The Chainlink

Only 1/4 of Divvy type cyclists are women 538 (Nate Silver) discusses "Why Women Don't Cycle"

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/why-women-dont-cycle/

The 538 website explores the research on this issue and finds that "fashion" issues run a distant third to safety and childcare responsibilities, and suggests an additional issue, income disparity with men.

Researchers found that for the bike-share programs in New York, Chicago and Boston only 24.7% of riders are women. Other research indicates that in the U.S. about 24% of bike trips are made by women, whereas in Germany it's 49%, Netherlands 55%.

The article highlights these issues: women are more concerned with "stranger attacks", and the "inability to carry children or other passengers" than men. It also suggests that cost (and incoe disparity with men) is a factor.

Jim

Views: 227

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have to say I get more harassment when riding my bike than I do just walking down the street. Got the fan favorite guy leering "I want to ride with you" just last night on my way home. So while I hadn't thought about that being a bit discouraging to women riders specifically - it doesn't surprise me. While in some ways I feel safer on my bike than walking later in the evening it does seem to make me an easier target for random harassing comments.

The multi-tasking/carrying of stuff definitely is a deterrent for me. I decided not to ride today between the potential for storms and the multiple things I have to get done after work that requires extra stuff in my bag. So I decided that public was the way to go.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service