The Chainlink

Offering a full time job at the Millennium Park Bicycle Station!

This is the ad I placed in craigslist. I'd rather hire someone who's enthusiastic about riding and cyclecommuting so if anyone out there has the stuff it takes (as listed below) e-mail me asap! I can get you an interview as soon as Monday!

Membership Concierge

Millennium Bike Station is looking for an outgoing, cycle-minded early riser to staff our bicycle commuter station. You will be the face of Chicago’s downtown biking community! Responsibilities will include organizing and updating membership information, recruiting and signing up new members, regular upkeep of facilities and promotions and other office duties as needed.

Qualified applicants should have previous clerical and health related work experience as well as excellent communication and phone skills.

Excel, Word, Power Point, and Outlook skills also a must.

Start time is 6am, Monday-Friday. Pay is 9/hr.

Please email resume to mark@bikechicago.com and include a paragraphs explaining why you want this job and why you would be good at it. Visit www.bikechicago.com . Thanks!

Views: 212

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Depends on the bike shop I am sure but my research indicates, yes.

Julie Hochstadter said:
9 an hour is better than an unpaid internship or volunteer only position. Is this any less than a bike shop employee starts at?
Do most bike shop positions require previous health related work experience and ms office proficiency and a written essay? Glad there's a job opening, but just seems like they are low-balling considering what they are asking for. It is an employer's market though right now...
Gosh, you make more working at a coffee shop.

Any fool can get hired at a bike shop so no, they don't.

Vando said:

Do most bike shop positions require previous health related work experience and ms office proficiency and a written essay? Glad there's a job opening, but just seems like they are low-balling considering what they are asking for. It is an employer's market though right now...
WOW!  I think the wage listed is not bad considering the fact that you are getting paid to work on bikes.  I mean sure he might be under paying but it is a job and considering the job market out there, I don't believe one should be complaining.  You gotta start off somewhere?
Eibeing that its a full time position, you can't even really get a second job to support yourself. This is not a living wage, regardless, what the job is. And after taxes. You need to work an hour just to buy a burrito.
Sadly Iggi 9 bux isn't bad. There are kids at the book store makin less. It's not a job for adults. A young 20 maybe.
Most jobs pay less than $9 an hour. If you get a job at a pet store, book store, target, grocery store, anything like that chances are you start at minimum wage or a little bit above. As a "support" manager at Pet store I barely got above $9 - but I only did that for a few months than went back to school.

For a VERY young adult with no other debt and no family this is hoovering at the livable wage line, but just barely. 

I have often wondered why labor organizations are so hard on Walmart (who's pay and benefits are borderline livable) when hotels, grocery stores, big box stores and fast food offer much worse conditions for workers. 

This is a small business and so I am not quite outraged at the wages offered, but really we should start expecting more from businesses.  While employment is better than no income, paying workers more is one measure that has been shown to have a direct positive impact on the economy.  For every dollar more earned it is another that person will dollar spend.  

The vast majority of entry level retail work pays at or near minimum wage, though there are exceptions.  Thus I get a little tired about all the Wal-Mart criticism.  Now for a labor heavy operation such as a supermarket raising everyone's wage say $1.00 an hour sounds nice, but that's a pretty big cut into profits for the owner.  Off hand I'm going to say my neighborhood market has 25 employees at any one time and is open 14 hours a day.  Raise wages a $1.00 an hour, 25 x 14 is $350 a day and $127,750 a year.  Now I have no idea how much the owner makes but that would be a pretty big pay cut.  Now lets say the city or the state steps in and mandates this wage increase.  The realistic outcome is the owner will cut hours or jobs or raise prices which frankly doesn't accomplish much.

It isn't just retail. I'm in journalism and there is nothing at all uncommon about someone breaking into the field with a salary of less (often well less) than $30k, which given the 60 hour weeks a lot of people work can leave you at around $9 an hour or even below minimum wage.

One of the problems here is that businesses are essentially subsidizing operations with this cheap labor, which ends up locking a lot of people who can't count on support from their parents out of the kind of apprentice work you need to do to get a decent job as a reporter or at a non-profit or whatever.

Minimum wage is the going rate for clerical bike station jobs around the country. Some are staffed by volunteers. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service