) been to toronto from chicago (car or bike) and (b) someone who has traveled a long distance such as this.

firstly: i am concerned that there will be a lot of hills or rough terrain once we hit canada. Considering we are used to the flatness that is midwest, I would just like to be prepared, so if anyone has traveled to toronto from here, is it mainly flat throughout, or do you hit mountains or big hills on the way?

secondly: both of our bikes are single speed, and i want to get optimal gearing for this long of a trip. I know its hard to give gearing advice because of the many factors that go into it. However, neither of us have traveled this far, and I don't want to be caught off guard with a gearing that felt good the first two days and miserable the next three.

thirdly: (still part of (b)), for anyone who has traveled more than a few days on a trip, is 100 miles a biking day realistic, underestimated, or overestimated? like i've said before after the first couple days would it possibly be too much of a load?

Thanks for all your advice and help! We are very excited about this trip and want to be completely prepared.
-giovanni

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like a great adventure, I did a couple of trips when I was younger that I will never forget.

Here is my two cents: Regarding your iPhone, you can shut off the data roaming on the phone itself in the settings under general then network. In my experience the phone works great as long as you are within 20 miles or so of an interstate, most of the networks are still analog when you get away from the highway. Unless you have some way to charge the battery on your bike, I suggest you leave it turned off until you need it; you'll suck that battery dry in about two hours of internet use.

If you don't already have them, consider investing in a good rack and a good set of panniers. Be prepared to carry lots of water. A few tools, a few tubes (especially if you have presta valves) a good pump, etc. may make the difference between making it unsupported or having to be rescued. The hundred miles per day shouldn't be the problem as long as you are conditioned to your saddle. If you are having doubts, plan a long weekend a month before, that covers 250-300 miles in 3 days.

good luck,
Bill
I once did a century on a fixed gear. Then a month or so later I did a different century on a geared road bike. It's difficult to factor the differences that the wind and hills made, but even still I averaged almost 2mph faster on the geared bike. More importantly, I was not sore after 100 miles on the road bike and quite sore after 100 miles on the fixed gear.

It sounds like a little more training and preparation is needed here. But at the very least, I would make your goal 50 miles for the first couple of days and work your way up from there. If you've never ridden 100 miles before, planning to average 100 miles per day seems unrealistic, especially on a single speed.

Regarding hills and headwinds: My advice would be to do a flip-flop hub like someone suggested...16t on one side and 19t on the other? Or better yet an internally-geared hub. Even a three-speed will help. Also, you might try a "shakedown" trip of some sort...maybe to Rockford or Madison or Milwaukee and back...making sure to load your bike with the same stuff you plan to bring to Canada. And put a lot of thought into what tools you might need, hydration, spare parts, clothing for different weather, etc.
thanks for the advice everyone, i just got my rack and panier and a cyclocomputer so now i'm just going to spend the next months training, eating right, and going back and forth to Wisconsin and long weekend rides, hopefully it warms up soon! my fingers are freezing still.

definitely think i'm going to install a sturmy hub, unfortunately my 3spd bike was stolen the other day (if anyone comes across a mint blue 3spd schwinn collegiate with a missing right pedal let me know please!) so i'm going to have to build one up.

i will also be blogging my status at crazyguyonabike.com so hopefully it has a happy ending. thanks for the support (for those of you who have given it to me).
Two things that weren't fully covered: 100mi/day will be pretty heavy, and not allow much time for enjoying it. You'll feel under the gun every day to crank out those miles. I would rather add a few days to the trip. Maybe just bike there, and train back if you don't have the time.
second: crossing into Canada from this direction w/a bike is tricky. I believe the bridge to Windsor is closed to bikes, there may be a shuttle. You may be better off going more north. You don't want to be in sight of CA w/no way to get there.
definitely think i'm going to install a sturmy hub, unfortunately my 3spd bike was stolen the other day (if anyone comes across a mint blue 3spd schwinn collegiate with a missing right pedal let me know please!) so i'm going to have to build one up.

i will also be blogging my status at crazyguyonabike.com so hopefully it has a happy ending. thanks for the support (for those of you who have given it to me).

1) Be sure to file a theft report about your bike on the Chicago Stolen Bike Registry: http://chicago.stolenbike.org/ Bikes have been returned and others might learn from your experience.

2) Post your crazyguyonabike blog url before you go!
Homebuilt said:
Two things that weren't fully covered: 100mi/day will be pretty heavy, and not allow much time for enjoying it. You'll feel under the gun every day to crank out those miles. I would rather add a few days to the trip. Maybe just bike there, and train back if you don't have the time.
second: crossing into Canada from this direction w/a bike is tricky. I believe the bridge to Windsor is closed to bikes, there may be a shuttle. You may be better off going more north. You don't want to be in sight of CA w/no way to get there.
yeah we have a couple extra days of leeway and from what it seems we might need them, we also will bike taking a train partly back because as much as i'd love to take 2 weeks of vacation, job and school don't permit it.
also we have a friend in detroit who is going to drive us over the border
Hiya-

Rode from Chicago and through Toronto en route to Montreal last summer- it's a wonderful ride. I'd say 100 miles/day is possible but not desirable. Though you'll be surprised how quickly you become acclimated to loaded riding, that pace will prevent you from enjoing the experience as much as you could.

You may run in to a few hilly bits- there were portions of my route that took me over the Niagara Escarpment (totally beautiful but included some ugly grades)- but nothing terrible.

Two things I can't overstate: once you're in Toronto, consider staying @ Clarence Castle, a hostel at 8 Clarence Square, one block north of Front and Spadina. Friendly people, good food, great location. Also think about dropping in at the Community Bicycle Network, a West Town Bikes-style co-op where you can spend a few hours relaxing, doing minor maintenance, and meeting charming Canadian cyclists. Located at 761 Queen Street.

Have an amazing trip!
-megan

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service