The Chainlink

Obssessive-compulsive cyclist seeks perfect frame, needs help

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows of a frame or complete bike that is basically like the new Velo-orange pass hunter but with lugs... and front fork mid-blade rack mounts.  Maybe you would categorize it as a randonneur or gravel racer.  I want it to be steel, have lugs, AND a threadless headset, which seem to rule out most vintage bikes, though that would be my ideal combo, vintage lugged and threadless.  I don't have 2000.00 to drop on it either so, that rules out most custom builds. I was hoping there'd be an affordable frame like this that exists somewhere.  id get the pass hunter frame but it doesn't have front mid blade rack mounts or lugs.  :(

It MUST MUST MUST have these things about it:

1. PERFECTLY horizontal top tube... as in:  _____________________

2. "racing style", short chainstay length... I don't want the extra space like touring bikes have between rear wheel and seat tube... BUT with enough room for fenders and fatter tires

Thanks for your kindness and understanding

Views: 942

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would heartily recommend, if you are interested in vintage frames, exploring the option of adding an aftermarket 1" threadless fork (like that Soma) and either finding a 1" threadless stem or using a shim to use a 1 1/8" stem. That's if you can find a frame that checks all of your boxes. If the mid-fork rack mounts and lugs are a necessity I don't think there's an affordable production frameset out there for you. 

You might even find it affordable to get a vintage frame and a custom made fork - that way you can get your rack mounts placed wherever makes sense for what you're using it for, and could have it painted to match your frame. When I've priced a custom fork in the past I've gotten quotes from $250-500 - not cheap, but way cheaper than a full custom frame. 

What I'm really trying to say is, you have unfortunately now got me thinking about building up a bike like this. And so I'm thinking of what my options are, even though I need to get rid of bicycles, not acquire more. You should buy whatever you can afford that makes you want to ride it!

I'll just second what others have said.  Find your perfect frame on Craigslist etc. - vintage lugged steel is pretty easy to come by and most can be had relatively cheap.  Then just get a Surly 1" threadless fork with mid-blade mounts for your rack, and have the frame & fork powdercoated or professionally painted to match each other.  Then you just need a $5 shim to convert 1" to 1-1/8", which is an easy, invisible modification that really opens up 1" threadless to all the many stem possibilities of 1-1/8".  You'll have a nice, unique ride with a vintage feel/look and all the modern component tech for a fraction of a complete custom frameset.

Thank you!  this is great information.

I just had another thought... the 1" Surly fork is meant for cyclocross, so besides having the mid-blade mounts and dropout eyelets, it also has mounts for canti or V brakes.  Unfortunately it's the only production 1" threadless 700C fork on the market with mid-blade mounts that I know of.  I do believe the brake posts are removable, but if you want everything to match completely, you'll want to try to find a frame with canti/V mounts as well.  I bet you could still find an 80's or early 90's cyclocross frame that meets your specifications.

+1 for the Stanyan, I love mine. Sporty, Comfortable, a real looker with the polished head tube lugs and fork crown.

Yup, right now I'm see-sawing back and forth between some vintage cyclocross frames i'm finding on ebay and the stanyan.  Nice to see some of those old cx frames have lugs.  then Id just plop in threadless fork as suggested.  Im pleased with my options at this point, just need to surf the craigs and ebay a bit longer.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service