The Chainlink

Apparently the "Occupy Wall St" movement has spread.

Anyone want to ride/stop by Willis Tower tomorrow night? Who knows... this just may be history in the making.

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/09/occupy-chicago-protest-en...

Man, I'm itchy for some change. Would be nice if the movement had a couple cohesive messages; some actual solid demands. I suppose "change is really necessary" is okay for now.

And from the looks of it, the crowd could probably really need that good ol' CCM energy. Well, without the part where we wreck stuff. Not that part. I mean the jovial part. It's a PEACEFUL protest :)

Views: 1331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1) I thought they were located in front of the Federal Reserve on LaSalle Street?

2) Does supporting CCM mean that we have to support this too? Because I don't. 

You're totallytotally right.

Here: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?q=Chicago+Board-Trade+Library&...

And no, I'm not proposing this to be the "Occupy Chicago" ride :)

I ride by there every day. Today it looked bigger.

Jera Sue what do you propose to be the specific message of this protest?  I noticed your comment below. 

"Man, I'm itchy for some change. Would be nice if the movement had a couple cohesive messages; some actual solid demands. I suppose "change is really necessary" is okay for now."

Check out the TPM article on Occupy Wall Street:

The “Occupy Wall Street” protests, now entering their third week, are poised to get a whole lot bigger than its core of 200 to 300 people, potentially even exceeding the protesters original goals of 20,000 demonstrators, thanks to recent pledges of support from some of New York City’s largest labor unions and community groups.

On Tuesday, over 700 uniformed pilots, members of the Air Line Pilots Association, took to the streets outside of Wall St... demanding better pay. On Wednesday night, the executive board of the New York Transit Workers Union (TWU Local 100), which represents the city’s all-important train and bus workers, voted unanimously to support Occupy Wall Street. TWU Local 100 counts 38,000 active members and covers 26,000 retirees, according to its website.

Since when does CCM "wreck stuff" ?

Thanks for the bump, Julie. Saw this. It really is gaining steam.

I just spent a great deal of my time, three days in a row, down at Jackson and LaSalle. I can tell you, the energy is thick with anticipation and relief that somethings finally giving.  

I'm at work right now, but I'll be there for the 7pm General Assembly meeting, if anyone wants to meet me up!

The Venerable NYTimes is finally taking note as well.  This is following the same pattern as the Arab Spring in general and Tahrir Square in particular: Occupy Wall Street.

Really exciting, the coverage beginning to come in.

It's really, really hard, after all the disappointments, to just let down our guard even a little and just... be optimistic. Every now and then, I get a whiff of that over there on the sidewalk in front of the Federal Reserve. People are just too, too wary of hope. They're holding back a little. Change is often scary, and can be really messy.

So while I believe it's really important that everyone who can be there, is there (if only just to see), I understand the hesitation.

Get a load of this as well!

America is about to experience the same youth-driven, hyper-networked wave of grassroots protests against economic inequality and political oligarchy that have been rocking countries as disparate as Tunisia, Egypt, Israel, Greece and Spain. The occupation of the Wisconsin state legislature last winter was a harbinger, but now all kinds of previously disconnected individuals, loosely centered on a core of beautiful-style troublemakers and inspired by events and methods honed overseas, are linking up and showing up to occupy symbolically important centers in their cities, from near Wall Street in downtown Manhattan 15 days ago, next to Chicago a week ago, to an explosion of events all over major cities across America this weekend, including at the Federal Reserve building in Boston, MacPherson Square in Washington, DC, to city hall in Los Angeles, plus more than 100 others. This thing is growing in Internet time and no wonder, for it is built on networked culture.

Jera Sue said:

Really exciting, the coverage beginning to come in.

It's really, really hard, after all the disappointments, to just let down our guard even a little and just... be optimistic. Every now and then, I get a whiff of that over there on the sidewalk in front of the Federal Reserve. People are just too, too wary of hope. They're holding back a little. Change is often scary, and can be really messy.

So while I believe it's really important that everyone who can be there, is there (if only just to see), I understand the hesitation.

As with most American news stories I find myself having to go overseas for good coverage. 

The Gaurdian has done a wonderful job of following the NYC protests

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/occupy-wall-street

da' Square Wheelman (aka garth) said:

The Venerable NYTimes is finally taking note as well.  This is following the same pattern as the Arab Spring in general and Tahrir Square in particular: Occupy Wall Street.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service