The Chainlink

I heard that the Northerly Island path was taped off today. Anyone hear anything about this? Is it just the beach entrance or can we still get on via the parking lot entrance? I imagine this has to do with the planned expansion of the Charter One Pavilion...

Views: 2413

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Shame on the Park District for not getting this done over a weekend, so we would not be inconvenienced. The whole plan is here. Take a look at the rendering and you will see that this is a massive undertaking and will take a little longer than planting a backyard garden. Take a look at the rest of the plan and you might feel that will be worth the wait.

Wrong Gene! That is the maybe someday, maybe not, plan. This is the plan that has been greenlighted. Just a reworking of the grade on the south part of the island and some new plantings. They say this will take a year here. It only took them about a month after the new concert venue was greenlighted to get that massive project done. I bet that was a bigger undertaking. So I think "S" makes an very valid point. It only takes a month if there is money for them in it. Meanwhile, I have not seen them moving dirt on the south end in weeks. They claimed they were going to let Fishermen to the southeast part of the harbor when work is not going, but they just left it closed. After all, there is no money in letting the public use public land.

I understand that it would be a multi-year undertaking.  It's just that I don't have any confidence in the city and park district actually following through and completing the project instead of canceling it due to financial issues or something similar.

Gene Tenner said:

Shame on the Park District for not getting this done over a weekend, so we would not be inconvenienced. The whole plan is here. Take a look at the rendering and you will see that this is a massive undertaking and will take a little longer than planting a backyard garden. Take a look at the rest of the plan and you might feel that will be worth the wait.

They should have just left it as an airport. I guess hobby pilots are dying out but I have fond memories of visiting Chicago for day trips with my family when I was little. After it was torn down my dad boycotted Chicago and has only came to visit because I moved here.

Flying isn't just for the rich or privileged. My dad flies as a hobby, just like anyone else has a hobby. There are flight communities that have shared airplanes and are paid for communally or through clubs. You can pay just enough to have the airplane for a few days just like you would rent a car.I know hobby pilots are a small population of people, but the city has lots of venues that benefit specific groups of people. This noisy/windy section of city should have been left an airport.

That's my opinion, but I know I am biased.

So, I think I'm leaning towards heading over to Wallflowers/Crows tomorrow (it's not sold out-- will try my luck at the ticket window since basic ticket price is almost as much as the fees).

Looking at the prices and availabilty, it's possible some of my concerns were unfounded...  at least for now you can still roll up to the venue and see big name bands of decades past for under $30...

Well, that was a feel-good tweet for sure, but it didn't happen.

Bike parking is completely unchanged from last year.  There is one rack of 5 inverted 'U's:

This was around 6:30 (first band started around 7:30).  When I came out later I did a quick count and estimated there were about 70 bikes there (I'd say this event was about 3/4 sold.) Most were locked to fences across the service drive where various private property signs were posted.

Disappointing.

JeffB (7+ miles) said:

FYI, I tweeted Gabe Klein (@gabe_klein) asking if expanded bike parking was included in the plans for the venue and he tweeted back "yes!".

Anne Alt said:

Perhaps if everyone contacted Live Nation and suggested that a quantity of bike parking (or even bike valet) be added at Charter One Pavilion, they might get the message.  Worth a try.

h' 1.0 said:

Hopefully they'll increase the bike parking capacity along with the venue size. It's already woefully inadequate.  I'd almost suggest locking by the Planetarium if they don't. 

Any chance one of you yung-uns can call him on the Tweeter and ask what happened to this?

h' 1.0 said:

Bike parking is completely unchanged from last year.  There is one rack of 5 inverted 'U's:

This was around 6:30 (first band started around 7:30).  When I came out later I did a quick count and estimated there were about 70 bikes there (I'd say this event was about 3/4 sold.) Most were locked to fences across the service drive where various private property signs were posted.

Disappointing.

JeffB (7+ miles) said:

FYI, I tweeted Gabe Klein (@gabe_klein) asking if expanded bike parking was included in the plans for the venue and he tweeted back "yes!".

Anne Alt said:

Perhaps if everyone contacted Live Nation and suggested that a quantity of bike parking (or even bike valet) be added at Charter One Pavilion, they might get the message.  Worth a try.

h' 1.0 said:

Hopefully they'll increase the bike parking capacity along with the venue size. It's already woefully inadequate.  I'd almost suggest locking by the Planetarium if they don't. 

That's unfortunate news. I was planning to ride to see Phish on the 20th. 

I asked him if he could look into the state of the expanded parking via twitter this morning and his response was: "yes, have @ChicagoDOT looking at it".

h' 1.0 said:

Any chance one of you yung-uns can call him on the Tweeter and ask what happened to this?

h' 1.0 said:

I have a huge urge to organize a protest outside Phish for better bike accomodations.

Who's in?

(BTW I was informed yesterday that a "parking fee" is included in every ticket.)

And while I'm in a venting mood... I didn't mention that the security goons had formed a line to route people leaving the venue toward the north and east; most of the bikes were off to the left (west)  as you leave, and when I tried to go towards my bike I was actually shoved back by two of the goons. Left me feeling really great about the whole experience....

David Barish said:

That's unfortunate news. I was planning to ride to see Phish on the 20th. 

Yes. A parking fee was included in my ticket. I do not plan on availing myself of this benefit.  Big question- did the security goons let you bring a bag into the venue? I will have a pannier  for lock, pump, bike essentials, personal items and the blanket that I plan to use since I have a lawn (er mud) seat.

Parking fee may be included in the ticket price, but they will still charge for parking on the day of

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service